Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: origins of the formula
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe History
Pages: 1, 2
delirium
I've been picking information from here and there and noticed that there are several versions of the origins of the formula of absinthe.

Here are some bits from the web:

Dr. Pierre Ordinaire invented absinthe in 1792
on his death he supposedly left his secret recipe to Henriod sisters who then left it to Major Dubied (whose son-in-law was named Pernod)

Major Henri Daniel Dubied was interested in Ordinaire's invention as an aperitif. He purchased what was reputed to be Ordinaire's original formula from two sisters named Henriod

it is documented that Henriot sisters were making the drink before Ordinaire's arrival in the Val de Travers
according to swiss version of the story, it was Henriod sisters who wre the original inventors and Ordinaire was a scoundrel who stole the formula, selling it to Major Dubied, who in turn employed Henri Pernod, who would become Dubied's son-in-law

it began with Abram-Louis Perrenoud, a distiller by trade, living in Couvet in Val-de-Travers.. Major Henri Dubied purchased the recipe from Perrenoud, employing Abram-Louis's son Henri-Louis who had learned the distilling trade from his father

which seem to give us few options of the route the recipe went:

Dr. Ordinaire -> Henriod sisters -> Major Dubied

Henriod sisters -> Dr. Ordinaire -> Major Dubied

Abram-Louis Perrenoud -> Major Dubied

Are there any reliable sources for the origin of the formula?

Jaded Prole
. . .
thegreenimp
QUOTE(J.M. Legendre @ Oct 5 1984)
I employed William B. Wisdom to promote and advertise “Herbsaint”, having a very fertile mind, he prepared recipe books and all sorts of advertising material. He painted Herbsaint as being a most delectable drink and described the product in glowing terms.
Wisdom stated that the formula for Herbsaint was handed down from father to son and had been in the Legendre family for a long time.
I told him that this might be questioned but he said It is of no great importance.
As a matter of fact, I have never been questioned on this subject and I have never changed any literature
printed by me and by Sazarac. No one really cares how Herbsaint came about as they either enjoy it or do not enjoy this drink.

Of course Wisdom didn't figure one internet crazy into the Legend… harhar.gif
G&C
Not very wise of Wisdom…
L'Assommoir

[/quote]

it is documented that Henriot sisters were making the drink before Ordinaire's arrival in the Val de Travers
according to swiss version of the story, it was Henriod sisters who wre the original inventors and Ordinaire was a scoundrel who stole the formula, selling it to Major Dubied, who in turn employed Henri Pernod, who

If someone says "it is documented" , and don't you show any documents….
It ain't documented.
Artemis

I doubt it, but:
The sisters were named "Henriot".
Perrenoud, Perrenod, and Pernod are not really different names, but different spellings of the Pernod family name. Abram-Louis (born 1735) used both spellings in his lifetime, whereas his son Henri-Louis seems to have been of the generation during which it changed to Pernod for good.
Henri-Louis married the daughter of Mr. Dubied.
Abram-Louis was known to have written a book which contained a recipe for extract of absinthe.
delirium
Thanks for the clarification.
Jack Batemaster
Et Dr.O n'existe pas.
Père Ubu
What about N. Africa Arabs using A vulgaris to balance out Arak, and the euros immitating that, but with their own and fragrant artemesia, Aa?
Jay
QUOTE(Artemis @ Aug 19 2012, 01:21 AM) *

Abram-Louis was known to have written a book which contained a recipe for extract of absinthe.

Yes, it appears that Abram-Louis' recipe is from 1794 or 1797. Most likely not THE original recipe, but as far as I'm aware, it's the earliest known publication of an absinthe recipe which was meant as a beverage, and not a medicinal aid. Here it is:

Extract of Absinthe

For 18 pots of eau-de vie
(approximately 34 litrers)
a large bucket of grand wormwood
2 handfuls of lemon balm
2 of green anise
same amount of fennel
some calamus
some mint

Colour:
1 handful of petite wormwood
same amount of hyssop
Artemis
QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ Aug 20 2012, 04:21 PM) *
Et Dr.O n'existe pas.

IPB Image
Artemis
Pierre, a surgeon, was born 11 September 1741. So we have Abram-Louis, Mr. Dubied, and Dr. Ordinaire, and the Henriot sisters, all of whom could have seen each other face to face. There's probably no way to know who low-balled whom for the sacred formula.
Jack Batemaster
Pas Dr. O, mais Dr.O.

Il n'existe pas.
Artemis
Peut-être il est un spectre, ou une marionnette, ou la marionnette d'un spectre, ou du spectre d'une marionnette.
Tibro
So many marionettes. With all those strings one could weave a web…
Jack Batemaster
Il n'y a jamais assez de marionnettes
Artemis
QUOTE(delirium @ Aug 20 2012, 11:17 AM) *
Thanks for the clarification.

You're welcome, but it seems that the spelling "Henriod" appears as much or more so than "Henriot", so I might have been wrong about that. People weren't as finicky about spelling their names back then.

So we have:

Abram Louis Perrenod (1735-1811)
Dr. Ordinaire (1741-1821)
Daniel-Henri Dubied (1758-1841)
Henri-Louis Pernod (1776-1851)
Mere Henriod (Suzanne-Marguerite, an herbalist) (1756-1843)
and her three daughters, the Henriod sisters:
Suzanne-Françoise (1791-1843)
Charlotte-Justine (1793-1866)
Cécile (1796-1868)

Henri-Louis began working as a distiller in 1797 for Mr. Dubied, whose daughter he married. At that time, all of these people were living in the same town, but the Henriod sisters were just children. In all likelihood, all of the adults knew each other and all of them were familiar with absinthe extract, as were, probably, any number of other people. The sisters probably carried on from their mother, but if you do the math, none of the adults could have obtained any recipe from them, at least not for the stuff that was produced in 1797.

delirium
Absinthes.com just informed that they are going to publish a history of absinthe in parts. Apparantely their maths is different., as they say that it was Henriod who gave the recipe for Dubied. Well, the details of history blur.
Tibro
What's that old saying, "sell the most product and you get to write that it's history"? Or was it, "to sell the most product you need to write its history"? Something like that.
Artemis
I understand that Mere Henriod sold apostrophes in the town square from a refurbished chamber pot.
"Utilisez-les soigneusement", the old lady would say, "ils ne sont pas aussi rares qu'ils devrait être".
Tibro
I bought 'em in surplus. Use 'em or lose 'em wuz what I wuz toll.
Artemis
Dr. Ordinaire sat on a park bench with a pocket full of apostrophes, inviting little girls to help themselves. At supper time, the Henriod sisters were squirming.
"Qu'est-ce qu'il y a avec vous ? Avez-vous des fourmis dans votre pantalons?", asked Mere Henriod.
"Non, c'est ces apostrophes maudite de Dr Ordinaire. Il y a quelque chose qui ne vas pas avec cet homme!", replied Suzanne-Françoise.
Tibro
It's history now. Don't worry about it.
Artemis
I'm not worried, but I've got angst in my pants.
Tibro
I call mine Billy.
Donnie Darko
Apostrophe Catastrophe!
Jay
QUOTE(delirium @ Aug 25 2012, 07:10 AM) *

Absinthes.com just informed that they are going to publish a history of absinthe in parts. Apparantely their maths is different., as they say that it was Henriod who gave the recipe for Dubied. Well, the details of history blur.

Considering that the Absinthes.com account refers to absinthe as a liqueur in the introduction, a grain of salt apparently isn't the only thing their version of history is meant to be taken with.
Artemis
Major Dubied quickly recognized the rising demand for this elixier, so he bought the recipe, and together with his son-in-law, Henri-Louis Pernod, he opened the "Dubied Father & Son" distillery in 1798.

I thought it was 1797, but in any case, Pernod was not the son-in-law of Dubied at the time. Only after his wife died in 1806 did he marry Dubied's daughter, in 1807. Dubied had at least one son of his own, named Marcelin.
it is nearly safe to say, that not Dr. Ordinaire distilled the wormwood elixir, but Henriette Henriod

Safe, maybe. Accurate, not so much. I can see no reason to doubt Dr. Ordinaire made concoctions of his own. He was a doctor, and it's something doctors often did in those times. How much he and the mere de apostrophes shared with each other will never be known, but they did live next door to each other, so ...
Artemis
Could she smell what the Doc was cooking?
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Fait d'asseoir sur un banc de parc, en regardant petites filles avec la mauvaise intention.
delirium
QUOTE("Jack Batemaster")

Pas Dr. O, mais Dr.O.

Il n'existe pas.

Anyone care to clarify?
Artemis
Trying to clarify Jack's posts is risky business, but my guess is as follows:

Jack said Dr. O didn't exist.
I supplied evidence that he (the French doctor who moved to Switzerland) did exist.
Jack responded that he wasn't talking about the French doctor, but the person who posts here as Dr. O.
dr_ordinaire
Bibo, ergo sum.
Absomphe
And, considering the drain that the purchase of absinthe can be on the wallet, I drink, therefore, I O(we) might also work.
delirium
Ok. I was confused because I was googling here and there about the matter of Dr. Ordinaire and have faint recollections of finding very contradictory information about him.
But you know how it is with a brain of an absinthist…
Artemis
Years ago the information on the Internet was contradictory (still is, if you read in plenty of different places), but you couldn't rely on any of it because it was all, what's the word, anecdotal. Most sources repeated the same story - they were all parroting each other, but they tweaked it a little to suit their own predilections, or changed it unintentionally through error, thus the contradictions. And of course, some of them expressed their belief that the doctor was only a myth.
The independent work done to establish the facts, by people who posted the results at the French forum, as referenced in the Calling Dr. O. thread, was fairly recent, and ground-breaking actually. Nobody before that had presented birth and death records, not that I saw or heard of, anyway.

What we know now is that the man definitely existed, was a surgeon, and had children, some of whom grew up to be doctors themselves, and that he fled France for political reasons to live in Switzerland. And that he for many years lived in the same town as other people (Pernod, Henriod, Dubied) who are variously claimed to be originators of absinthe as a commercial product. Anecdotal evidence pegs him as a tall, gangly Ichabod Crane sort of fellow who rode around on a horse (named Rocket) too small for him, dispensing HG cures to the sick, and that can't help but to enhance him in legend.

"I'm riding a small tiny horse, his name is Mighty Little, he's a good horse"
Frank Zappa, about moving to Montana to become a dental floss tycoon.
Alan
A good account by one of the global experts on absinthe history … and in English.
Artemis
and in English

Not originally.
After I got done with it, it was. wink.gif
delirium
Cool, thanks!
Is the information in one message chain in the French forum or spread in several? Link?

L'Assommoir
Here is another good article about the Dr.'s interesting history:
http://www.absinthe-duvallon.com/article-d…-118524375.html
Artemis
QUOTE(delirium @ Mar 27 2015, 06:11 AM) *
Cool, thanks!
Is the information in one message chain in the French forum or spread in several? Link?

There may be more than one thread with discussions of Ordinaire, but the thread wherein his birth certificate was shown (by g_painblanc) with subsequent discussion is here:

http://www.museeabsinthe.com/forums/index....inaire&st=0
Artemis
QUOTE(L'Assommoir @ Mar 27 2015, 08:13 AM) *
Here is another good article about the Dr.'s interesting history:
http://www.absinthe-duvallon.com/article-d…-118524375.html

Indeed. Very good. Just when I thought Google translation was improving, it makes a complete mess of that. So I translated it immediately, but I have been waiting for approval to post it, which I have now received from Duvallon with Marc's help.

Was he real? More real than was comfortable for a lot of people.
Doctor? Almost certainly not.
Con man? Almost certainly so.
Good neighbor? Depends upon whether he was healing your child or stealing your hay.
Political refugee? If fleeing the country to avoid prosecution for deserting the military counts, then yes.

This translation presented some problems. Note that the authors say that they verbatim preserved the spelling and syntax in the excerpts from old documents. I didn't have that luxury and had to figure out what the hell they were talking about through the misspellings, non-standard spellings, old (as in obsolete) French, etc. It's not perfect, but I'm satisfied that it's good enough.

I will serialize it, because it's pretty long.
Artemis
Pierre Ordinaire - the legend no longer has credence
© Michel Kreis – Jacques Grandjean – Jacques Kaeslin

Deserter from the French army, so-called doctor/surgeon and inventor of absinthe in the form of medicine, the legend of Dr. Ordinaire takes a hit after thorough historical research by Michel Kreis, Jacques Grandjean and Jacques Kaeslin.

The history of absinthe extract rests in good part upon legend, notably about the people who are at the origin of the beverage. If the only incontestable fact, at least not called into question heretofore, of this legend is surely the birth in the Val de Travers of this aperitif drink, the associated figures are the object of controversy, sometimes virulent. A number of documents of all kinds recount the beginnings of absinthe, by feeding upon elements of information gleaned hither and yon without the help of old documents to even support their content.
Among these figures, there is one who provokes a multitude of questions and who feeds, in recurrent fashion, the theories on the origins of absinthe extract.
He is Pierre Ordinaire, born on 11 September 1741 at Quingey, a town in the department of Doubs, where his parents are supposed to have been farmers or day laborers.

According to the legend, Pierre Ordinaire was a doctor and surgeon, having found refuge in the Val de Travers, persecuted as he was supposed to have been in France for political and/or religious reasons. He is supposed to have carried a recipe for absinthe extract in his baggage, dispensing the elixir generously to his patients, whom he reached by riding his little horse named Rocket.

The information relative to Pierre Ordinaire developed below rests upon documents of the period that come from the archives of the commune of Couvet and the archives of the State of Neuchâtel, places where each and everyone may consult them. The recent discovery of other documents, heretofore completely ignored, permit the shedding of new light upon the person of Pierre Ordinaire. First let's recall already-known facts.

Artemis
On August 21st, 1768, the assembly of the community of Couvet adopted a resolution which had been taken up in the communities of Môtiers, Boveresse and Fleurier to find a doctor-surgeon for the four villages, such that a pension of one hundred livres faibles would be allocated, at the rate of one fourth of the total each.

Responding to this invitation to tender, Pierre Ordinaire presented himself at Couvet. Here is what the text of the minutes of the assembly says for September 8th, 1768:

"Mr. Ordinaire having come to Mr. Perrelet to submit to the examination required for reception in this place, by means of two louis neufs (currency) of pension and Mr. Perrelet having requested the honorable community to declare itself as to the nature of the exam it requested, it was stated that by presenting his letters of learning and behavior, he would be accepted for one year without further examination."

Three days later, the village assembly met again to render its decision on the candidacy of French doctor Francois Joseph Deleschaux. The minutes show the following:

"Mr. Deleschaux of Besançon having submitted his certificates of mastery to be accepted as doctor and surgeon in this place, it was unanimously stated that he is accepted with these qualifications, however with the reservation that if Mr. Ordinaire, by the eighth of this month, presents his letters of learning and mastery, his acceptance will be reconfirmed."

Dr. Deleschaux did not stay in Couvet, as we will see below. He settled at Neuchâtel as his majesty's doctor, living in the castle. He died in 1819 in the county seat and his body rests in the old cemetery of Landeron, the village where he received Bourgeois status in 1815.
Artemis
Marriage and seven children

Consequently established in Couvet where he lived in the building of the old Eagle Hotel, Pierre Ordinaire married, three years after his arrival, Henriette Petitpierre, daughter of the proprietor of the establishment. The wedding was celebrated on October 28th, 1771 in Russey, another town in the department of Doubs, close to the border with our country. Seven children were born of this union, three born in Quingey and the others in Couvet. The eldest, Pierre Marie Joseph, born on March 20th, 1772 at Quingey, practiced as medical officer in the regiment of the Swiss Guards.

The place of marriage speaks to us, inasmuch as Pierre Ordinaire left his country of origin due to persecution for religious or political motives. And, at that time, this region of Franche-Comté, incidentally very Catholic, was in turmoil and disturbances were severely suppressed there. The reason for the marriage on the other hand is more easily understood with regard to the birth (date) of the first child.

Not respectful of laws and customs

Settled in Couvet, where he had no competition, Pierre Ordinaire did not engender unanimous approval. In effect, not very respectful of the laws and customs of the time and place, he was several times docked for various reasons, for harboring a foreigner or for failing to repair his chimney, or mowing the hay of others. Although married to the daughter of a notable of Couvet, the question of his estrangement from the village was brought up in the village assembly.

At the request of the Council of State. Jacques Frédéric Martinet, captain and chatelaine of the Val de Travers, two reports were written, dated 31 October 1768 and 18 February 1769. In eight pages this magistrate relates information gathered about Pierre Ordinaire, notably about his arrival in our country.
Artemis
Neither talent nor behavior

Below we reproduce verbatim large excerpts from these two documents, respecting the spelling and syntax of the author.

"You doubtlessly recall that one Pierre Ordinayre from Quingey, so-called Master of Surgery and Medicine, presented a request to the Council to obtain permission to exercise his profession in the Val de Travers, to be allocated a pension to get started and that he would be able to produce his certifications to the Commune of Couvet where he makes his residence, this request having been deliberated on the 11th of this month, the Council granted him permission to practice Medicine and Surgery in the Val de Travers, so long as he behaved himself and no drawback was found ...

I take the liberty of representing that the aforementioned Ordinaire has neither the talent nor the behavior required to merit the favor that they in truth conditionally granted, this man, knowing that the Commune of Couvet sought a person who knew Surgery and a bit of Medicine, came and presented himself, bragging about knowing the one and the other, asking simply for lodging or two Louis (currency) and promising to produce valid certifications to prove that he has completed his course of study and taken his exams at Besançon.

... whom they accepted in the capacity of surgeon but on the condition that he in due course produce the certifications that he offered to obtain and show, and finally, that he submit to an exam under the eyes of the King's Physician ...

... however he has satisfied neither the one nor the other of these considerations and two months have passed without Pierre Ordinaire taking even the smallest step toward these ends.

...well understand that not only has he not produced the certificates for which he was asked and claimed that he was not in a condition to undergo an exam, he presented on October 11th the request of which I have spoken above, which contains plenty of random facts

... the Commune notified the aforementioned Ordinarye, finally, telling him that if he would also take the examination he could stay in town, to which Ordinaire responded that he had already done so at Neufchatel and there was nothing else he could do; obviously, he did not do so, but it was Mr. Delechaux who went there ...

... on the other hand I understand that Pierre Ordinaire, who threw a party in the community and drank bottles of wine left and right, thinks he is anchored here, and imagines himself too important for me to find it inconvenient that he stays here ...

I have the honor of praying that the Council authorizes me to tell Pierre Ordinaire that he is forbidden to practice Medicine or Surgery in the jurisdiction of the Val de Travers, and that if he were to go away, it would be for the great good of these quarters

at the start of his residence in Couvet, not carrying any certification, but a declaration that his brother appeared before a notary in Pontarlier, to affirm that his brother (Pierre), who is from Couvet, took a course in anatomy at Besançon, under a Mr. Jussy, and worked under him allegedly for three years ...

declaration contrary to any truth, that they knew of him previously, because he served for eight years with the Regiment of Metz just before he came to Chaudefond in 1767 ...

that I received a letter from the Chief of Staff of the Regiment of Metz of the Royal artillery corps garrisoned at Auxonne, by which I am informed that Pierre Ordinaire deserted on June 20th, 1767, tarrying at Couvet, he asked me to take the uniform of the regiment which he had on his body and send it to him via the channel of Subdelegate Mr. Blondeau, and that is exactly what I did

it is because expelling Ordinayre, he would be greatly afraid of his (Ordinaire's) supporters who are 19/20ths of the Commune, among whom are a number of hotheads, and others whom he had in mind certain people thoughtlessly zealous about Delechaux, who would be driven to acts of violence and excess against the latter ...

the sort that they do not know, as it appears to me, nothing better to do to parry inconveniences and prevent disorders, than to allow to subsist the permissions that the Government granted to both Delechaux and Ordinayre to practice their occupations in the country"

Artemis
Doctor or Not? Deserter or Not?

Another document, an undated letter, signed by ten notables of the village, is addressed to the Council of State. The signatories explain the situation in the village, which cruelly lacks a doctor because of the departure of Mr. Deleschaux and, "in view of the fears of their spouses in losing the subject of an ability which is generally recognized", solicits the authority to give the approval to practice to Pierre Ordinaire.

This request was formulated during January 1769 or the beginning of February. We may deduce this from the decision of the Council of State of 15 February 1769, when it was announced that the request of the suppliants would be examined after the chatelaine of Val de Travers had made his inquiry to determine if it was true that Pierre Ordinaire was a deserter from France.

In the space of some eight months, from November 1768 to June 1769, the Council of State dealt with the case of Pierre Ordinaire in ten sessions, which gives us an idea of the importance accorded to the affair. The references which are made in the books of that authority however do not give us the certainty that we might expect and are even sometimes contradictory, in particular the question of the exam taken, or not, by Pierre Ordinaire as to his ability as a doctor before the royal physician at Neuchâtel.

March 20th, 1769, after having received the second report from the chatelaine about which we have spoken, the Council of State announced, "concerning opinions that the Government received that the named Pierre Ordinaire, so-called surgeon living in Couvet, is a deserter from the Regiment of Metz, Royal Artillery Corps of France, it ordered that Mr. Martinet, Council of State, Captain and Chatelaine of the Val de Travers, give him (Ordinaire) to understand that he must depart this State within fourteen days of the day he is notified, and if he fails to comply, he will be found and punished as fitting."
Artemis
Expulsion Delayed

The communities of Couvet, Môtiers, Boveresse, Fleurier and St-Sulpice asked the Council of State to postpone his decision to evict Pierre Ordinaire, in view of the trust he had acquired from these communities and the unselfish care that he lavished upon the sick. The Council of State did not appreciate this step at all, and let them know it. However, he suspended his order of expulsion until the end of April.

Finally, in June 1769, it was Captain Francois Petitpierre, proprietor of the Black Eagle Hotel, future father in law of Pierre Ordinaire, who intervened with the Council of State. He presented documents attesting that the King of France had granted his pardon to Pierre Ordinaire for deserting from his armies, that the sum of 400 French livres - the price of this royal pardon - had been paid by Francois Petitpierre. The order of expulsion was then retracted and Pierre Ordinaire was authorized to remain in the country as long as he behaved himself.

What to make of this new information? The reports of the chatelaine Martinet are, without doubt, the reflection of information such as he received. Difficult to imagine that he led the Council of State astray with false reports. The details relative to the enlistment of Pierre Ordinaire with the Regiment of Royal Artillery of Metz, stationed at Auxonne, communicated to him by the chief of that regiment, are that the gunner Ordinaire had served eight years before deserting. We can even wonder about this desertion.

Gunner or Surgeon?

In truth, the period of enlistment for this French military unit was eight years, and we can well imagine that Pierre Ordinaire did not have the urge to reenlist, leaving the army without notice or without respecting the rules, scramming "English style" in his uniform. This departure could well qualify as desertion in the eyes of the general staff.

Eight years in the army as a gunner, did it provide the possibility of following the training of a doctor and/or campaign surgeon? It's not impossible, but unlikely. Pierre Ordinaire would not have had to evoke the anatomy course under Dr. Jussy that he took during three years in Besançon and he would have had no fear of passing a competence exam in Neuchâtel.

Uncertainly abides, however, as to his titles and qualifications as doctor-surgeon.
On the one hand, he appears to have been appreciated for his competence by a part of the population; on the other, the Council of State, through the mention it makes of the case in its books, is not at all clear on the exam of Dr. Dublé, king's physician, and Dr. Perrelet on the true competency of Pierre Ordinaire. Uncertainty still reigns as to the examination itself. Of what did it really consist? In a simple presentation of his letters of training and practice, as indicated in the minutes of the community assembly of September 8th, 1768, or something else?
Artemis
Learning surgery at his house

We are completely justified in thinking that the examination consisted indeed only of the ability of the applicant to produce one or more documents attesting to his qualifications as doctor and surgeon, and that Pierre Ordinaire could present nothing more than an attestation of complaisance (medical certificate issued for non-genuine illness to oblige a patient) deposited by his brother with a notary in Pontarlier. From there the conflict with the Commune, the chatelaine of the Val de Travers and the Council of State.

Our thinking in this regard is reinforced by two attestations that Pierre Ordinaire made, on 30 December 1785 and 8 June 1786, before the notary Henriod at Couvet for the benefit of Francois and Jean Ordinaire.

These notary acts relate that Mr. Francois Ordinaire de Levier of Franche-Comté and district of Salins, made under him for two years a study of surgery at his home in Couvet, during which time he treated the sick and made with success a number of difficult cures, in a manner as to merit the approbation of Mr. Pierre Ordinaire, sworn surgeon, as well as that of the public.

Mr. Pierre Ordinaire, sworn surgeon of the town of Quingey in Franche-Comté, says and declares that Mr. Jean Ordinaire, surgeon of Refange, district of Salins in Franche-Comté, made under him for one year a study of botany as well as medicine and surgery, having during that time worked successfully, to the satisfaction of Pierre Ordinaire and other concerned persons, various difficult cures, such that, by his dedication, assiduity, and regularity of his morals, he merited all confidence and the best possible testimonial.

Faculty at Besançon never heard of him

In that way, Pierre Ordinaire managed to establish, with the help of parents, peers, or other acquaintances, an attestation from which he benefited through the intervention of his brother to practice in Couvet. Following the trail of research to Besançon did not allow the discovery of the slightest trace of apprenticeship or study with the faculty he would have followed. In any case, he did not follow the three-year long course of study of Bisontin professor Jacques Philippe Jussy.

Our conviction that Pierre Ordinaire did not receive academic training in medicine and surgery changes to certitude after having consulted the French military archives, preserved at Château de Vincennes, from which we got the following information:
Click to view attachment
The excerpt above is taken from the register of enlistment of soldiers composing the royal artillery corps garrisoned at Metz. It mentions Pierre Ordinaire, son of Nicolas and Suzanne born Fagnon, native of Quingey in Franche-Comté, who was born in 1742. According to his summary of particulars and date of assignment as gunner/bombardier 2nd class, February 19th, 1762, it was for six years. This last detail differs from the eight years mentioned by the chatelaine of Val de Travers in his report to the Council of State.

Born on September 11th, 1741, and not in 1742, Pierre Ordinaire was 20 years and five months old at the time of his enlistment in the army. The son of farmers or day laborers, we can hardly imagine that he had the opportunity to receive training in medicine and surgery before his entrance into the army. Having left the army, he went to live in Chaux-de Fonds, where his presence is already attested in November, 1767.

If he had received such training during his period of service to the King of France, he should certainly not have fallen back on the good will of his brother to obtain an attestation before a notary in Pontarlier to prove his qualifications, and the chief of the regiment at Metz would have mentioned, in his letter to the chatelaine of the Val de Travers, his status as a military doctor, not a gunner.
Artemis
Artemis talking:

That's all of it.
At the end of the piece are the words on a plaque that commemorated a 100-year celebration of Pernod, in 1905.
I'm pretty sure I've translated that before, or seen it in English. In any case, it's pretty much a short version of the standard legend, not worth repeating (again).

Following that is a comment by Duvallon to the effect that when Ordinaire first arrived in Couvet in 1768, advertisements for absinthe extract sold by apothecaries had already appeared, 12 years previously.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.