Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Czech Moon
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Provenance
Czech govt bans some hard liquor sales after moonshine deaths

(Reuters) - The Czech government banned hard liquor sales by street vendors on Wednesday after a sixteenth person died from drinking bootleg vodka and rum containing methanol in the country's worst case of alcohol-related deaths in decades.

The government has imposed the ban indefinitely on the market stalls and street kiosks, which have licences to sell hard liquor. They are common in some Czech towns and often sell vodka, rum and whisky in tiny plastic cups as well as sandwiches and other food.

Such a large number of alcohol-related deaths are rare in the central European state of 10.5 million, although state and industry officials have estimated that illegal alcohol sales have been on the increase and account for 10-20 percent of the market.

Eight more deaths were reported on Wednesday. At least 24 remain in hospital, police spokeswoman Stepanka Zatloukalova said.

Police took a 36-year old man into custody on suspicion of distributing tainted liquor in the Moravian-Silesian region, 350 km (217 miles) east of Prague, where the first deaths happened at the weekend.

A second man was also detained in Zlin, a neighbouring region.

The Health Ministry has carried out 410 checks in bars and restaurants in nine out of the country's 14 regions. It found 70 cases where liquor did not have proper documentation, s uch as a customs or tax stamp, government spokesman Michal Schuster said.
Père Ubu
HGing is not for idiots. Instead of banning all booze, how about jail for distillers making people sick, and a bullet for distillers whose booze killed people. That way idiot distillers will:
Stay away from HG-ing for fear of punishment.
Be locked up.
Become fertilizer.
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(Provenance @ Sep 12 2012, 01:35 PM) *

A second man was also detained in Zlin, a neighbouring region.

C'est Tibro ?
Jack Batemaster
Et je ne croix pas que cette histoire est vrai…
Kirk
Distillers don't kill people, dealers do.
Greytail
Can't one taste or smell methanol from good alchohol?
Provenance
QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ Sep 12 2012, 02:38 PM) *

Et je ne croix pas que cette histoire est vrai…

Je pensais que vous alliez faire tomber les Larmes de la Lune.
Provenance
C'est toute la bière de racine sous le pont.
Greytail
Just answer the fookin question.
Zman
QUOTE(Greytail @ Sep 12 2012, 06:34 PM) *

Can't one taste or smell methanol from good alchohol?

No.
Tibro
I suspect this is not going to be good news for local HGers. Some of the best slivovitz in the world comes from clandestine sources in Moravia.
Greytail
Thanks zman. Always thought it had a distinct smell like wood for some reason. Sad news indeed Tibro.

Btw, the Braveheart quote was meant with humor.
Kirk
HG'ers don't kill. To suggest a home distiller made a product that was lethal is wrong.
The factories that make wood alcohol and other solvents supply a purpose and ask you to not drink it.
A friend of mine works in an ethanol plant, to render the pure spirit undrinkable, one gallon of gasoline is added to several thousand gallons of ethanol, this product cannot be made drinkable and is called "denatured" alcohol.
Greytail
Probably not intending to kill, but I can see where inexperienced or mis-informed HG'ers might not drain off enough of the poisonious alchohol at the beginning.
Provenance
QUOTE(Tibro @ Sep 12 2012, 07:37 PM) *
I suspect this is not going to be good news for local HGers. Some of the best slivovitz in the world comes from clandestine sources in Moravia.

Note to self: Cancel Moravian travel plans.
Tibro
Don't be a fool, Pro. This is Darwin at play, culling bottom feeders. You have nothing to fear. Except your guide.

I don't think this was HGers at all. I think it's black market and untaxed, yes. But I'd bet this was profit driven scumbags adulterating booze to make a buck, not homebrew that was poorly rectified. Someone was told that the barrel fell off the back of a different truck than it actually did.
Provenance
QUOTE(Tibro @ Sep 13 2012, 07:55 AM) *
Don't be a fool, Pro.

It's like, way many decades too late for that.
dr_ordinaire
QUOTE(Greytail @ Sep 13 2012, 06:03 AM) *

Probably not intending to kill, but I can see where inexperienced or mis-informed HG'ers might not drain off enough of the poisonious alchohol at the beginning.

There are no "poisonous alcohols at the beginning". Fermentation will not produce methanol, which was traditionally obtained from the destructive distillation of wood.

You may be thinking of the "heads", the more volatile alcohols that appear at the beginning of distillation. They taste harsh, and probably will contribute to a hangover, but they are not poisonous.
L'Assommoir
This is organized crime at work, not just local backwoods 'shiners.

Someone buys batches of shine, then cuts it with industrial alcohols. Then likely sells it to someone else who cuts it again. Just like the white powder drug trade. Not even a crook wants a dead customer, but when you have a network of greed, this shits going to happen.

Provenance
QUOTE(dr_ordinaire @ Sep 13 2012, 08:12 AM) *
There are no "poisonous alcohols at the beginning".

Tibro
QUOTE(Provenance @ Sep 13 2012, 06:08 PM) *

It's like, way man, decadent late for two hats.

The important thing is, which one do want to be buried in?
Jack Batemaster

Je pense que ce n'est pas possible !
Artemis
QUOTE(dr_ordinaire @ Sep 13 2012, 04:12 PM) *

There are no "poisonous alcohols at the beginning". Fermentation will not produce methanol, which was traditionally obtained from the destructive distillation of wood.

You may be thinking of the "heads", the more volatile alcohols that appear at the beginning of distillation. They taste harsh, and probably will contribute to a hangover, but they are not poisonous.

That's not completely true. Apparently methanol can be produced by fermentation of fruits high in pectin.
http://homedistiller.org/intro/methanol/methanol

However, there is a pervasive myth about methanol in moonshine, which is just that. Poisonous liquor is generally a matter of adulteration, not lack of skill on the part of the distiller.

Provenance
QUOTE(Tibro @ Sep 13 2012, 09:54 AM) *
The important thing is, which one do want to be buried in?

Mebbie this one
Tibro
So, you plan to be buried face down, with this to adorn your overachieving academic ass? Wise guy.
dr_ordinaire
OK, touche. Combining Arty's information about methanol with Provenance's subtle reminder of Paracelsus' dictum, I should have stated:

Fermentation may produce methanol, but in such small dosages that it would not act as a poison for the average human being.
Provenance
The basic point, that the lethal problem was adulteration not distilling incompetence, remains as unchanged as the song.
Tibro
Nor let us forget that the cure for methanol poisoning is ethanol. Proving once again that a good, stiff shot of alcohol has restorative powers.
Tibro
QUOTE(Provenance @ Sep 13 2012, 03:39 AM) *

Je pensais que vous alliez faire tomber les Larmes de la Lune.

Close. Here's one of the labels that the offending substance was being sold under.

IPB Image
L'Assommoir
but the tragedy is that our distillery that was irreversibly damaged. Twelve years of work coming up with proposals labels, receipts and investment in one day was gone.

(googletranslated)

Lunar's website
http://cms.podskalkou.cz/www/cl-50580/7-no…/#article_20804
Tibro
Hey, Pod Skalkou doesn't have it worse than anybody else in the Check prohibition zone now. Sales of all beverages over 20%abv have been banned nationwide.

Well, there's always beer.
Jaded Prole
There's always HG.

Hope they righted your root canal.
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(Thé frère @ Sep 14 2012, 12:28 PM) *

…Well, there's always beer.

et Absimth (moins le «e») ?
Tibro
All ways…

IPB Image
Provenance
I would like to highlight an exceedingly fine but now banned product.

http://www.zufanek.cz/en/products/slivovitz

While the ban will be temporary, the damage to fine distillers may be lasting.

Yep, someone sells poison labeled as booze so ban the legitimate producers. Then all that will be left is….
Père Ubu
QUOTE(Kirk @ Sep 13 2012, 07:53 AM) *

HG'ers don't kill. To suggest a home distiller made a product that was lethal is wrong.
The factories that make wood alcohol and other solvents supply a purpose and ask you to not drink it.
A friend of mine works in an ethanol plant, to render the pure spirit undrinkable, one gallon of gasoline is added to several thousand gallons of ethanol, this product cannot be made drinkable and is called "denatured" alcohol.

Good to learn that. Shame some greedy jerk will cost good folks some serious $$ in lost sales.
Kirk
QUOTE(Provenance @ Sep 14 2012, 07:17 PM) *

I would like to highlight an exceedingly fine but now banned product.

http://www.zufanek.cz/en/products/slivovitz

While the ban will be temporary, the damage to fine distillers may be lasting.

Yep, someone sells poison labeled as booze so ban the legitimate producers. Then all that will be left is….

Ricard!
Père Ubu
The horror…
Tibro
This could certainly get painful for legitimate distillers and liquorists who have already done everything necessary to comply with federal licensing and oversight regulations. That compliance now means nothing. Liquor stores and cocktail bars are shit-out-of-luck until further notice. How long will the prohibition last? Seems to have been instituted without saying what needs to be accomplished in order to lift it.

I bet the screws are going to be tightened on the regulations that the legitimate manufacturers have already had to work under. It may even finally come down on the thuj0ne hypers and their supposedly mega-dosed assbinths sold in defiance of EU regulations. Strict thuj0ne testing in the Czech Republic could be one outcome.

This is not to say that I think more regulation of the industry is a good thing. I don't think it's even a necessary outcome. Just as I think the complete lock-down on alcohol is an unnecessary over-reaction. The politicians want to be seen doing something even when they don't understand the problem, let alone a rational way of dealing with it.
Tibro
The quirky side of the prohibition means that anyone now imbibing hard alcohol can truthfully brag about drinking pre-ban.
Père Ubu
Sad to say I got two bottles of pre-ban now. I hope Martin can do something. Effectively he has been legislated out of business. Pure, 100%, bureaucratic caca.
G&C
QUOTE(Tibro @ Sep 15 2012, 12:06 AM) *

This could certainly get painful for legitimate distillers and liquorists who have already done everything necessary to comply with federal licensing and oversight regulations. That compliance now means nothing. Liquor stores and cocktail bars are shit-out-of-luck until further notice. How long will the prohibition last? Seems to have been instituted without saying what needs to be accomplished in order to lift it.

I bet the screws are going to be tightened on the regulations that the legitimate manufacturers have already had to work under. It may even finally come down on the thuj0ne hypers and their supposedly mega-dosed assbinths sold in defiance of EU regulations. Strict thuj0ne testing in the Czech Republic could be one outcome.

This is not to say that I think more regulation of the industry is a good thing. I don't think it's even a necessary outcome. Just as I think the complete lock-down on alcohol is an unnecessary over-reaction. The politicians want to be seen doing something even when they don't understand the problem, let alone a rational way of dealing with it.

Just like lawmakers to make more laws because criminals were breaking those existing.
Crush the law abiding to accomplish… nothing.
Well except perhaps make somebody feel good.
Because we all know, no matter what the new regulations might be, those criminals will be surely obey them…

Criminals always obey the law, don't they?
Tibro
So there are these two Czechs watching their favorite soccer team on TV. Their team is already losing 2-0 when the opposition scores a third goal.

"Oh, man, they suck. This is terrible. I don't want to see this any more."

"You're right. Fucking awful. Let's drink another shot."
L'Assommoir
Looks like some want to blame Poland.
here
Jaded Prole
Boggy!

I suspected as much . . .
Tibro
concentrated antifreeze from Poland for cleaning windscreens sinks

Sounds like Boggy-juice.
Bruno Rygseck
It's that musty hay-flavoring agent, I think.
IPB Image
L'Assommoir
It looks like the Czech ban is helping the small slivovitz producers:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/22/c…tm_hp_ref=world
L'Assommoir
Know if your drinking genuine fake crap, not counterfeit fake crap!

IPB Image

http://www.gsd.cz/absinth%5B1%5D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.