Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comparison
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
SethP
I just bought a bottle of Vieux Pontarlier instead of a Duplais Verte (Retro or US ed.) priced exactly the same and the quantity's the same (70 cl). From what I understand the latter should taste a lot like Duplais Balance and therefore I decided to buy Vieux Pontarlier instead.

My question is if I've perhaps made a mistake of any kind? In my signature you can see what I prefer, but I'm also trying to broaden my palate so to say? I understand that both is regarded as pretty fine absinthes?
L'Assommoir
I think the only 'mistake' you can make with an absinthe buy is if you ignore all the reviews, and buy something that everyone regards as fake or crap. That's just a waste of money.

Tibro
Taste it. If you like it, fine. No mistake.

If you don't like it, fine. Everyone makes mistakes. They're opportunities to learn from.

If you don't learn something from it then that's not a mistake, it's a waste.
Jaded Prole
I like the Vieux Pontarlier.
Provenance
If you don't like it, just have another.
Jack Batemaster
Désolé, je n'ai jamais essayé aucun des deux.
Bruno Rygseck
QUOTE(Provenance @ Sep 14 2012, 10:53 PM) *

If you don't like it, just have another.

It's all so good after three or four
so let's drink Harry,
drink 'til we can't drink no more

(Sparks)
absinthion
No mistake made. Vieux Pontarlier is quality.
SethP
Thanks for all the replies here!

I think I'm actually going to like Vieux Pontarlier. It certainly feels that way, and I know it's not fake or crap or absynthetic sh*t. Perhaps my taste has also developed a bit since I had Nouvelle-Orléans some time ago in the beginning of my absinthe "spree"… And then I still have Duplais Verte to try. But what about my impression about Duplais Verte being pretty similar to Dupl. Balance?

Otherwise I think you, Tibro, wrote it pretty good:
QUOTE(Tibro @ Sep 14 2012, 09:23 PM) *
[…]
If you don't like it, fine. Everyone makes mistakes. They're opportunities to learn from.

If you don't learn something from it then that's not a mistake, it's a waste.

Père Ubu
Both are well made absinthes. Taste is an individual thing. Drink what you like for whatever reason you want, me I'm driven by taste, if I like the taste I drink it, if not, I sink it.
While I didn't like the VP in the traditional way, I love it as a marinade, and I can tell it has cocktail potential.
Duplais Verte is quite nice, it will probably be my next brand in need of re-stocking.
I'm not blessed with an abundant supply of very small batch abinthe, but that is the tastiest.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Père Ubu @ Sep 14 2012, 03:23 PM) *

Both are well made absinthes. Taste is an individual thing. Drink what you like for whatever reason you want, me I'm driven by taste, if I like the taste I drink it, if not, I sink it.

End of story™.
L'Assommoir
QUOTE(SethP @ Sep 14 2012, 03:14 PM) *

. But what about my impression about Duplais Verte being pretty similar to Dupl. Balance?

That is kind of hard to pin down, I mean, they are similar. But absinthe is such a hand crafted small batch drink you can get a lot batch to batch and vintage variations.

I think it is more interesting to try a wide variety at first, then go back and compare different products from the same distiller.

But, if you find something from one producer that gives you that "wow" , then getting something else from the same maker is a good bet.

sbmac
My memory of Balance was that it has a quite a bit more coriander than the Duplais Verte.
I could be wrong however; I seem excel at that these days.
Père Ubu
Somewhat true, but not always. I love Sauvage and L'artisanale, and can't stand perroquette and VP, at least not without sugar. All four well made absinthes from EP.

I find it more useful to find reviewers with, similar palates as mine, and that don't give full marks to everything they toss down their gullet.
SethP
QUOTE(Père Ubu @ Sep 15 2012, 01:39 AM) *

[…] I love Sauvage and L'artisanale, and can't stand perroquette and VP, at least not without sugar. All four well made absinthes from EP.
[…]

By wanting sugar to the Vieux Pontarlier I suppose you personally find it a little bit too bitter, or have I understood you wrong?

I've not tried any of those you mention yet I'm sorry to say. But now I'm at least going to have a sip or two of the VP this coming week. biggrin.gif I guess I will try it with sugar as well, something I normally don't do that much.

I'll post my experiences here of course…
Père Ubu
VP& Perroquette have a citrus like flavor that I describe as grapefruit like. So yes a sour maybe. Many people love those two, so it is a taste thing I guess. I do love the flavor of a strong wormwood absinthe, good quality herbs are crucial to good absinthe.
Funny thing is that the citrusy attribute, makes VP a good marinade.
SethP
Allright. So it's not the "bitterness" in any way you're objecting to (as I misunderstood) but the citrusy sour flavor.

I still hardly can't wait to try Vieux Pontarlier though. For my part I actually like citrusy flavors, but certainly not in any overwhelming way.
hartsmar
Seth, du kommer att gilla den. Vieux Pontarlier är riktigt bra.

Translation: Old horses don't make a weekend.
Esseintes
there is neither horse nor coriander in Duplais Balance
hartsmar
True. Though it goes well with coriander-infused cheval, I'd guess. biggrin.gif
sbmac
Looks like my memory is suspect. I also had Akveld's and Eichelberger at that time.
Who knows what the Hell I'm recalling. Too many absinthes, and not enough notes. I just started drinking the stuff without thinking as much after awhile, which seemed the right thing to be doing.
SethP
I could of course be mistaking, but isn't coriander quite prominent in Dupl. Balances "cousin" Mansinthe? To me Mansinthe got me thinking about cinnamon though, but my taste buds aren't really duly calibrated I think.

hartsmar: I think it (Vieux Pontarlier) will do just fiiiine… biggrin.gif
SethP
yes.gif! I really liked it (Vieux Pontarlier). biggrin.gif

But… I'll probably save a good portion of it until summer. It's so refreshing and clean that I think it'll be just perfect on a hot summer afternoon (and evening). Some citrusy flavor prominent together with an otherwise well balanced high quality absinthe, I'd say. Tasty, but compared to some other absinthes I've had before I tend to use not quite as much water with VP. Also I've not tried VP with sugar yet, but I think that it can even benefit a bit from it, perhaps. (I usually like absinthe without sugar.)
G&C
Personally, I find that any absinthe I don't care for without sugar, only gets worse with it.

Even a cigar doesn't help.
OCvertDe
I prefer VP to Duplais Anything. Jade Anything too, for that Matter™.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.