Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shows where absinthe ought to make a cameo
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
Coralyne
OK, so there's an "Absinthe on TV?" thread already, but I don't see one for "TV that doesn't have absinthe in it, but should". Hence, this post!

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking it would be kind of cool to see random people on TV occasionally just hanging out and having some absinthe without anyone setting it on fire or claiming to tripbalz™, etc.

I know about the Carnivale thing, mind you, but I've never seen Carnivale and in any case, it'd be neat to have the stuff show up in other places just because.

Anyhow…to start, I'm thinking that the US series "White Collar" would be prime absinthe territory. For those who haven't seen it, the basic premise is that this guy, previously in prison for art forgery and other miscellaneous acts of highbrow con-artistry, gets out on sort of a work-release program that entails working as a consultant for the FBI. Hi-jinks ensue, and there you have the show.

It's extremely cheesy in parts and certainly profoundly unrealistic in places, and not to everyone's taste, but a fun watch (for me at least) when I'm in the mood to watch pretty people gallivanting around New York City in search of dastardly art thieves and what-have-you. You just can't take it (or yourself) too seriously.

As for why I'd consider WC a good candidate for an absinthe cameo?

Well, firstly, you've got a lead character (Neal Caffrey, played by Matt Bomer) known for his expensive/refined tastes. He's a fan of nice suits and shockingly expensive wine, and, so why not absinthe?

For another thing, you've got his landlady, June, whose palatial NYC abode used to host a speakeasy-type thing back in the day. You just know she's bound to have a cache of pre-ban stashed inside a wall somewhere.

And then you've got Mozzie, the resident conspiracy nerd/BFF-of-protagonist. He'd of course be the one explaining the legalities of absinthe, past and present, whilst tinkering expertly with a fancy MacGyver-esque hot-rod of a fountain.

Another show I could easily see absinthe popping up in is "True Blood". I mean, if it hasn't already; I haven't seen past season 2 yet (don't like cable, feeling too cheap to buy DVDs, hoping/waiting for the rest to show up on Netflix, etc.). Of course there you risk ending up with a sublot involving necrophiliac were-opossums, but I still think it could work.

Anyhow, I'm curious to know if anyone else on here has had the experience of watching a show and being all, "hey, you know what would really work in this scene? Absinthe!", and if so, what show(s), and why?

[also, wasn't sure if this should go here or in General Discussion; feel free to move if it seems out of place here].
Provenance
Forget the glass teat and settle for life. Carry a flask with absinthe and louche it where you please but perhaps where it's not expected, at work, a diner, a friend's place, a park bench, etc and so forth.
Kirk
That always turns into a show.
Tibro
Not always. Sometimes it's a clandestine affair.
G&C
Even then, it's a show…
Tibro
Taking your pants off again, huh?
G&C
Every chance I get.
Père Ubu
Isn't the protrayal of spirits, especially in a posotive light, banned by the nazis?
Provenance
QUOTE(Provenance @ Jul 13 2012, 08:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Admin @ Apr 30 2004, 12:00 AM) *
We have stated in the past that we cannot allow the discussion
of home distillation. We must now insist in more detail that
the . . . reviewing and adoration of any home distillation
product/experiment is STRICTLY PROHIBITED on FeeVerte.

Fuck that.

Besançon!

Coralyne
QUOTE(Provenance @ Sep 19 2012, 06:31 PM) *

Forget the glass teat and settle for life.

Oh, I don't watch a *ton* of television…I was just idly musing about it whilst in transit on a wifi-enabled commuter train and got curious to see if anyone else might have ever mused along similar lines. The post that ensued sounded a lot more interesting in my head than it did once written out, but I couldn't find a way to delete it. Thus it stands as a monument to my unabashed dorkiness, which I am choosing to revel in rather than attempt to hide under a bushel of Pretend Cool. tongue.gif

QUOTE(Provenance @ Sep 19 2012, 06:31 PM) *

Carry a flask with absinthe and louche it where you please but perhaps where it's not expected, at work, a diner, a friend's place, a park bench, etc and so forth.

That sounds like loads of fun! Were it not for California's draconian "open container" laws…which I only just learned apply not only to containers that are actually open, but to containers that have been opened at some point and then re-sealed. Or something like that. I *have* engaged in louching activities at work (during a Special Office Event), which was nifty, though. (I figured it was worth doing after a co-worker informed me that he'd had absinthe both "on fire" and "on a snow cone", but not, as far as I could tell, in the traditional way).
Coralyne
QUOTE(Père Ubu @ Sep 20 2012, 08:02 AM) *

Isn't the protrayal of spirits, especially in a posotive light, banned by the nazis?

I doubt it, otherwise how would they be able to play various renditions of "A Christmas Carol" on tv? biggrin.gif
Artemis
Anyhow, I'm curious to know if anyone else on here has had the experience of watching a show and being all, "hey, you know what would really work in this scene? Absinthe!", and if so, what show(s), and why?

I haven't seen every episode of True Blood, but I'm pretty sure absinthe never made an appearance. The vampires drink only blood or synthetic blood. The whole thing takes place around Shreveport. Not surprisingly, scenes featuring alcohol tend to favor cheap beer and margaritas.
Absinthe could be worked easily into another HBO series, Boardwalk - it takes place in the early 20s.
Treme is another HBO series, set in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. It wouldn't surprise me if absinthe made an appearance. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see Ted Breaux himself make one.
I've seen every episode of the latter two, and so far there has been no absinthe, not that this is a bad thing.
Provenance
QUOTE(Coralyne @ Sep 20 2012, 11:11 AM) *
That sounds like loads of fun! Were it not for California's draconian "open container" laws…which I only just learned apply not only to containers that are actually open, but to containers that have been opened at some point and then re-sealed.

Oh, please. If you're going to go around adhering to every nitpicking little law, how are you ever going to have any fun?
Artemis
That sounds like loads of fun! Were it not for California's draconian "open container" laws…which I only just learned apply not only to containers that are actually open, but to containers that have been opened at some point and then re-sealed. Or something like that.

The thing about a bottle of liquor in a car is that, when it's sealed, you can say you were taking it home (or somewhere) from the store (or somewhere) with plausible deniabilty. When it's been cracked open, you can still say that, but the suspicion that you've had a nip in the car may come into the picture. Thus, the law makes it easy on the cops - no open containers in the car, period. Open containers outside a car are a different matter in Louisiana, but a lot of things are different here.
G&C
Easy enough.
Put it in the trunk and don't let them look unless they have a warrant.
Kirk
They don't need a warrant.
G&C
They do here
in the land of freedom.
Artemis
They can and do make people wait until they can get a dog there. They can interpret the dog's behavior any way they like. "Lassie says you should open the trunk". At that point, they don't need a warrant to open the trunk, with key or crowbar. This happened to someone I know. But yeah, if you're going to transport liquor in a car, it's smarter to put it in the trunk than on the seat.
Kirk
Odd, today one of my best friends was arrested for pot, without warrant or reason. Two weeks ago another close friend was arrested for the same thing, no warrant. Both are in their mid fifties or early sixties and both are in serious trouble.
Artemis
The land of the free has wasted billions of dollars and ruined many lives trying to keep "free" people from getting high.
Tibro
There's always gotta be a war on somewhere against someone. Or against something. How else could we appreciate our freedom?
Kirk
My friend committed suicide this morning.
Greytail
Are you serious? Sorry to hear that Kirk.
Kirk
Yeah, he won't be going to jail on marijuana charges. 2 people close to me recently joined law enforcement, if this trend keeps up, everyone I know will be prisoner, prison guard, or dead. The privately owned prison near here is blessed with state and law enforcement retirement and health insurance though so I guess everyone should be happy.
I'm pretty much fed the fuck up.
Tibro
Condolences.
Provenance
I am very sorry. My condolences to you, to his family and all of his friends.
sbmac
So sorry Kirk.
L'Assommoir
My condolences as well.
Coralyne
Kirk: yow, that's awful. I don't know you and didn't know your friend, but it doesn't make their death suck any less. Condolences.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.