Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mad men
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
delirium
I have a confession to make. I rarely watch tv-serieses but now I had the feeling that the oblivion that good absinthe offered to me just didn't take me deep enough so I decided to check some easy to swallow entertainment. I had a recollection of an advertisement I saw earlier of this show called Mad Men, which tells about an advertising company in New York in sixties, so I decided to get my hands on this.

Anyway I was just enjoying a glass on absinthe and watching the 12th episode of the first series and noted this scene where the people were watching the precidential elections counts in tv at their office and drinking booze. They run out of liquer and then a dialogue follows:

- I have a bottle of absinthe in my office
- Isn't that illegal?
- It's marvelous. I become incantatory.
- And what does that mean?
- It means he starts making up words.

And now that I have shared this piece of vital information, carry on..
Tibro
Who cares?
L'Assommoir
I dunno, anyone who wants to become incantatory.
G&C
QUOTE(Tibro @ Sep 28 2012, 02:33 PM) *

Who cares?

C'mon T.

You can't be more of an ass than that?
Jaded Prole
Incantatory?
I'm to busy trying to become incapacitated.
Père Ubu
60s? PF Tarragona?
Jaded Prole
Not bad but I've had better.
Artemis
It means he starts making up words.

Not that I expect anybody to care, or give a shit if they do or don't, but that's closer to the truth than the script writer intended. It means verbally invoking a magical effect, but Aleister Crowley said that the best incantations are composed entirely of nonsense words, as opposed to Latin or the like, because those allow the verbal processing function of the brain no foothold where it is not only not required, but certain to interfere.
Greytail
Mad Men is a good series.
Père Ubu
I thought incantations were just bullshit to distract a sucker's attention. According to dictionary.com:

in·can·ta·tion   /ˌɪnkænˈteɪʃən/ Show Spelled[in-kan-tey-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
1. the chanting or uttering of words purporting to have magical power.
2. the formula employed; a spell or charm.
3. magical ceremonies.
4. magic; sorcery.
5. repetitious wordiness used to conceal a lack of content; obfuscation: Her prose too often resorts to incantation.

#5 partially backs up my assertion. Used by distillers to confuse suckers about their crapsinthe. Common ones we know are:
VanGogh cut his ear after drinking absinthe.
Absinthe was served in Paris (as if the rest of France, and French regions of the CH didn't count).
A good absinthe shouldn't have a thick louche.
It has a lot of porkchop for those secondary effects.
etc.
Artemis
I've never heard of number five; I assume it's a recent invention. But it goes to what Uncle Al said; the only difference is intent, one to conceal a lack of ideas to be communicated, the other because there is no idea to be communicated; the power of the sound is what matters.
A good absinthe shouldn't have a thick louche.

I bet I know where you heard that one.
Père Ubu
That is why the fire ritual was invented.

While in some absinthes, like VC, the thick louche is a warning sign about the copious amounts of star anise, my favorite magicians also make thick as cream louches, and they do it by knowning what they are doing.
Tibro

Well, yes, yes I can. But you seem to be the only who cares.
delirium
Oh I picked up this hobby of noting references from these forums. I may have been drunk. I watched the first season through. It's a ok series.

Btw. Ancient Greeks used nonsense (barbaric names) in their incantations too.
G&C
QUOTE(Tibro @ Sep 29 2012, 12:00 AM) *

Well, yes, yes I can. But you seem to be the only who cares.

More a disappointment.
sbmac
The maker of Vieux Carre does know what he's doing; it's one of the better American absinthes, on several levels. Star anise or not, which I typically detest, it has a correct aroma, quality herbs and tastes like absinthe.
Sure, the final color of the louche could be cleaner, but fuck it, it's good stuff.
Kirk
I know the maker of Vieux Carre and I can say he is very passionate about his work. Robert Cassel puts an extraordinary amount of effort into herb sourcing and distillation protocol.
Kirk
I know what the next hit will be. A reality show where 4 hoarders, hoping to survive the apocalypse, shop for a cabin in bigfoot country that turns out to be haunted and in sore need of a rehab, but first they must repossess a buried treasure that needs to be evaluated for auction.
Jaded Prole
and don't forget they are moonshiners on the side.
Kirk
The group has to pitch a business plan to a washed up toupee and moon-shining is not rejected.
Jack Batemaster
parlant d'un homme furieux ….
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.