Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gustave kahn
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
delirium
I just noted from Google Books that in the book Absinthe, the Cocaine of the Nineteenth Century, it is written that Gustave Kahn was from Netherlands.. I thought he was French? Is there a mix up in the book?
L'Assommoir
Looks like he was born in France, wrote in French…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Kahn
Provenance
I thought cocaine was the cocaine of the 19th century.
hartsmar
Badum-tsh!
Tibro
Comic. Timing.
hartsmar
Too soon?
Provenance
Only your wife knows for sure.
hartsmar
She says it's never too soon. Don't know how to react to that.
pierreverte
oh self-snap!!!
delirium
Is there a French version of his absinthe poem anywhere?
Artemis
Absinthe, mère des bonheurs, ô liqueur infinie, tu miroites en mon verre comme les yeux verts et pâles de la maîtresse que jadis j'aimais. Absinthe, mère des bonheurs,comme Elle, tu laisses dans le corps un souvenir de lointaines douleurs ; absinthe, mère des rages folles et des ivresses titubantes, où l'on peut, sans se croire un fou, se dire aimé de sa maîtresse. Absinthe, ton parfum me berce…

Dix ans de bohème
Author, Émile Goudeau
delirium
Thanks!
delirium
What is the original source of Kahn's poem?
Artemis
Any asshole with a fountain pen could write this line: “Absinthe, mere des bonheurs” (“Absinthe, mother of all happiness”) and dissipate into an early grave and posthumous fame. Still, as alcohol, absinthe is harsh, potent stuff. If only the booze went down as easily as the book.

http://prague.tv/articles/pill/gangs-bang-green-fairies

Even an asshole without a fountain pen could have written those lines.

But I'm not sure I understand the question.
delirium
Where was it published originally?
Artemis
Possibly Palais Nomades (1887)
The book by Goudeau mentioned above, which quotes the poem, was published in 1888.
Palais is available online.

delirium
I browsed through Les Palais couple of times and did not notice it.
Artemis
Maybe it was in a periodical or the like and not in a book at all, at least not at first publication.
Maybe it was on an absinthe web site, the old-fashioned kind with real spiders.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.