Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comparing Pernod Fils and Edouard Pernod with eachother: what made the
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Barski
Hello everybody. I've got a question. A few years back I've had the pleasure of tasting a sample of 1914 Pernod Fils. I have to thank Alexis for that one and not too long ago I tasted some Edouard Pernod thanks to Stijn. I guess it's a good thing to have friends from Belgium :-)
Anyway, I remember the Pernod Fils as being incredibly smooth, rich in anise and very creamy. The Edouard Pernod was a bit different. It tasted more robust and it seemed to me that it had a candy like licorice root flavour to it. Can anyone tell me if I'm right. I want to know what made the difference between the two. Espescially since Edouard Pernod became part of the Pernod Fils company and they must have kept their distinct flavours.

Can anyone fill me in?
Absomphe
Pernod Fils seemed to me to strike a beautiful balance among the holy trinity, and carried this through to the finish.

Edouard Pernod was more enigmatic, being paler in color and somewhat less dense after louching.

The body of EP was also, initially, lighter on the tongue, (almost verging on blanche-like), but, once fully tasted, there was an herbal explosion that was exceptionally vibrant with a surprisingly powdery texture, and a very complex and powerful flavor profile, featuring wonderful hyssop, and angelica, and wormwood. Pacifique would probably be the closest modern approximation in flavor to EP.

Although they were both superlative, between the two, I found Edouard Pernod to be the more remarkable.

Barski
Thanks for your reply. It sounds about right what you wrote except for that part about the colour. The sample I tasted was a beautiful feuilles mortes brown and not at all pale in comparison to the Pernod Fils. Another friend of mine also had a go and he describes the Edouard Pernod as having an almost caramel flavour. Never the less, it was one of the best absinthes I ever tasted. I will definitely try the Pacifique if I can get my hands on it.
Absomphe
Regarding the color, I was very fortunate to have acquired a sample of the EP that was the equivalent in "freshness" of color to the PF 1914 "very green".

I'm fairly certain that the delicious, vibrant Pacifique will not disappoint you. abs-cheers.gif

Provenance
I found the EP to be a bit hardier and bolder than the PF which is in keeping with your observations.
Jay
Edouard Pernod was the first preban absinthe I ever tried, and only a year into my experience with absinthe at all, so my impressions were less than precise in terms of the recipe, I'm sure. The aroma had a hint of a soft vanilla tobacco, which after the fact I believe was the hyssop coming through, and the scent of anise seemed slightly subordinate to the fennel. The drink had a warm spiciness to it courtesy of the wormwood, yet it was laced with a smoky-sweet flavor akin to molasses. Overall, it was exceptional, and remains my favorite preban absinthe to date (though I've only had the opportunity to sample three).

The Pernod Fils, by comparison, was airier and more elegant. Even the color was lighter, being more of a creamy peach compared to the Edouard Pernod's dark, dead leaf. The aroma was less dense, with the crisp, clear (yet mellow) wormwood and sweet anise coming through. I'm not sure how much usefulness there is in the "masculine" and "feminine" descriptors, but I would call the PF more feminine due to how light and almost delicate it was, versus the muskier and spicier EP.

It's interesting that you mention licorice root for the Edouard, Barski; in my notes, I wrote my girlfriend's impressions down as well, and she tasted something that she thought might be burdoch root, or something similar. I would love to see the actual recipe for Edouard, just to see if they have something so unique and unusual in the bill.
Grim
Coriander… many texts list coriander as the major distinction between PF and EP. Is that true? I don't know. It may be my imagination running wild…

Barski: Consider the year or years associated with the absinthes you tasted, as well… as process has its effect on the final product; Edouard was also one of the earliest manufacturers to make modifications to its distilling equipment along the lines of what Pernod Fils did by 1905.

And the most important advice: compare many more bottlings of Edouard against many more bottlings of Pernod Fils to refine your thoughts/assumptions.

(Great to see you around, by the way.)
Jay
Coriander, yes. I can't believe I forgot to mention that, so thanks for doing so, Grim. I suspect that may be the reason why some folks find a similarity between preban Edouard and the Pacifique.

Believe me, I would be more than willing to compare many more bottlings of the Edouard and Pernod Fils both, if only my budget allowed…
Kirk
Yes, that was nice of Grim to subordinate your impressions,
burdock root is one of the few things mentioned in early herbals as a cure for veneral disease.
G&C
Got some?
Kirk
I prefer to think of it as a social disease
G&C
Burdock root?
EdouardPerneau
Desirée from Luc Santiago is made out of edouard pernod's recipe that he found in EdPernod's Personal an annoted Duplais . Maybe with a new production bottle instead of 100 years old it will be easier to pin down the ingredients .
Jay
Is this the same Desirée from the Devoille distillery? And has the recipe changed from 3 or 4 years ago?
sbmac
Luc has this distilled at Devoille, yes. This batch is really very very good. In fact, this and Luc's latest La Coquette barrel aged (that is only available thru Luc's shop) are among the best commercial vertes I've tasted.
Père Ubu
Amen for the Desiree, it is very nice. Montperlier like, but in your face with a thick ass louche. Better than the other Edouard copy, in my honest but noob opinion. Nothing opaline about this louche, it is as thick as L'Artisanale.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.