Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is This for Real?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Provenance
I gotta be missing something.

Absinthe La Clandestine VSO Barrique

Because this supply is so limited, we are only offering the chance to be able to purchase a bottle by a draw.

To enter, simply order any absinthe from Artémisia Bugnon, and enter the code below at the checkout. All the names who enter the code will be put into a hat and drawn at random. If you are one of the lucky few, we'll get in touch to let you know how to make the payment for the bottle.

If I understand correctly, you have to buy a bottle of absinthe in order to win a chance to buy another bottle of absinthe without being told how much that second bottle costs.

I don't care myself. I had a Swiss Barrique absinthe years ago and thought little of it. I think I gave away most of the bottle. But being asked to buy something without the price being disclosed?

I gotta be missing something.
Zman
Ridiculous.
Provenance
I know I'm ridiculous but I still think I'm missing something.
Tibro
You're missing the part that recommends that you drink it neat. Prolly for people who have less water than sense.
Jay
Nice enough folks that I've done business with in the past, but I agree that this particular sale has not been thought through and executed very well. I wonder if this "offer" is even legal. It goes against the grain of all the "no purchase necessary to win" disclaimers I've seen for other drawings, and runs closer to gambling than to retailing. Hopefully they don't repeat this particular strategy in the future.
sbmac
Knowing both Antoine and Andrew, they are great guys… I suspect that no matter how this comes off, it was likely intended as a way to be fair to all their clients who might want this. First come first served works just fine for me however. I doubt they meant to rattle cages.
Alan
Agreed.
QUOTE(Tibro @ Nov 30 2012, 10:09 PM) *

You're missing the part that recommends that you drink it neat.

Having been aged in oak barrels for six years, there are some similarities between this and a XO Cognac or a single malt. It works well neat or with a little water.

And a cigar.

The Standard Deviant
The price is 89€ - absolutely no secret.

We always try to be as up front as possible, it looks like this email could have been more clearly written.

If you were to enter and got selected, there is absolutely no obligation at all to buy the Barrique, and we'd randomly pick someone else.

Absinthe.com's customers are all over the world and if the Barrique were to go online at one particular time, there are so few bottles of this available that almost certainly all of them would have sold within minutes to people in just one timezone.
Greytail
Too bad Florida is not on the recieving line.
The Standard Deviant
Hello Greytail, we do have an express option to Florida, I'll email you.
Greytail
Glad the problem was resolved. L'Ancienne will be my next online order when the new batch is ready for sell.
L'Assommoir
QUOTE(The Standard Deviant @ Dec 3 2012, 05:58 AM) *

The price is 89€ - absolutely no secret.
We always try to be as up front as possible, it looks like this email could have been more clearly written.

Thanks for the clarification.
Jay
QUOTE(The Standard Deviant @ Dec 3 2012, 01:58 PM) *

Absinthe.com's customers are all over the world and if the Barrique were to go online at one particular time, there are so few bottles of this available that almost certainly all of them would have sold within minutes to people in just one timezone.

Fair enough, although if there are that small of a number of bottles available now, perhaps it would have been better to wait until there was more stock to offer.

I wasn't offended by the offer, so please don't take my interpretation of it the wrong way, but the email came across to me as a marketing ploy to try to get folks to quickly place an order for something they might not truly want or need at the moment, just for a slim chance to be given the option to buy what it is they were really hoping to get all along (the Barrique). As such, it wasn't much of an incentive for me.

And as L'Assommoir stated, thank you for the clarification. I was curious about the price and likewise didn't see it in the email nor on the site, so I appreciate the info.
Alan
QUOTE(Jay @ Dec 3 2012, 06:45 PM) *

Fair enough, although if there are that small of a number of bottles available now, perhaps it would have been better to wait until there was more stock to offer.

That was probably our fault for not putting enough into barrels six years ago (and for trying it too many times as it aged!). There will be more stock available during 2013, but most of it won't be available until towards the end of the year.
Kirk
Rough crowd. I took it as a quickly written email about a limited offer product.
Père Ubu
That's how I read it. Being aged, it would be difficult to wait until 'fully stocked', especially in a market as finicky as absinthe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.