Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sharp by Gounod
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
delirium
I'm trying to understand Raoul Ponchon's writing Five a'clock absinthe.

Where one finds the best absinthe
That of the sons of Pernod
Forget the rest! They’re like a sharp by Gounod:
mere illusion.

Anybody have any idea where this "sharp" refer to?

Musical term? ("Definition: To make a note higher in pitch, the symbol placed before a note to raise it one half step.")

G&C
I couldn't say, but I do like his "Funeral March of a Marionette".
pierreverte
Most likely referring to a musical cord and spelled incorrectly, should be:

un dièse: (Music) sharp; fa ~ G sharp

"Fi des autres" "Fi" is also a pun on Pernod 'Fils'
meaning ignore the other makers of absinthe…

Thus the phrase for the most part, is saying that other absinthes are an illusion/inferior to the 'real' absinthe, Pernod Fils, as a certain musical note in Gounod's music has a fleeting feeling of illusion…

Charles Gounod:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Gounod

How cool is that and good call G&C?!, Gounod wrote the Hitchcock TV theme tune:

"One of Gounod's short pieces for piano, "Funeral March of a Marionette", received a new and unexpected lease of life from 1955 when it was first used as the theme for the television series Alfred Hitchcock Presents. "
Artemis
It definitely means a sharp in musical terms (a note raised in pitch by half a step). Could be a chord as well, I guess.

De même un dièse est un leurre
Quand il est de Gounod

Literally it means "the same way a sharp is a decoy, when it comes from Gounod". Not sure why I translated it the way I did years ago, and no idea how a sharp is a decoy or an illusion when it comes to Gounod. It sounds like something Benoit Noel would write. Interesting and flagrant, but nigh impenetrable.
delirium
Well, maybe "a certain musical note in Gounod's music" does have a fleeting feeling of illusion… dunno :/ ..
delirium
There is also a reference to Bonivards, to which is commented:

"François de Bonivard was a 16th century Swiss patriot who was immortalized in a poem by Byron. The Prisoner of Chillon. Delacroix produced a painting of the same name. Almost certainly Ponchon is referring to the Swiss."

But there was no absinthe in 16th century? Absinthe at the home of Bonivards?
Artemis
He's just using home of the Bonivards as a reference to Switzerland, home of absinthe, probably for no other reason than it rhymes with boulevards.
L'Assommoir
Et n'allez pas comme un qui serait du Hanovre
Surtout me l'effraye

I think that may be a dig at the English royals, (House of Hanover) the reputations of George IV* and the young Prince Albert, Edward VII. … as crass uncouth playboys.

*(Georgy porgy… kissed the girls and made them cry)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.