Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Utensils of Mass Destruction
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Corn Hole
Artemis
I saw a video of the Boston Bomb Blast; saw an old guy wilt to the street. Later I saw a video of the Boston Bombast, and the old guy spoke into the microphone, and said he had seen what looked like a pot lid lying in the street as he came to his senses. Leave the kneejerk speculation to the experts, I thought. Now I read that the bomb was a pressure cooker. When pressure cookers are outlawed, only outlaws will have pressure cookers. And ball bearings, too.

Experts take note: there has to be a bearing for it to be a ball bearing; the balls alone do not constitute a bearing.
G&C
Don't let the facts get in the way of the news.
Artemis
I have a pressure cooker the size of a bass drum. I bought it to cook up maillard reactions in malted barley. I almost blew up the front porch once due to a clogged relief valve. I'm hoping for a buyback program soon. I can use me some gummint money.
Tibro
Balls lacking bearings? Bearingless balls? The very phrasing seems pregnant with unguarded implication. A dangerous situation just waiting, gestating, for the ripe moment.

None of it's funny.
Artemis
Bearing balls for a bomb (or slingshot ammo), ball bearings for a rotating shaft. Today in Louisiana a post office was shut down and a highway closed because someone saw a brief case in a trash can. Nothing funny about that, either. Unguarded implication, indeed.
Tibro
Bearing balls for a bomb (or slingshot ammo), ball bearings for a rotating shaft.

A brief case for testicular poetry in the realm of the seven virgins.
Artemis
Latest news you can use says the offending briefcase was "dispatched" with a "quick shotgun blast". The experts apparently decided a slow shotgun blast was not appropriate for the task. Or they couldn't figure out how to set the timer on the shotgun. Now we wait for the autopsy on the tattered rem-nants of the briefcase. If there was 50 grand in it, they're going to feel stupid, but not as stupid as the janitor who found it.
Kirk
Even al-Qaeda is backing off from this, saying "damn, that's cold"
I can't stop myself from trying to understand an action, when I study this I get a blank, like the vacuum of deep space, I can't picture it, the only word that comes to mind is "inaccessible".
Artemis
I figured it wasn't them when they didn't claim it without delay. And yeah, what you said, except I don't even try anymore.
Tibro
Hardly a day goes by anymore without a report, a replay, an announcement of some heinously unthinkable act of human depravity taking place somewhere in the world. "Man's inhumanity to man" on some grand or small scale. Why?

Why does it happen? Why do we all need to know about it? Why is there never a thick black line below which human behavior cannot sink lower?

Because there is always someone who must prove that the act, the reality, the historical fact is in some way greater, and lesser, than the mere imagining of what is possible.

Somewhere in that warped way of thinking lies a proof for the existence of deity.

Oh, god. What have we become?
G&C
What we have always been…

Man, the savage beast.
Tibro
Every coin has two sides, don't it?
Artemis
Because there is always someone who must prove that the act, the reality, the historical fact is in some way greater, and lesser, than the mere imagining of what is possible.

If I do ponder it, it comes down to that. A lot of people are capable of doing such deeds, but it comes down to pulling the trigger. Or not.
G&C
QUOTE(Tibro @ Apr 18 2013, 11:46 AM) *

Every coin has two sides, don't it?

That's the illusion.
Tibro
Illusion?

Pray, do tell.
G&C
Illusion of Reality.
Artemis
There is no such thing as death

It's all well and good to talk that shit, but from this side of the coin, I can't see the other.
G&C
It's not shit.
It's the alchemy of the day.

Or is it blasphemy, so sayeth Le Pape?

Besides, since when can anyone see the other side of the coin on which they sit?
Artemis
To be more specific, I respect physics; I respect Zen.

And I get it, when I hear there's no such thing as death.

But that seems to be from the perspective of the dead. When you're alive and wishing a dead person were still around, that's when talk such as the quoted statement seems to be shit talk - you're on one side of the coin and the other person is on the other, and never (again) the twain shall meet. It's not a matter of one or the other reality being real, but of them being separate realities.
G&C
I understand and do feel for your loss.
Artemis
Thanks, I appreciate it. It gets easier, but it never gets well.
Tibro
The whole and the contradiction of the whole. The contradiction that is the whole, the entirety. That is not an illusion. Not to me and not to anyone I've ever had a conversation with. Living or dead. And, yes, I converse with the dead. In that I find no contradiction. And certainly no illusion.

If the human condition is that of savage beast it is no illusion. But neither is it an illusion that our condition is and aspires to be celestial and other than brute and brutal.

After all is said and done, what is a pressure cooker?
G&C
Pressure cooker.
G&C
Notorious for the relief valve sticking and the pot blowing…
G&C
I remember it happening when I was visiting my grandmother.

She was pissed.

And angry.
G&C
Then there is always the Pressure Drop.
Kirk
The only thing about reality supposedly being an illusion is that this moment is precious, everything I do now determines everything I will do, if I screw it up I'm done.
Artemis
QUOTE(G&C @ Apr 19 2013, 05:45 AM) *
I remember it happening when I was visiting my grandmother.

She was pissed.

And angry.

I bought mine because I wasn't satisfied with my attempts at creating a malty lager. How to get the maillard reaction necessary for that nice liquid bread flavor? Decoction mashing seemed like a pain in the ass. I had followed with interest the posts of a guy on a brewing forum who said he had used a pressure cooker to shortcut the process, with great results. The resident beer geeks were from skeptical to downright insulting to him, but I got in touch with him and obtained his protocol. But I skipped an essential element: containing the mash inside a pottery vessel (this is placed entire, inside the pressure cooker). This, because I couldn't find one big enough. The large cooker, I had obtained from an old fashioned farm supply store in Kansas, the sort of place that still carries windmill blades. The valve on the cooker of course clogged, but not entirely. The front porch was coated with a spray that smelled so good, I could have licked it off the walls, but I let the ants have it. The beer wasn't as good as it could have been due to the emergency shutdown in the midst of the malty fog. That might have been the last beer I ever attempted - about that time my interest was captured by a different beverage and a new challenge. Met a lot of good people pursuing that one abs-cheers.gif .
sbmac
I tired drawing a coin, but no matter what I did, without also drawing a mirror (where the coin's other side was backwards) I could only see one side.
This is why Pablo learned to draw a journey around an object. No mirror needed. Tell the parents of that 8 year old boy there's no such thing as death.
rjordan
I was about twenty feet away from the whole thing about two hours before the whole thing. I was in the next neighborhood over when the whole thing happened and I raced back at breakneck speed on my dept motorcycle right back to finish line area..worked twelve on, twelve off for the next five days and didn't really do anything else but make people feel 'safe' (disclaimer: safety is a relative term) because I was there..oh well..now hopefully we move on..

gun thug.gif
Artemis
IPB Image
Kirk
I can understand the pain and the sentiment but I don't understand how these two animals sucked the air out of the Texas explosion. This(Texas) was a terrifying event, one that was preventable and that comes as a sign and a reminder of what is happening to our natural resources and the very planet we live and breath on.
Selfish individuals and mindless stockholders are eating us alive.
Something I don't understand yet is how it happened, Ammonia is not flammable, neither is nitric, you can burn it, melt it, stomp on it, mix it, it does not explode. To explode it needs to be saturated with an organic fuel like diesel. Picture gigantic silos out in the desert, they are filled with dry powder, how does all that dry stuff get soaked with fuel? Did someone decide to store leaking tanks of fuel next to large amounts of dry powder for a very long time? You would have to bring in fuel by the tanker load or pipe it in by pipe line to soak that much material. They won't tell you how much was there, it's a state secret.
Stockcock holders or private owners heirs ? Someone is a criminal.
Artemis
That got knocked right off of the TV, didn't it? And that punk in North Korea, too.
They won't tell you how much was there, it's a state secret.

Are you serious? If that's true, it's just another outcome of another type of prohibition, probably because of that bombing in Oklahoma a few years back - wouldn't want anybody to know where all the fertilizer is.
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/04...plosion/100501/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROrpKx3aIjA
Artemis

There are two major classes of incidents resulting in explosions:
  • In the first case, the explosion happens by the mechanism of shock to detonation transition. The initiation happens by an explosive charge going off in the mass, by the detonation of a shell thrown into the mass, or by detonation of an explosive mixture in contact with the mass. The examples are Kriewald, Morgan, Oppau, Tessenderlo and Traskwood.
  • In the second case, the explosion results from a fire that spreads into the ammonium nitrate (AN) itself (Texas City, Brest), or to a mixture of an ammonium nitrate with a combustible material during the fire. The fire must be confined at least to a degree for successful transition from a fire to an explosion (a phenomenon known as "deflagration to detonation transition", or DDT). Pure, compact AN is stable and very difficult to initiate. However, there are numerous cases when even impure AN did not explode in a fire.
From Wikipedia. Look under ammonium nitrate disasters.
Bruno Rygseck
When I was young and experimented with chemicals, we tried to make laughter gas from pure ammonium nitrate and succeeded (won't describe the procedure here). I did not know at that time how explosive it could have been. But I still have all my fingers and eyesight.

("experimenting" was not done in vivo I'd like to point out. Except the laughter gas thing)

Grim
QUOTE(Artemis @ Apr 24 2013, 08:22 AM) *
And that punk…

I got accused of being one of those during a job last week. It made me happy in a way… I thought I'd matured beyond that… but «yay».
Kirk
Smart ass maybe, punk, never.
G&C
I dunno…

Smart ass punk works.
Tibro
A red-hot ember used as a tool for getting lit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.