Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radiation aged, the next kewl thing?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Dr Magnan's Lab
L'Assommoir
One of the most outrageous cocktails on the Worship St. Whistling Shop menu is the Radiation Aged Cocktail, which combines Diplomatico Rum, chip pan bitters, Campari, Dubonnet, Absinthe and Grenadine. The mix is taken down to a local university and actually irradiated.

Chetiyawardana, who comes from a family of radiologists, discovered that spirits react to radiation in very much the same way that fats do, and that he could break down some of the harsher elements in this cocktail via ‘aging it’ using radiation. Unaged, this cocktail is a collision of very strong flavors, but when irradiated these flavors mellow and mingle in a way that creates interesting flavor combinations between them.

http://www.drinkspirits.com/bar-life/worsh…zing-cocktails/

Makes you wonder what a century of low level radiation might have done to the flavor prebans.
Tibro
Makes me wonder how much he drank during work. Not that that's a bad thing.
G&C
Depends on where one works.
Tibro
Drinking should impart a pleasant glow.
Jaded Prole
I'll pass on the radioactive stuff. het.gif
Tibro
I thought I'd pass on the radioactive fat but my offspring are lean as you are Prole.
Artemis
Couldn't be radioactive unless it had a radioactive element in it. All the germs would be dead, though. I see he has a rotovap. Can't imagine what use that could be.
Jaded Prole
I fear this thread will give Grim ideas that are best left untried.
Artemis
No shit; it's fraught with shoot your eye out possibilities.
L'Assommoir
My first post, I thought was just a local oddity.
But it looks like gamma blasting booze on a big scale is being researched:

http://www.geekosystem.com/cachaca-gamma-radiation/

Provenance
I seem to recall that at one time there was the notion that absinthe could be improved though the use of non-ionizing radiation….
Kirk
It must be easier than making good absinthe which is apparently extremely difficult, or so they say.
sbmac
Perhaps ouraline had a purpose other than being green. Nah.
L'Assommoir
Radium water jug, ebay price about $200
Atomic absinthe fountain, ebay price $800

IPB Image
thegreenimp
Or you could go where it's always warmer.
Kirk
Couldn't they have found a desert island to blow up?
Tibro
Just deserts?
Provenance
A toll on bikinis? Interesting business plan.
L'Assommoir
Nice louche lines should be toll free

IPB Image
Tibro
There's always a toll.

Plus taxes.
Provenance
Indeed. No need for a speed pass.
Artemis
Many years ago I used to read the New Yorker from cover to cover, in spite of its liberal tendencies. There was an article about an artist from the Seattle area who became fascinated with radioactive elements. It came to his attention that Fiesta ware (vintage plates and bowls), in the orange color, was made with a uranium glaze. So he set about collecting as many pieces as he could, crushing them, and extracting the uranium. He wound up with a 35mm photographic film can full of orange powder. His adventure came to the attention of the authorities (not the NRC, but a state version), who directed him to bring it in for examination. They put a geiger counter to it, it pegged the needle, and they confiscated his stash. He didn't know shit about ionizing radiation, but from that point on he educated himself, to the extent that some years later, he was invited to speak at a nuclear facility in Oregon at which I was working. He had some fascinating ideas, including a table top reactor with a goldfish in it - when it goes critical, it cooks the fish. Talk about shoot your eye out. He also told me that he had an idea for radioactive waste storage - turn it into monuments of artistic beauty (with the gamma rays still contained, of course) in remote places. People would still fear them, and rightly so, but ... that was way before September 11th.
Tibro
Perversely enough, someone on another forum I visit posted a link to a smarty-pants fone game app thing that had a teaser about monuments and statues emitting energy and confounding people and such. It seemed evil.

Not that it matters what it was. Aren't those smarty-pants fones already in their own right irradiating and confounding everyone?
Artemis
It seemed evil.

Exactly. Fear THIS! But it would be out in the open, not a sordid secret in a bat cave. Crazy as it was, I had to appreciate the concept.
Kirk
Just don't make it a Mayan temple.
An artist in the middle ages once said if you want your bronze statues to speak to centuries make them as thin and light as possible, as well beautiful and they may escape the cannon foundry. He lived in a time when marble temples were being crushed and calcined for plaster though.
If we could build a reliable rocket we could send it off the planet.
Provenance
I heard those Mayan temples are grate for when you need road building material.
Absinthesizer
Yeah, that story was depressing …
R3al Caravano
God damn is this still an absinthe board. Let's talk about hairy assholes or something more relevant.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.