Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taste the difference
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Cellar
Tibro
Do you revert to buying what you like when it comes to wine (and by extension…)? To do anything else is would be to give credence to junk science and indulge in bullshit economics.
Kirk
Sink it or drink it?
Jack Batemaster
J'achète seulement les bières.
Tibro
It was a beer site that cited these articles.
Jaded Prole
Life's too xort for xit.
OCvertDe
Drink what ya like, and to hell with the rest.
thegreenimp
I never drink, "Wine" Doracula.gif
Tibro
Life's too short for oversized experts.

Or anyone who watches the Wealth Chanel™.
Jay
The real problem is that price point usually determines what the average person even has an opportunity to sample. Is a glass of a $500 bottle of wine significantly better than a $50 bottle of wine? I may never know. I will say that the few glasses of $50 bottles of wine I've had were noticeably better than most (though not all) of the $15 and below bottles I've had, so while I do believe in the law of diminishing returns as the price rises, in my experience the $20 to $30 range is the minimum for an excellent wine for most varieties.
Tibro
Most of us value value. And our scrutiny of a product increases with its price. An unscrutinized bottle of plonk might go down better paired with old friends on a wild night than an exclusive bottle scrutinized in the company of stuffy fucks at the members only soiree.

At least I know which one I'd be more likely to choke on.
Hillbilly
Well that about sums it up right there.
Jaded Prole
Not to complicate things but it depends.
It depends on how we define "value." Are we speaking of use value? Commodity value? Aesthetic value?

Commodity value is often bullxit. Value is also the concentrated labor that create something. It may also be the level of enjoyment one gets out of use or consumption.
Jack Batemaster
Toutes les valeurs sont fausse.
Jaded Prole
Zoot Alors ?
Tibro
Tasty. At any price point.
Artemis
I had that record.
Find her finer,
Sneak up behind her,
Wrapped like a mummy til you finally undwind her

Find her blinder, see who designed her
Act like a dummy till you finally grind her

G&C
It wasn't very large
There was just enough room to cram the drums
In the corner over by the Dodge
It was a fifty-four
With a mashed up door
And a cheesy little amp
With a sign on the front said "Fender Champ"
And a second hand guitar
It was a Stratocaster with a whammy bar

That's freaking art.
Jack Batemaster
Assez dit …
Jack Batemaster
IPB Image

G&C
Absomphe as a young man!
Kirk
Hah!
Jack Batemaster
1911 ?
Absomphe
He said young, not middle-aged.
Tibro
Didn't you dress like a gestour in your youth?
Absomphe
That was later, after blue woad went out of fashion.
Absomphe
Provenance
A picture that explains what happened to Abby's cherry.
Tibro
This Robot Tastes Better Than A Wine Critic

Robots might be unseating the cherry job of wine critics soon. Researchers in Denmark have created an artificial tongue to find out whether expensive wine actually tastes any better than the cheap stuff.

The research, first published in ACS Nano, claims that an optical nanosensor based on surface plasmon resonance (SPR) can discern how you experience the sensation of dryness in wine. And they say this nanosensor can judge the way the tannins will hit your flavor sensors better than the finest wine critic can.

Some may argue that it takes a human, not a robot, to discover what is worth a sip. However, the researchers at Arhaus University argue that the nanosensor is free from the human critic’s personal prejudice. They may have a point. There’s a lot that goes into making wine taste a certain way. Everything from the variety of the grape to the minerals in the soil to what kind of sunlight the grapes received chemically affects the taste and smell of the wine from season to season – in even the same grape.

According to MarketWatch, over 31.4 billion 750 ml bottles of wine are bought and sold throughout the world every year. While some standard ratings have been placed on wine and there’s a decent following in wine personalities and what they recommend, everyone has different tastes in what they like. This makes it particularly hard to decide which wine will do at the local grocery store.
PhD student Joana Guerreiro has taken part in developing a sensor, which - by using nanoscience - can measure how we experience the feeling of dryness in wine. Photo: Lars Kruse, Aarhus University.

Instead of telling you that this wine tastes of leather bound books and mahogany, the nanosensor lets you know just how astringent the wine is. It does this by measuring the molecules in your mouth instead.

“The sensation arises because of the interaction between small organic molecules in the wine and proteins in your mouth. This interaction gets the proteins to change their structure and clump together. Until now, the focus has been on the clumping together that takes place fairly late in the process.

With the sensor, we’ve developed a method that mimics the binding and change in the structure of the proteins, i.e. the early part of the process. It’s a more sensitive method, and it reproduces the effect of the astringency better,” says researcher Joana Guerreiro.

The researchers point out that this technique is not new, but that using it to create a sensor that can measure an effect rather than just a number of molecules is. And the technique can be applied to much more than just wine.

Arhaus University indicates on its website that the science behind this machine can also be applied on a molecular level to develop targeted medicine. “The sensor can be used for diagnostic purposes. It could possibly be helpful for discovering and even preventing diseases,” says Duncan Sutherland, research director for the study.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/22/this-robo…-a-wine-critic/
Artemis
This Robot Tastes Better Than A Wine Critic

If it tastes better than this wine critic, that must be some robot.
IPB Image
And they say this nanosensor can judge the way the tannins will hit your flavor sensors better than the finest wine critic can.

But not better than I can. Tannins will hit my flavor sensors like a bucket of railroad tie shavings. This I know. Find something useful for the robot to do.

Tibro
As long as she isn't a whine critic. As so many of them turn out to be. It can sour the experience terribly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.