Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pernod Fils lithograph
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Steve
A generous friend who is moving to France gave me this antique lithograph a couple weeks ago. According to Oxy's website this poster hung in almost every bar in France, and it inspired Picasso, who had a copy hanging in his studio.

Also the term "Pontarlier glass" was coined by Frenchman Phil based on this poster.

This has always been my favorite absinthe poster, and since it was a surprise gift from my friend, it makes it very special to me. I will look at it and think of how I miss him when he moves. I hung it next to the pressed spoon copper pieces that Kirk gave me. heart.gif

IPB Image
Artemis
I've always liked that painting, especially for the louche of the absinthe. The painter didn't lie, either:
Click to view attachment
Steve
That looks tasty!
Artemis
Spoon-licking good. Pernod from shortly before the Great War. I can taste it in my brain after, I don't know, must be almost ten years.

Bruno Rygseck
Gorgeous, both the lithograph and the absinthe!
Provenance
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 14 2013, 10:02 AM) *
pressed spoon copper pieces

I was wondering who else some of had those.

They're quite striking.
Tibro
Someday I want to try out this "having friends" thing. You're a lucky guy, that's a beautiful poster. I'm jealous.

And I some of what want Pro's good grammar makes too.
Steve
My friend has been living in San Francisco 4 years I think. 2 or 3 years ago he said he sent me a PM at WWS and I completely blew him off, because, you know, WWS. I don't even remember that. I was finally encouraged to meet him by sbmac like 3 months ago, and we have met several times since then to drink and gossip and eat. We actually have a lot in common, even though he is less than half my age. Now he's moving to France in 3 weeks and I am really kicking myself for not making an effort to meet him earlier. He has become a good friend and I will miss him like hell. And I was really touched and surprised when he gave me such an amazing gift! The only consolation is, I will get to see him (and his super nice French partner) next time I'm in France.
Tibro
Not even for a moment did I consider it might be Crosby moving to France. Some things are completely inconceivable.
Steve

Jack Batemaster
Il n'a pas dit « meat him» …

Comment on dit ces mots en français ? « lui viandez » ?
Artemis
Frappez-le avec votre saucisse Wiener.gif
Jack Batemaster
Ou un saucisson.

Tout le monde n'est pas la même taille.
Artemis
C'est juste, certaines personnes apprécient la saucisson Viennoise.
Jack Batemaster
ou irlandaise
Jack Batemaster
le mot « saucisson » est féminin ? ? ?
Artemis
Si vous le trouvez où sa praline devrait être, il est.

Tibro
It sounds to me as if you two will find all you need, and more, if you just rendezvous together out back at the Dairy Queen.
Jack Batemaster
A la Reine des Laits !
Jay
That's a very fine gift, Steve. Congratulation on both the litho and the good friend.

As a side note, does anyone know if these were originally mounted behind glass or not? I've seen them both ways and had always assumed the glass front was added later, but now I'm not so sure.
Steve
This framing appears to be original, or at least contemporary with the age of the poster. My friend told me there is also something interesting behind the litho; a photo or drawing of a woman, but I haven't taken it apart yet. I'll have to take a close look at the glass and see if it looks old or not.
Jack Batemaster
Vraiment intéressant ! Vieille? Vous décidez. Tant pis …
Jay
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 17 2013, 05:02 PM) *

This framing appears to be original, or at least contemporary with the age of the poster. My friend told me there is also something interesting behind the litho; a photo or drawing of a woman, but I haven't taken it apart yet. I'll have to take a close look at the glass and see if it looks old or not.

Unless that frame is substantially wider than it appears, I think the litho you posted has been cropped or trimmed down a bit. Notice how the bottom corner of the newspaper has been truncated, as has the top of the bottle. I'd be very surprised if this is an unaltered litho in the very original frame, although there are a few different variations of this litho which PF released over the course of seven or eight years (from about 1908 to 1915, as I recall), so it's possible yours is an original, later version. Either way, treasure and enjoy it!

Compare yours with this one below, and you'll see what I mean about the cropping. Oh, and I would be remiss without adding that if you do take the frame apart and discover olive oil under glass, let her out and show her off!

IPB Image
Provenance
I have a lovely painting, signed Trinity Stone, that is a variant on the Pernod Fils poster.
Jay
That there sounds like a nom de guerre.
Steve
Jay, very interesting! Is that one yours? Mine was probably trimmed to fit the frame a long long time ago.

I am very curious about the girl behind the poster, but I will probably not open it up anytime soon. One day… Hopefully she'll be better looking than the picture that Jack posted!

Prov, I would love to see Trinity's painting! Post a pic sometime.
Tibro
That there sounds like a gruesome au paire.

To say nothing of her bratty, dictatorial charge.
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(Gar cuillllllère @ Jul 17 2013, 09:04 PM) *

Jay, very interesting! Is that one yours? Mine was probably trimmed to fit the frame a long long time ago.

I am very curious about the girl behind the poster, but I will probably not open it up anytime soon. One day… Hopefully she'll be better looking than the picture that Jack posted!

Prov, I would love to see Trinity's painting! Post a pic sometime.

Le visage de beurre.
Provenance
It's a very nice painting. I like it.
Artemis
I am very curious about the girl behind the poster, but I will probably not open it up anytime soon.
Take it down to that pawnshop in Las Vegas and have them open it on TV, let Chumlee weigh in on it.
IPB Image
Jack Batemaster
Prenez un rendez-vous avec lui derrière la Reine des laits … N'oubliez jamais d'apporter votre saucisson !

http://www.dairyqueen.com/us-en/Locator/Detail/12074
Jay
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 18 2013, 04:04 AM) *

Yes, indeed that one is mine. The folks on the Musee Absinthe forum did some research into the frame and artwork variations (some of the labeling on the bottle changes over time, for instance), and you may find that thread interesting, particularly as several lovely examples of this painting are posted for comparison.
Steve
Thanks, Jay! Very informative. It looks like mine (like yours) is the earlier version since it lacks the 68° vignette.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.