Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tails of the Cockatoo, 2013
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Voyages au Pays des Fées
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Artemis
I have read that "cocktail" derived from the practice of stirring a drink with a rooster feather. It's not the stupidest attempt at etymology I've seen, but I imagine a parrot feather would be a little stiffer.

Normally Green Imp comes over, we drink and talk in the relative calm of Paradise, and I meet him in NoLa to lend moral support in the Herbsaint Room and help to watch his things so the mob doesn't walk off with any of them. We dine, have a few drinks, look at old buildings, old folk stuff. This year at the last minute (literally), I flew in a special guest to liven things up, and so he did. Here he is; I know it's blurry but my hands shake, and he was laughing in the midst of drunk-dialing Ted Breaux, pretending to be someone else.
Click to view attachment

Tibro
Do the Goths still come out of the woodwork for that event? Goths and Masons is what I recall hearing about being there.
Artemis
I don't recall seeing any Goths; it's not vampirey enough for them.

I recall seeing a woman on the sidewalk on Canal Street, raging, "That muthafucka dead and this time he gonna stay dead; I don't know how the hell he was alive again in the first place", to which one of her companions said (turning away as he took a sip of Olde English 800 from a paper bag), "I ain't even wanting to hear all that bullshit".

The Homeless do come out of the woodwork for this event. I noticed a few of them wearing Tales bracelets. Pay one price and drink for a week; why not? If the Olde English 800 rep was in town, I didn't see him though.
Artemis
Green Imp seemed confused when he called me on Friday afternoon and asked where I was, and I said, at the airport. He apparently thought I was leaving town, but I said I was awaiting a mystery guest. Grim hid in a corner and ambushed him when he walked into the house, then we retired to the porch. Grim said he liked it as green as it is around here; to me and Green Imp it was just hot.
Click to view attachment

Artemis
A strictly unsanctioned tasting event followed:
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment ]
The silver hefalump in service for the first time in years. I didn't realize the head holds a sugar cube until Grim intuitively put one in there - it slows down the flow to a drip as well. Prolly designed that way (duh!).

Artemis
An absinthe with no commercial potential. Frank Zappa had an album by that name, because that's what the record company man had told him. Enough said.
Click to view attachment
Jay
A stirring story for sure, though I've no feathers of rooster nor parrot.

Belle Epoque be damned, it's the first decade or so of the 21st century that I hate having missed out on in the absinthe world. I trust you all enjoyed your reunion of sorts and lived up to your potential, as uncommercial as it may be.
Alan
It was great to meet Green Imp, Artemis and Grim outside the Monteleone on Saturday. Sorry that we couldn't spend more time together.

Ted, Tirador, Shabba, Larspeart and PierreVerte were also in town.

As far as I could tell, the Old Absinthe House (birthplace of the Absinthe Frappé) no longer burns absinthe. That's progress.
Jaded Prole
Beautiful pixs, I can almost taste the absinthe. How was that Greenopal?

Looks like a great time was had.
Kirk
What does Larspeart do in the absinthe business?
Jaded Prole
He monkey's around and calls everyone "Bro" but at least he doesn't pretend to be an all-knowing insider.
Jack Batemaster
Héhé.
Jack Batemaster
« L'os drôle » Martnez et son frère « Petit Michel »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AuDrXRLrLA…player_embedded
Artemis
It was hot on the porch, so went up inside to taste some things. The Absinthe Mafia plaque (first of its kind) was a gift from Green Imp. The Green Opal was not tasted, just shook and smelled through the rottening cork. It smells like Grandma's wormwood elixir. Some sausages and shrimp poboys were tasted, along with some HG, Blues Cat, 1940s Herbsaint, and Ramos Gin Fizzes. That's my son-in-law Michael with Imp and Grim.
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Grim poked around and found some things that excited him, including this. Unfortunately, he left it where the dog could get it and it got tasted, tore up in fact.
Click to view attachment

Artemis
Some discussion of why Ted Breaux was not in the house (he had obligations, he said), led to the afore-mentioned drunk dial from Grim, impersonating an industry big shot, which caught Ted in the midst of an interview with a reporterette, or something. Imp had encountered Ted on the street the day before, and had asked him, "didn't you used to be Ted Breaux"? Ted said later he was not fooled, but he seemed discombobulated at the time. Later he called back, saying "Grim, where are you? - I know it's you".
Artemis
Dawn found us in the city (to avoid the rush). The streets were almost deserted at the time (not so much later), and every turn I took was wrong, so we did a lot of walking before coffee at the Community Coffee House (the Cafe du Monde, unlike the street, was crowded with Iowedgians, even at that hour). Grim was warned not to touch the horses or the golf carts of the cops, which you don't do in NOLA unless you're a pretty girl or you like having your ass beat and thrown into an alley. Not sure that Grim wouldn't like it either way, though.
Click to view attachment

Artemis
Duplicate post deleted
Artemis
For what it's worth, Tales of the Cocktail exists primarily to bring dollars into New Orleans. Secondarily, spirits companies use it to promote their wares, both to the general public in the form of free tastings, seminars, and lectures, and to industry insiders in the form of more private gatherings. There are also strictly unsanctioned events such as naked pool parties. Grim managed to crash both of the latter two in the course of the weekend. Many of the public events are at or near the Monteleone Hotel, a grand old edifice of NOLA, at which we had a room. This is the carousel bar at the Monteleone. It doesn't turn fast enough to make you puke. They will make you a Ramos, but they are not as good as mine. They're good, but they're kind of dry and powdery.
Click to view attachment

Artemis
Industry promotion; I like this one.
Click to view attachment
Some outfit from Alaska had a snow machine on top of a Winnebango. I thought it was cigar ashes or fallout in the air at first - looked like the beginning stages of snow, but it couldn't be, not in NoLa. Then I saw a pile of sadly foreshortened snow near the vehicle, getting no grip on the 110-degree asphalt.

Artemis
The Herbsaint room. This year they were letting no one in without a wrist band, but I managed to schmooze the door guard with Imp's input, and join the mob (all the swag, such as free tote bags, was mostly gone by that time - Imp said there was a bum's rush on that stuff as soon as the doors opened, but I was tres occupe at the time, enjoying a Ramos at the Carousel Bar, courtesy of Tirador's charming wife).
Ted, his protege (I forgot her name, sorry), and Tirador in an industry discussion, and me in my Arkansas disguise (Alan Moss opined that the overhauls constituted over-dressing in the NoLa heat). But I like them; there are lots of pockets. If only I had some swag ...
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Tirador's absinthe will be out soon (I think). The Amer dit Picon and Violette have some of the nicest labels I've ever seen - http://www.goldenmoondistillery.com/products_new.html. I'm looking forward to trying the gin in a Ramos very soon (thanks again, Tirador).
Click to view attachment

Artemis
Green Imp did his usual thing, and as usual, people tried to walk off with stuff, but this year they were all busted.
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Pierre Verte is involved in an endeavor with some people from Utah (I think, but prolly not Mormons). I won't go into details because I'm not sure I understand them and don't want to get it wrong. In any case, that crew had rented a house on Bourbon Street for their promotion. Green Imp is talking to the Bordelon brothers (owners of the absinthe museum in New Orleans). Pierre, Tirador, and Grim in the background are talking about bitters. I tasted a lot of bitters there. Interesting, but too bitter for me. There was a swimming pool with women in it, and women walking through the house in towels. I went to have a piss, and Grim said there was a woman in the bathroom, but not to worry, she let him piss. I said, yeah right, but sure enough there was woman in there, brushing her hair, dressed now (Grim said she wasn't quite, when he went in). She was friendly, but she directed me to a different bathroom. I know, my banana, is older than the rest, and my hair is a tangled bo-retta ...
Shabba and Larspeart dropped by there later.
Click to view attachment
Hillbilly
That was a flat out awesome read. Thank you.
opined that the overhauls constituted over-dressing in the NoLa heat). But I like them
It's hard to beat a good pair of well broke in overalls.
She was friendly, but she directed me to a different bathroom.
I hate it when that happens.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Hillbilly @ Jul 24 2013, 02:42 PM) *

That was a flat out awesome read, as per. Thank you.

Ditto, and slightly amended, for complete accuracy.
Kirk
Is that G&C I see?
Wish I had been there but I'm mired down in work, maybe next year.
Artemis
Thank you, Hillbilly and Absomphe. The story isn't complete yet; I'll attempt to finish it before I lose motivation.

If G&C was there, he didn't approach and I didn't notice him. I think not, though, probably a look-alike.
Grim
QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ Jul 24 2013, 08:12 AM) *

« L'os drôle » Martnez et son frère « Petit Michel »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AuDrXRLrLA…player_embedded

Hahahahahah… you motherfucker.
Grim
So, Friday night we got into the old stuff and the 1,000-yard stares began…

Click to view attachment

Good food, good absinthe and best of all… great friends.
Grim
Fast-forward to Saturday… we hoofed it to Hotel Monteleone for check-in.

Click to view attachment

Then grabbed a few drinks, walked the spaces of the French Quarter and eventually connected with Tirador at the Carousel… who enjoys good booze. Don't you, Tirador?

Click to view attachment

Tirador says "yes".
Grim
Took in the sights, and readied for a long night of debauchery.

Click to view attachment
Grim
Grim
And then after some misbehavior… and toweling off… we crashed Juniperlooza at the Sugar Mill.

Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Hunger set in at Peter's house, so we slipped away to Felix's Oyster House. Oysters are not in season, but the rest of the gang ate them anyway. I tried a sampler of red beans, crawfish etouffee, and jambalaya that raised the heartburn that was already torturing me to an unbearable level. A nearby drugstore had an empty space where the Maalox used to be - Tales. Green Imp offered Altoids, and damn, those things work (for a little while).
Back on the street, Grim renewed his appreciation for the beautiful women everywhere.
"Laigs!", he would say.

Artemis
Click to view attachment
Yet, the possibility of obtaining free pussy remained remote.

Alan
I don't know what you did to that pussy: it was OK when I was there:

IPB Image
Alan
Outside the Monteleone:

IPB Image

Artemis
Alan was out standing in front of the hotel, waiting for a ride when I encountered him; too bad we didn't have time for a drink in cooler surroundings. A beautiful blonde blue-eyed Brit woman was thanking him for his presentation on absinthe (which I didn't see; I didn't think there were any), for which she had come to New Orleans all the way from London.

Also while standing out there, someone in the crowd shouted (Grim's actual full name). It turned out to be a friend from elementary school who hadn't seen him since then!

Later, an attractive woman was trying to talk one of the hotel staff into driving her and her party to Drago's in the hotel Cadillac Escalade. Grim came out and said let's go to Drago's. I said, "that's where she's going", pointing to the rear end of the woman, who was getting into a cab, her attempt to hijack the Cadillac having fallen on deaf ears. "I know, and we're going too", said Grim. But I didn't want to go. Grim went off to the robot bank on the corner and never returned. The rest of us retired to the hotel lobby, waited a long time, and still no Grim, so Green Imp returned to his hotel and Michael and I to our room, where we fell asleep.
Artemis
We were awakened by a wild monkey jumping from bed to bed and body slamming us. It was Grim, who explained that he had encountered a wet woman in a swimsuit on the street and been invited past a gate to a pool party in a courtyard. He said the women in the pool were nekkid (he had pictures to prove it). And so he had taken the plunge. And left his underwear there. The pool crew had moved on to another party in some burnt-out warehouse near the docks, one of those affairs with laser beams, dangerous drugs and DJs wearing neon mouse heads. But Grim had another venue in mind, the Juniperlooza.

I told the younguns I was burnt out and hearburnt, but they should go ahead. But when they got there, there was a line, and a list. And they weren't on the list. The list was held by a woman with handcuffs in fishnet stockings, a thong and a cop hat. So Grim pulled a Ferris Bueller, and gave the name of an industry big shot (no, not Abe Fromman, the sausage king of Chicago), and they were immediately admitted.

The attendants wore the same outfit as the listkeeper, everything was free, and the gin fizzes were flowing, and it was no sausage fest (sorry, Abe) - the women outnumbered the men ten to one. Or so Grim reported, but by now I knew better than to doubt him.
Artemis
Our adventurers found their way back onto Bourbon Street, and Michael, despairing of finding a potion that would calm the enfant sauvage, turned to shots of raw, hot Tequila. After this, Grim was still mobile, but effectively lobotomized. They encountered a group of transvestites in fish net, admiring the horse of a cop (or maybe the cop on the horse). Grim saw a photo opportunity in poking the mare's twat, and although disabused (guaranteed jail time), nevertheless invoked his LAIGS! mantra upon the horse lovers, apparently thinking they were female (he says he doesn't remember any of this).
Artemis
Sunday morning it was raining, and after a decent night's sleep I felt almost human. But once in my life have I had a decent pillow in a hotel, and this was not it. I don't remember where it was. There's no money in absinthe, but if someone could pitch a decent pillow to the hotels of America, he could make a fortune.

The hungover people woke up barely in time to clear out (the maid was already knocking on the door). Hiding the toilet paper only fazed Grim momentarily, and he made an attempt to use Michael's $300 Drew Brees jersey, which he had been attempting to molest all weekend, for which he was summarily body-slammed. Grim can handle himself, but you don't want to mess with Michael.

There was a text message or two from people about breakfast, which of course had long been missed. The descriptions seemed a little pinky-in-the-air: an exclusive little brunchy place just off the quarter, trendy yet disgruntled, favored by vampires and retired masseurs ...

So we settled for the I Hop on Canal Street, but there was a line. I don't stand in line for much of anything; surely not I Hop. So back to the hotel for the buffet at The Criollo, which was satisfactory, many selections in those shiny dome-icular serving things and cheap (by Monteleone standards) bloody marys.
They feature lobster and Kobe beef omelets made to order, but they were out of both. Biscuits and sausage gravy is good enough for me, though.

So as we were getting into the truck, Grim went back into the bar and returned with gin fizzes to go. He had even talked the bartender into dropping the yolk into them (not the first time he had done so, and they're loathe to do it, but at Tales the learning goes both ways).

So we drove to the airport in the rain, drank a final toast, and dropped Grim at the curb, and over the river and through the woods, to Grandma's house ... (I wish; I miss her).

Finis.
Jaded Prole
Sounds like the best louchfest since A-town. Wish I wuz there.
Artemis
Yep, it was satisfactory. I've always enjoyed it somewhat, but it's amazing what a super-hero can bring to the party.
thegreenimp
Artemis should do Absinthe Travelogues, or maybe become a Tales Travelogue narrator.

I wondered what happened after I limped to the hotel. Damn Shoes

The drive back rivaled the infamous drive to Tales in '05, minus the Animal House Devil and Angel moment, but I did encounter a dead body on I-10, and still made to the kennel in time to pick up Imp#5.

Next year we should all sit in the Old Absinthe House, I wanna be Howard Sprague.

Click to view attachment

I have to look at the photos on the camera, and see what is in focus.
thegreenimp
My adventures in the land of cocktails:

Arrived Thursday early and unloaded all my Herbsaint bottles, then walked down to the quarter to visit my favorite ugly Hawaiian shirt store. Along the way I was pulled into an event for P-R at the Pharmacy Museum by the Bordelon brothers, hung out and swapped a few foggy absinthe historical minutia stories for a bit.

Tiring of the crowd, I repaired to the Sazerac Bar where I enjoyed some quiet time with a Ramos Gin fizz.
Refreshed, I made the Tales rounds at the Monteleone, talked some more foggy historical minutia…I never did get to the Hawaiian shirt store.

Friday I went to visit Artemis, and got Grimmed when I arrived, much fun was had, as we did what we all do best in these times, when we get together. This should happen every week.

Saturday I did my Herbsaint thing, and met Tirador, and was able to sample some of his upcoming Amer Picon, and got a very nice bottle of his Creme de Violette. (Very Nice Stuff!)

We all wandered the quarter in search of adventures like Artemis described, my one regret that I didn't think of at the time, was we should have introduced Grimmy as Won Long Phuc, absinthe brand manager for P-R at the old absinthe house, that might have gotten us in to the closed room where the old fountains were located, I still dream of Grimmy in there where fun could be hatched…

I never did make to the Hawaiian shirt shop.
Grim

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.