Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Victorian Fashion
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
Dr. Paul
I just love the Victorian era in general, but mostly the clothing! The fashions of the day, i think, look really smart and alot better than most of the suits avaible today. Searching round the net ive found some interesting examples of it (websites and movies and such).

http://www.rogerco.freeserve.co.uk/index.htm is a good site with lots of old (actual) photographs from the day, giving good insite to some designs.

http://65.107.211.206/victorian/science/texts.html is a great resource with lots of info on Victorian life.

A good movie i saw recently with modern recreations of classic Victorian clothing is From Hell (even has Absinthe). Id recomend a watch just to see the great clothing.

Anyone else into this sorta thing? Maybe some useful links?

*cough cough* sorry i think ive something in my throat *cough Cough*
spam.gif
Thats better.
Pataphysician
Yes! Very cool. I've seen the second one, but not the first. Recently I was looking all over for examples of fashions circa 1910-1920, my favorite period.

I'd advize against mentioning the "absinthe (ahem) scene" in "Like Hell" around here.
Conju
Ahhh, yes. The victorian era. I have to say I strongly agree with Dr. Paul that that style is, Indeed the best one, and if it weren't for my tight budget, I would like to pick up a tailcoat and a top hat with the cane to complete the outfit.
BlackJack
The secret to getting fairly accurate Victorian-era clothing today is...Cowboy Action Shooting! Really. There is a whole industry catering to guys that like to get dressd up in authentic 19th century clothing and shoot authentic 19th century guns. Cuz cowboys are just Victorians with guns, after all...

chimneysweep.gif

http://www.riverjunction.com/index.html
http://www.wwmerc.com/
http://www.cows.com

Ooh, and I just found this one:

http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/
hartsmar
Excellent links BlackJack. Specially the last one there!

But we're STILL missing on that "absinthe cane" resource... euro.gif
Absomphe
Hartsmar:

I recently sold a terrific 19th century "chasing the dragon cane on ebay...it had inlaid turquoise stones, and somewhat resembled your avatar, when examined straight on..."he " was a wonderful absinthe drinking companion, although not hollowed out in the middle, so you couldn't actually have used him as a large absinthe flask!
hartsmar
So the reason for you posting that, was actually just to make fun of my eyes!! You... ranting.gif
thegreenimp
If you like smoking caps, thjese are quite nice.

http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/prod2.taf?groupId=100067
hartsmar
Nice... I doubt I'd look very "cool" in that one though, but... pretty nifty. fez.gif
Brett
I've got a pocketwatch from the 1860s and a nice top hat from 1911. Real top hats have this lovely shine on them when brushed right, not like those shit felt ones you buy now.

I also have small collection of antique "science" and history books ranging from 1839 - 1913. Its incredible what passed for science back then.
Brett
Heh...it just occured to me, I've got a great picture from my wedding of me in my morning suit and my wife in her dress, the two of us in front a decorated Victorian parlour. Maybe I should find that and post it....
Dr. Paul
Thanks for the cool links! That hat is goin straight on my shopping list!
Conju
I'd agree with brett on this one, If I am going to get a top hat, I'd want it to be authentic. And if I were to get a cane, I would want it to be hollow to hold my absinthe! w00t1.gif

Does anybody know what happened to that cane by the way?
Barsnake
Oooh - I gotta get the leather helmet with the goggles!!!
A few years back I bought one at the Experimental Aircraft Museum in Oshkosh. Turns out that was the best $40 I ever spent
Barsnake
oops
Hiram
Thanks, Dr. Paul, Blackjack and Greenimp for the great links!

I own a vintage 1800's silk plush top hat that is in near mint condition and it's one of my most prized possessions. I freaking love that smoking hat and I'm going to have to get one!

I have searched high and low for a modern maker of genuine silk and fur felt top hats (not to be confused with the pressed felt shit), and Greenimp, that's the first time I've seen them offered (GBP 450.00). If anyone's interested, there are some more economical ones here:
http://www.villagehatshop.com/top_hats.html

And if I were to get a cane, I would want it to be hollow to hold my absinthe!

Look Here.

user posted image
thegreenimp
Another pricey source for smoking caps and jackets :

http://www.turnbullandasser.com/turnbullan...ccessories.html

Absomphe
That green smoking jacket is ideal absinthe sipping attire!!! w00t1.gif
Hiram
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Feb 10 2004, 02:16 PM)
That green smoking jacket is ideal absinthe sipping attire!!! w00t1.gif

My sentiments exactly. There should be a suave emoticon.
Absomphe
Agreed...I forgot to use the bobw.gif there...he's soooooo sophisticated!!!

Pinkies out! torch.gif
Hiram
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Feb 10 2004, 03:31 PM)
Agreed...I forgot to use the bobw.gif there...he's soooooo sophisticated!!!

Pinkies out! torch.gif

Pinkies out!

user posted image
Absomphe
Master Alchemist Redux...where ya been, buddy!!! headbonk.gif torch.gif ironchef-1.gif Smokin Monkey.gif Zombie3.gif brains.gif wacko.gif
Brett
It's those damn Freemason's again. Are they behind everything?

(Speaking of which, I inadvertently came across a two-volume Masonic encyclopedia from 1924).
BlackJack
QUOTE (Brett @ Feb 11 2004, 08:14 AM)
It's those damn Freemason's again. Are they behind everything?

Who controls the British crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs the cave fish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscars night?
We do! We do!

rjordan
I love that episode of the Simpsons BlackJack! Haven't seen it in a while but, I love it.

LARS!.gif
Hiram
Dude, I love the Stonecutters episode; it's up there with Monty Python's Architect Sketch.

Brett: If we were behind everything, Bush wouldn't be in office, Falwell would be laughed out of existance and our kids could get good educations in public schools. By the way, is that Mackey's Encyclopedia?
Brett
Yes, its the Mackey encyclopedia, revised by Hawkins and Hughan.

My great-grandfather was a Freemason until the day he died (literally - he died at lunch in the Masonic hall), but I got these volumes from a friend who was the receipent of a library belonging the relatives of a man well known in Canadian educational circles for his method of handwritting (sorry, I can't recall his name).

Oddly enough, these encyclopedias belonged not to this gentleman but through a relation by marriage.

Confusing, huh?
Hiram
QUOTE (Brett @ Feb 11 2004, 03:25 PM)
My great-grandfather was a Freemason until the day he died (literally - he died at lunch in the Masonic hall)...

Ever consider continuing the tradition?

There's some real good stuff in those encyclopedias, but a lot of it is out of date. Also, they were written for the Scottish Rite so most of it is superfluous to "Blue Lodge" Masonry (the first three degrees).
Dr. Paul
Are those books still in print? Could you recomend any other reading material on the subject? Its something thats interested me for a while now but havent got round to reading up on.

I really should make a to-do list.
AndrewT
We have a nice beaver fur top hat at the Historical Society Museum that I volunteer at. It's a bit beat up, but still as spiffy as ever.The Victorian furniture there is breathtaking as well. One of the beds is more ornate than a gothic cathedral. Of course all we get to do is look at it, but it's still better than any job I get paid for!

And just because we have an icon for the period's namesake: queen_vic2.gif
Rimbaud
QUOTE (Hiram @ Feb 10 2004, 02:35 PM)
And if I were to get a cane, I would want it to be hollow to hold my absinthe!

Look Here.

I own one of those flask canes that you posted the link for, but have never had a chance to use it. It's not all that cool, though. The "flask" is just a small glass test-tube with a cork in it...
Hiram
That blows. It seemed like it might be small. I suppose to hold any quantity the whole cane would have to be hollow.
D. Gray
offtopic2.gif
A bit off topic I know, but at my 21st birthday a couple of weeks ago, my mother gave me an umbrella dating back from the turn of the century. (1900, not 2000 wacko.gif )

It has seen better days, but it is wonderful, with an art nouveau style handle and "cord".

I would love to buy a matching hat and coat and strut around in the old part of Copenhagen.
yes.gif
Hiram
Pictures?
D. Gray
I'll do what I can, but it will probably take a little while, I haven't got access to a digicam, and my SLR is film-less at the moment.

Perhaps I can even get a more accurate dating and/or evaluation of it.

I'll get on it!
sixela
QUOTE (Brett @ Feb 11 2004, 06:14 PM)
It's those damn Freemason's again.

No, they cannot be blamed for poor spelling.
Absomphe
Er, um...

You mean poor punctuation, don't you? abs-cheers.gif
Caprice
how perfectly charminggg, a whole slew of GENTLEMEN who wear toppers and carry canes and arent members of ZZ Top

notice no one's saying what they smoke when they have those smoking hats and jackets on
Absomphe
It can't be as mind-altering as what you're smoking, I'll wager.
traineraz
QUOTE(Caprice @ Aug 25 2007, 04:39 PM) *

notice no one's saying what they smoke when they have those smoking hats and jackets on

The last post being over three years ago, I imagine they forgot.
Caprice
a friend of mine used to auction movie memorabilia, she was on about a Fred Astaire Top Hat she represented…
speedle
So, if you've got nothing to do on a Friday night, your hobby is to resurrect dead threads? Or threads dead people wore?

Kirk
Hey,
I'm sick and tired of talking to a bunch of drunks
who won't let me put in a word edgewise,
that's why I like this,
capriciuosness,
Caprice;
listen up:
I want to hear what you have to say,
I don't care when the post came from that made you do it.
Blow it all off,
blow me a kiss
while you're at it
blow back something that I might have missed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.