Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage Labels
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Pages: 1, 2
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment
G&C
You've a nice collection of label pics.
I like 'em.
Artemis
Sometimes no label is nice.

Click to view attachment
Jay
That's a very fine collection of labels and memories, I've no doubt.

Is there any chance that label to the left of the Dragonfly label is another Wild Bill Turkey creation? Some celestial themes similar to those on the Dylan label seem to be playing out there.
Artemis
The Dragonfly was a commercial release, but it was easier to leave it in than to crop it, and I like it anyway. I'm not sure about the one you mention. In fact, I'm not sure who made any of them, other than the Nephilim (angel and art deco label) and the ones I made myself (all-American and Ear Remover). To me, the little geisha and the others in the same picture are Turkey-like, but I want to say somebody else made all three of those. I seem to remember Turkey was an illustrator for Disney; so ...

Edit: It was Butterfly that was a commercial release; the dragonfly label is homemade.
Provenance
I recognize many of those labels. I'm real lucky, thanks to utterly undeserved kindness from once-upon-a-time strangers. I know that. Those labels bring back memories. But of people, not booze.
Hillbilly
I happen to have one of those odd bottle fountains I bought on the Ebay a while back. Was never quite certain one way or the other if it was a production model of something, or a one of a kind.
Provenance
QUOTE(Artemis @ Aug 19 2013, 04:45 PM) *
The Dragonfly was a commercial release… and I like it anyway.

Maybe. Maybe not commerical. That bottle looked kinda not familiar but not the distillery name. I checked and had a bit left from a bottle of the same absinthe but with a different distillery name. So I louched a glass. Wonderful stuff, it aged real well. A classic of HG art. If I was asked for a benchmark of American HG circa then, the Dragonfly would be a real good choice. Not a huge louche, bfd. Lovely aroma. The anise is soft and the wormwood has bite. I don't know that it's really a classic Pontarlier recipe. Maybe more of an Americanized, "Hey--Wormwood is Really Good Pontarlier" recipe. Butt I like it.
Artemis
You're right! It was Butterfly that was the commercial stuff, out of Boston I think.
Provenance
Indeed.™ My bottle says Mystic River Distilling Co.
Artemis
I happen to have one of those odd bottle fountains

In the early days people were making their own like that; there were no reproductions yet and most people couldn't afford an antique fountain if they even knew how to pursue buying one. But I think that one came from Pier One Imports or the like. I also had a Walmart ice tea jar that was similar, but not as pretty. Both were functional enough. That's a wicker pumpkin on the top, not a stopper.
Provenance
I'll have to get me one of those electronical cameras and post some pics.
thegreenimp
Ah! the Heady daze of Olde Fee Verte scouring eBay for bottles with spigots, and I could get a 30s Herbsaint bottle for eight bucks.

Kirk
I'll have to take some pictures,
Kirk
I don't know about this
Kirk
spoof

and
Kirk
spoof
Kirk
and:
eric
Click to view attachment

Here are some more.
eric
Click to view attachment
Of course we cannot forget these.

eric
Click to view attachment
And these.

Artemis
I overlooked this one - most of these were in other pictures. "Yammering Nattering Nutjob" (sixth from left) I never noticed before (or forgot).
Click to view attachment
Jack Batemaster
…™
Jaded Prole
Nice memories. I've got a few if I can get my old camera to go digital.
Jack Batemaster
Je dois aller à la Sept-Onze …
Kirk
Meh
Kirk
hem
Kirk
Ye
Kirk
Eh
Kirk
Ham
Kirk
Ho
Kirk
hee
Kirk
Har
Kirk
oh
Kirk
or
Kirk
on
Kirk
And
Kirk
on
Kirk
And

On
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.