Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: R.I.P. Carolyn Cassady
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
Provenance

Carolyn Cassady
Artemis
Carolyn wrote a book, too—Off the Road—but it never sold well, not least because it paints a picture of the Beats that’s contrary to the legend

I read it. It was one of the best biographies I ever read. If you haven't read it, you don't know shit about Neal Cassady (or Jack Kerouac). That book - it was as though she had busted open a window everybody else had merely painted over, let everybody get an honest look. I came away from it more impressed with her (and feeling sorry for her) than I had ever been with those two guys.
Artemis
And Aleister Crowley threw an electric koolaid acid test in 1910, using mescaline. I knew about his "Rites of Eleusis" and I knew he had used mescaline himself, but I didn't know he had combined the two, and passed the cup around to the general public in attendance. Learned this last week from a (relatively) new biography of Uncle Al. Must have been a hell of a show.
rob fritz
"electric koolaid acid test " must have had Al Jolson playing back then, I don't think the Dead were around that long ago, but I may be wrong, again…
Artemis
Leila Waddell
IPB Image

Tibro
… and no mad video game.

I had the pleasure to meet some of Carolyn's friends. The guy who wrote "Howl" impressed me as a bit of an old Jewish grandmother. With an appetite for young boys. I'll have to try and find her memoir.

On a similar note, one of the women intimate among the circle of abstraction expressionist painters told me stories of Jack the dripper Pollock's home-baked apple pies. Apparently quite tasty.
delirium
QUOTE("Tibro")
I had the pleasure to meet some of Carolyn's friends. The guy who wrote "Howl" impressed me as a bit of an old Jewish grandmother. With an appetite for young boys.

That's very cool. When and where was this?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.