Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cryptocurrency
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
Tibro
Bitcoin.

Finally a way away from the banksters, or dead weight waiting to rip us off and leave us to the paupers field?

Money is not my forte, but today's financial institutions seem to be dealing in anything but what I recognize as responsible, transparent business transactions. Could cryptocurrency be a savior that can expel the usurers from the temple? Or have Snowden's revelations foretold that nothing crypto can ever be considered a safe haven?

Will Ameratraitor and their exceptional franchisees ever accept it?
Artemis
Run any method of hiding financial transactions from any government by them, and see what they say.

Tibro
You think it will be officially declared unlawful for use by US citizens?
Artemis
That had not occurred to me. I don't think that barter is against the law in the U.S., but I'm pretty sure it's technically against the law not to report the transaction so they can bleed off their "share", even when no cash was involved. And it's not a U.S. issue. The Red Chinese currency is called (or used to be) the renminbi. Bi is the physical currency. Renmin is the people. It's supposedly the peoples' currency. You think they, or any government, are going to welcome a true people's currency?
OCvertDe
…particularly when this people owes them so much of it?
Tibro
It's definitely not a U.S. issue. Bitcoin's a decentralized, international commodity. That fact in itself will make it difficult for regulations to be enacted on a globally cooperative basis that might strangle its existence. But you're right, governments everywhere depend on taking their cut from their national economies (and beyond) to pay for the common services provided. And that's right and proper.

I think bitcoin's greatest service at this point in its development is in the direct transference of money between trading partners without them relying on the help of a bank, which of course takes its cut for providing the assistance. This service is of particular value in international circumstances where bitcoin can be used as a common currency. Transaction and conversion fees charged by banks add up.

There's growing concern over the use of the dollar as the international currency of account. China's currency is too tightly controlled and falsely valued to be a viable stand-in. Russia's economy is too small and the EU too fractured.
G&C
It's gotta be run by the Rothschilds.
Jack Batemaster
Je préfère utilizer le koruna….
Kirk
If you used it, wouldn't it make you look interesting?
Tibro
What's interesting is never having to flash your wallet in front of anybody.
Artemis
A roll of Ben Franklins that would choke a goat, with a rubber band around it, in your pocket, is the way to go behind the Dairy Queen.
Is that a Blizzard in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
Tibro
If you think that's what you choke the goat with then you're doing it wrong.
Artemis
Cash goes where a disco sausage fears to tread.
Kirk
I just meant that it seems like an easy thing for the law to just look at everybody that uses stealth, using it does not make you guilty, it makes you interesting.
Artemis
I thought you were putting Jack in a Dos Equis commercial. You say koruna, I say Corona.
But cryptography is bound to draw attention from cryptographers.
Tibro
It's drawn attention. The potential for drug, gambling and money laundering transactions is clearly understood. The US government has enacted some regulations already.

Having a pilots license, plane and private strip in sparsely populated NM draws attention. But there are legitimate people with the land, resources and business interests that find it advantageous. And the government profits when people prosper.
Artemis
I wasn't really talking about
an easy thing for the law to just look at everybody that uses stealth

What I had in mind was
using it ... makes you interesting
Attention to cryptography by cryptograpers - the same way the posited facility in New Mexico would draw the attention of a pilot.
And the government profits when people prosper.

Those people who are cryptographers willing to sell their services to the government will profit, as the government hopes to do by employing them. Those who don't work for the government will probably do alright, and the criminal ones are probably honing their skills as we speak - they'll probably do better than anybody else. I'm not sure about the rest of the people, though. When I first heard about cyber currency (had to be over ten years ago, on a cryptology forum) I thought it was a good idea.
Jaded Prole
Currency is already virtual, probably half the currency in the US is imaginary, might as well go all the way. Extra-governmental currency, along with cooperative business and banking beat being slaves to a scandalously corrupt scam of a system.
Tibro
QUOTE(Artemis @ Nov 16 2013, 06:18 PM) *
cryptography is bound to draw attention from cryptographers.

Those aren't crickets chirping, they're cicada.
Artemis
I used to listen to encrypted Vietnamese military radio conversations. We had named that system Mercury Grass. It was like listening to a tinny conversation retarded 10% back in time upon itself, mixed with a chorus effect of cicadas (Cajuns call them wing-wings). You could ALMOST understand what they were saying, like ghosts in another room. Of course, turning a knob would bring it into the full light of day - it wasn't exactly advanced even for its time, at least not as much as they thought it was. The signals the Russians sent to their satellites and missiles were all named after liqueurs. Cointreau would put you into a trance if you listened too long - a sort of Cold War Deadmau5.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Nov 17 2013, 08:33 AM) *

Currency is already virtual, probably half the currency in the US is imaginary, might as well go all the way.
Pretty much my take as well.

That said, I'm also Libertarian by principle, but realistic enough to admit that if they had valid solutions they probably would have gotten themselves a lot farther by now. So.
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(Artemis @ Nov 14 2013, 01:14 PM) *

Run any method of hiding financial transactions from any government by them, and see what they say.

Nous pouvons voir ce qu'ils disent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.