Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To Make Absinthe At Home
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
Jay
Some fast and loose G00gling yesterday yielded information on a new e-book called "How To Make Absinthe At Home", by a fellow named Israel Moore. I'm not interested enough to the tune of $8.99 to buy it in order to find out if it's decent or not, but I will say I'm surprised that someone didn't publish such a book earlier in the "absinthe renaissance" of the 2000s (especially now that the initial excitement for the drink appears to be on the decline at the moment).

Out of curiosity, is anyone here at FV affiliated with this publication? Someone at the home distiller site speaks highly of it.
Kirk
Simple, no one knows how, or the few that do aren't talking, and fewer still doing it.
Artemis
I never heard of it, or him, but the name associated with the book may not be his real name. I don't care about it enough at this point to look into it any further, but there have been discussions about writing such a book among various people within "our" community from the beginning, even from before 2000. Because home distillation is illegal in the U.S., despite the apparent naivete of those Amazon reviewers, it was always and remains problematic.
Artemis
It's also as Kirk said; anybody who truly knows how to explain it, and there aren't many, and they're not necessarily good writers, are going to be reluctant to sell that knowledge for the relatively paltry sums that sale of the book would bring. It's sort of like the old saying about teachers, if you can't do it, get a job teaching about it.
Jay
I've seen a few books on home distillation coming out over the past year or so, and not just these home-grown e-books or small press books without barcodes that you find on the shelves at independent bookstores, either. It makes me wonder if there's been some sort of groundswell in the number of folks mixing their own medicine, particularly in light of the Colorado and Washington (state) legalization of weed this past year.

Hell, even on Craiglist I see folks openly selling distillation equipment and not getting flagged off the site anymore, which truly is surprising.
Artemis
I agree that the law doesn't seem to be on top of it as most of us envisioned they would be, but in any case I was talking specifically about absinthe distillers publishing their knowledge. Amidst the "coming out", so to speak, that you mention, any absinthe distiller with whom we're familiar coming out would be an aberration, I think.
G&C
There are many federal laws the DOJ wants to ignore…

Specially the ones about running guns into Mexico by the ATF.
Tibro
There are rumors I've heard of another absinthe forum where there are folks claiming not only extensive knowledge about the making of absinthe but a rare comradery and willingness to share and help others in the process. Maybe someone there knows something about it. Even the profit motive fits the profile of what I've heard.

Myself, I don't believe such a place exists.
Provenance
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jan 17 2014, 03:36 PM) *
if you can't do it, get a job teaching about it.

If you can't teach it, consult on it.
If you can't consult on it, go into government and regulate it.
dr_ordinaire
QUOTE(Jay @ Jan 17 2014, 02:43 PM) *
I'm not interested enough to the tune of $8.99 to buy it in order to find out if it's decent or not, but I will say I'm surprised that someone didn't publish such a book earlier in the "absinthe renaissance" of the 2000s (especially now that the initial excitement for the drink appears to be on the decline at the moment).

Not a book, but there were some basic instructions in Dale Pendell´s excellent "Pharmako-Poeia. A book that inspired many and, I say with some bitterness, led some of us astray.
Artemis
Pendell was indeed one of the first instructions identified by would-be absinthe distillers, and remains among the most misleading ... got to start somewhere, though.
Hillbilly
I only know of one way to make absinthe at home.

Drip the water in very slowly.
G&C
Indeed…
The 10 minute drip.
OCvertDe
And cold. Ice cold. Preferably filtered.
Artemis
Spring water or well water, filtered by rocks.
Provenance
Power-louched from a faucet.
OCvertDe
Sure, sure. So long as it doesn't smell like… well, anything.
Jay
QUOTE(Hillbilly @ Jan 23 2014, 04:59 AM) *

I only know of one way to make absinthe at home.

Drip the water in very slowly.

That's how I make absinthe when I'm away, too.
Tibro
I follow the instructions on the box.
Bruno Rygseck
Better just make it from essences.

(not)
L'Assommoir
This one! this one! I can distill this one? this the one I distill? Is is this one?
IPB Image
dr_ordinaire
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jan 22 2014, 05:29 PM) *

Pendell was indeed one of the first instructions identified by would-be absinthe distillers, and remains among the most misleading … got to start somewhere, though.

I would like to add that several years after Bittergate I met Dale at a conference and I told him that traditional absinthe recipes did NOT have A. absinthium in the colouring step, and he answered: "Yes, I know, but I like the bitter taste."

I wanted to strangle him…
Artemis
I thought he was some guy from the 1800s.
Whatever he pretends to like now, he didn't know what he was talking about when he wrote that crap.
Nobody likes anything that bitter.
Jack Batemaster
trop amère

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.