Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Box of Money
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
Artemis
IPB Image

It's not what you think.
http://www.viralnova.com/box-of-money/
Jay
With the right kind of salesmanship, he might be able to sell his creation for the amount of money which it appears to hold. It's a stunning achievement.

I wouldn't recommend carrying it around, though.
Tibro
New twist on an old trick.

IPB Image
Kirk
Is the nickel cad cam?
Tibro
No idea. I was after a simple disk token of the same denomination when it fell into my browser. It's damned detailed for its size if the background comparison is to be believed.
Kirk
It's made up of boards or pieces of wood so I'd say the scale is off, the nickel is big.
Does anyone here know much about cad programs? I'm trying to create a .dxf file using Corel 3 and then convert the file but I'm getting poor results. What's a user friendly program that is free or cheap?
Kirk
I'm trying to make a grille that does not cost too much.
Artemis
The original Artemis spoon drawing was made using a combination of Autocad (vector) and a bitmap program (I think it was Microsoft Paint). Converting DXF files can be a problem; at the time I had access to programs for such that I didn't own. I do have both Autocad and Autocad Lite somewhere, but they're not installed on my machine. On my last project they wouldn't spring for Autocad except for the use of a couple of "graphic artists", but I didn't like their work, so I did all my own graphics using Paint. The end users couldn't tell the difference. Message me or call me; I'm not sure exactly what it is you're trying to do, but we'll get her done somehow.
Kirk
A friend of mine is recommending Adobe CS6 but the cheapest I can find it is $550 and that's not in my budget right now. I think I've converted my Corel 3 design to to a .dxf so my mission may be complete but I'm still dead in the water for future projects until I can get a copy and learn to use it reliably.
To do this one (go ahead and laugh) I actually used 8 hours fiddling with Corel, plus scissors, tape and white out to complete it, in the process I found out that Michaels craft store does not carry white out in any shape or form, first time I ever went in there, last time too.
Artemis
And a friend of yours is recommending Autocad ...
I think I've converted my Corel 3 design to to a .dxf so my mission may be complete

That's what I was thinking, but why does it even have to be a dxf file? Unless you want a machine to make the thing (Cad-Cam) using the drawing, and then you're into mass quantities of dollars.
I for one am not laughing; I've been there and done all that and more, hundreds, maybe thousands of hours to get graphics where I wanted them to be, cutting and pasting, whiteout, whatever. Liquid whiteout seems to have been phased out by the applicators that lay down a strip of white tape - they work just fine with a lot less mess. As for the future, if you're down for the learning curve we can still talk about hooking you up to Autocad.
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(Kirk @ Mar 10 2014, 07:51 AM) *

I'm trying to make a grille that does not cost too much.

Pas comme le produit !
Kirk
I definitely need to learn auto cad. My plan was to learn how to make something in an in expensive way as opposed to what I do now, which is obsess over it til I think it's priceless. If I can create this than I can repeat it. I want to use a commercial cad shop to cut my punches and dies, that's why I need the .dxf skills.
I imagined I would whip out this digital design in seconds, the way I see Jack do and then send it to the job shop and get a punch that I can make widgets with, but it turns out I was dreaming about it being easy.
Artemis
I mis-used the word "raster" in a preceding post. What I meant was "vector". So I corrected it.
Autocad makes "vector" images. "Bitmap" and "raster" are pretty much the same thing. Vector is much cleaner.
IPB Image
As I mentioned to Kirk privately, an Autocad drawing in its raw form (the form the computer creates and "sees") is like a numerical database, a series of mathematical instructions. That's why a machine can turn a DXF file into a hard object.
Jack Batemaster
J'utilise les Expressions Design et la Photochopper.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.