Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Instant Absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe History
Artemis
Someone did:

http://www.museeabsinthe.com/forums/index....ic=2726&hl=
Provenance
The modern version of alcohol-free absinthe is absinthe-free alcohol.
Tibro
At least alcohol is (I'm assuming) free of pharmaceutical contaminants. Can't say that for water. Filthy stuff. Fish fuck in it, too.
Artemis
That's what I thought when I read in there that water was "available everywhere". Water, maybe. Water that wouldn't kill you, not so much. No brain-eating amoebas in even bad-tasting alcohol, I think.
Kirk
Reminds me of the old Bottle Caps candy, the instructions said to add to a glass of water and it turns to pop.
I liked popping them in my mouth and feeling the fizz.
Jaded Prole
I remember the "Fizzies" version.
L'Assommoir

"Fizzies"

Wow they still make it.

The root beer was my fav.
Tibro
Fun fact: Fizzies became a huge cultural icon! In the movie National Lampoon's Animal House, set in 1962, Dean Wormer reads a list of pranks committed by members of the Delta House fraternity, which included dumping an entire truckload of Fizzies into a swimming pool during a varsity meet.

I wonder if Absinthinette was ever the vehicle for pranks.
Kirk
At half a buck a pop, prolly not.
Tibro
One needn't think in terms of truckloads for an amusing prank. How much did a glass of the "real stuff" go for then?
Artemis
I think Kirk was remembering Fizzies. Bottle Caps are still around today also, but they don't effervesce. I remember Fizzies as well. The fizziness wasn't enough to make up for the boring (compared to soda pop) flavor. But they were better than the root beer extract with the Indian on the label (everything is more magical with an Indian). My mother would mix that for the family using water from a cypress cistern (the mosquito larvae in that thing would make a Frenchman in thirsty Africa pause) but the lack of fizziness and lack of ice killed the deal for me. Better to get hold of a nickel (Grandma was always good for one), walk to the store and get a bottle of ice cold Barq's, also still around today, although sold out to Coca Cola. In those days it came in a big bottle with a diamond pattern in the glass, looked like a German hand grenade, you could knock out Mike Tyson with that thing.
Artemis
IPB Image
Jaded Prole
Vintage!

I liked the root beer flavor best but it was certainly not as good as bottled.
Tibro
I like wintergreen butt certainly not as much as sassafras.
Jack Batemaster
Qu'en est-il de la salsepareille ? Du foie haché ?
Artemis
Sassafrass est nécessaire pour faire cuire le gombo.
Salsepareille est surtout un embêtement. Il a des épines comme les griffes de le chat sauvage.
Click to view attachment

Tibro
Wintergreen is good for aching muscles.

I hate aching muscles. Is root beer good for aching muscles?
thegreenimp
They did it in NOLA during the national dry spell:
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.