Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pork ribs? WTF?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > Administrative News & Site Updates
BlackJack
Um, other than it being kinda funny, is there any reasoning behind having the forum change the word t-h-u-j-o-n-e into "pork ribs". I know thuj-1 is basically irelevant, but treating it like a taboo word only increases the perception that it is some kind of illegal drug, that we are being -hush-hush about it and using secret code words.

This forum is about education and it does no god to pussyfoot around the subject. If we want to dispell the myths, we have to be willing to discuss them.
Head_prosthesis1
Pork ribs are good... End of discussion.
viande verte
Oh my, me ears tingled when I heard someone possibly stopping a discussion on Pork Ribs.
I'm behind you all 100% on distilling the correct yet impelling history on t-h-u-j-o-n-e. People need to know and not be misguided. They need to be given true direction in their pursuit of knowledge. This, I believe we can all agree upon.
However, we need to consider The Rib. We're not talking about Mc Dee's Riblets, nor are we talking about Applebee's Rib Nuts. These are butcher fresh pink ribs of the highest caliber. These ribs are screaming for a spicy mexicanny dry rub only a true master could muster. A glistenny sauce built for slow mesquite fires with caramelization only a human could enjoy. I'm sorry but how could you possibly compare or even question the assertion that Pork Ribs need to replace t-h-u-j-o-n-e.
Riddle me this: What in all its glory can be enjoyed on a warm fall afternoon whilest relaxing on thine lawn chair with an ice cold Burgie? (pssssfttt, it ain't a plate full of t-h-u-j-o-n-e that's fer sure).
Count this one full vote for Pork Ribs. Hugs.
Kallisti
What is the bastard child of Pork ribs? Pork chops.

And what is the cute older sister of Pork chops? Cajun Pork chops.

And thanks to Justin Wilson's 1986 magnum opus, that is what we had tonight.

But due to the recipe stating "Let them cook until the gravy is done." they did come out a little overdone.

But yeeehaw! Thems good eats.
Kallisti
another piccie! (the plates were a weddin' gift from my boss. thanks boss lady!)
Kallisti
Foreword:

Me, I'm in love!

With cookin', that is, in case Sara is readin' this.

An' I done got me this love affair more years behind than I like to confess, although I an't nearly so ol' as some peoples think I is!

Mos' especially, I'm in love with cookin' Cajun-style, since I done brought myself up amonth these wonderous people, the Louisiana Cajuns.

What I love mos' about Cajun cookin' is the imagines what they done put into it.

You see, my frien', although some Cajuns is rich as thick cream, mos' of them ain't  what you would call broke out with riches, I garontee.  An' mos' of them Cajuns ain't got the money to buy them fancy cuts of meat and high price' vegetables in they cookin'.
emmy
man, now i'm fuggin hungry... goin to bed, maybe i'll dream up some yummy meat bites!

hmm... we need a pork chop emoticon now!
Kallisti
chop.gif
viande verte
Bastard of ribs is chops? You on drugs? Feh.

However, I do like the idea of cook the chops until the gravy is done. What I'll bet he's talking about is letting them simmer for a long damn time until the meat pulls apart. Well, maybe it don't take that long. But it takes a damn site longer than 6 minutes a side.

Here's my contribution to the chop thread.

user posted image
Marc Chevalier
A plenty rusty fork and knife you got there, pardner.
Rimbaud
QUOTE (Marc Chevalier @ Oct 1 2003, 11:32 AM)
A plenty rusty fork and knife you got there, pardner.

Belle Epoque-era antiques? By the way, that chop looks DANG tasty! I think I'm goin' to lunch early... chop.gif chop.gif chop.gif
Nolamour
You'll be needing that tetanus shot after biting on that fork. I remember falling on to an old rusty fence and impaling myself...well, lets just say, I had to produce immunity in by inoculation.

guillotine.gif
viande verte
That ain't be rust. Those are old carbon steel and get a patina. I admit it looks like rust, but it ain't. I collect them ... my little darlings.
viande verte
I was attempting to find more pictures of my knives and forks. While I was perusing a few files, I ran accross this:

user posted image
viande verte
As I was posting that slab of pork ribs, I thought maybe you chicken lovers might be getting jealous. Don't worry, I have something for you as well.

I have something to admit though, I stuffed strips of applewood smoked bacon under the skin, over the breast meat.

user posted image
Rimbaud
Goddamnit! I'm goin' to lunch right NOW!!!!
Artemis
using secret code words

Nothing secret about it. You send a certain word into the ether, down endless wires of night - you get in return the meat for all to see. It gives people pause as to whether they should send it again - sort of like deciding if you want to spend the last three dollars in your pocket on a hamburger or a box of bullets. If it's any consolation to you, I am the high priest of anti-porkribs, and I was the first to say the word and see the duck come down.

But Cajun cooking is the one true God, and Justin Wilson is its prophet.

Selah.
Artemis
What's disturbing is trying to send this post, and seeing my firewall tell me about an attempted connection to "Meathenge" dot com. Nothing good can come of that. Request denied.
Marc Chevalier

"Selah."

Gesundheit.
Kallisti
Looks like meathenge is where the previous chicky/pork pix are loading from.

No backdoor meat attacks there.
thegreenimp
chop.gif Vishnu The Griller chop.gif
Kallisti
My weddin' present to Head, a vintage Salty & Peppy BBQ set.

emmy
chop.gif yay! chop.gif
Morrigan
I usually prefer to order my meat products to go -

user posted image

(courtesy of The Meat Gallery
Kallisti
OH. MY. GAWD.

"The failed raid of the meat police on Meatyville, 5/2003"

I'm hyperventilating.
Kallisti
Morrigan. You are a star. I've missed you.

user posted image
viande verte

Back Door Meat Attacks !!!!!

STAND AND DELIVER !!!

Vishnu the Griller. Man, that's a great one.
Nolamour
Life is quite neet with "HATS OF MEAT"

http://www.thescreamonline.com/strange/str...hatsofmeat.html

...I think the actual site is down, but this'll do.
thegreenimp
http://www.pottedmeatmuseum.com/

Only for the brave. shock.gif
Nolamour
Hey! I remember that...

I used to force those down as a fraternity pledge. Yea Yea Yea, I know, I'm an old frat boy...but, at least I got to even the score on the next year's incoming freshmen.

I think the brand I had was Armour.
Rimbaud
QUOTE (Nolamour @ Oct 1 2003, 04:35 PM)
Life is quite neet with "HATS OF MEAT"

...I think the actual site is down, but this'll do.

That's awesome.
BlackJack
QUOTE (viande verte @ Oct 1 2003, 08:20 AM)
I admit it looks like rust, but it ain't.

It is rust, it just isn't ACTIVE rust. It's still ferric oxide, it's just formed enough of a protective layer over the steel underneath that there isn't enough oxgen for it to spread.

patina : rust :: plants :: weeds
viande verte
Well yeah okay. I stand corrected and would have corrected myself if I'd thought about it fer a sec. It ain't active. Plus I oil the old carbon stuff with mineral oil on a regular basis. I usually use it as my 'cookin fork', but it works well for taking pictures of food as well. If you're into that type of thing.
I_B_Puffin
For what it's worth I agree with you Blackjack. It was humorous for a day or two, but after that...
Head_prosthesis1
For a day or two I forgot all about it, after that you can kiss my ass.
viande verte
*-SMOOCH-*
I_B_Puffin
OK then 4-methyl-1-(1-methylethyl)bicyclo[3.1.0]hexan-3-one it is. Unless you prefer extraits de plantes d'absinthe.
Head_prosthesis1
It would really be funny if we changed "I think" to "Thank you sir may I have another?"
Kallisti
Sorry boys, we're aaaaall outa ribs.
viande verte
Maaay be all out of ribs, but we still seem to have plenty of cheeese.
hoganman12
G-d almighty all this talk of pork ribs, so cruel to us Jews, why not spare ribs, we can all enjoy spare ribs. bobw.gif
Kallisti
Er, "spare ribs" are pork ribs.
Kallisti
Besides, Pork will give you energy!

Oh wait, that is about how the congress slipping us the pork on a new energy bill. Oops.
I_B_Puffin
That article is a fine example of why politicians can't be trusted to handle money.

My favorite:
"The continuation of a tax credit of up to $100,000 for small businesses that buy sport utility vehicles, including Hummers." I need to start a small business; I've always wanted a Hummer.
Lord Stanley
I like Hummers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.