Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Artemis
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Corn Hole
Hillbilly
Banjo!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Absomphe
If you actually crafted that beauteous sucker, play us a little ditty on it, would you?
Artemis
Well it is sort of what, organic?
No frets.
Pumpkin glued to a chair leg.
Not that these are bad things.
The Green Man is a touch of class on almost anything, but I would have expected to see him on a lute sooner than on a banjo.
In the end, it's all about how it sounds.
Which brings to mind what happened last night, might as well tell the story.
I play this video game called Amalur; it's mostly about killing monsters and villains.
So my granddaughter (age 5) said she wanted to play.
I let her take the game I had in progress, figured I'd let her wander around in the woods and pick some flowers, which she did, but then she encountered some monsters. I had underestimated her. She waded into their midst and slaughtered them with no trouble at all.
Then she wanted to go into town, so I showed her how to do that.
She went into the tavern.
Now, in these types of games, there's almost always someone playing a lute in the tavern, and it's usually about as tolerable as Herman's Hermits.
So the next time I check on her, there's a woman lying dead on the floor.
"Did you kill that woman?"
"Yep!" (giggling)
"Why?"
"That music was making me angry."
G&C
evill.gif
Kirk
What a sweetie!
Tibro
There was pub I used to stop by once in a while some time back. It faced out on a sizable park across the street. No one had any problem with you talking a stroll with a glass of beer from the pub when the weather allowed. It was a neighborhood place and the patrons looked after things outside. The park benches nearby were practically pub property.

When the weather wasn't so good, and there wasn't a local sports team on the television, there'd often be a song rising into the cloud of cigarette smoke that filled the small room. Seemed the stumpf violin leaning by the bar or a back corner was a permanent fixture to accompany whoever might have brought a guitar. Pure folk art. It had wonderful devil's head situated at the top, supporting some jingly things. And it got a work-out regularly. It was well loved, but it wasn't public. It had a master and they had a fidelity for each other. They'd probably be honored to back up a song on that banjo.
Tibro
I mostly don't play electronic games.
I mostly don't think about killing ones and nulls in full action.
I mostly think the real stuff is more than enough to think about.

And then I pour another drink.
Tibro
And then I think I'd like to hear a song.
Artemis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5O02gSkM2U
Hillbilly
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Feb 28 2014, 05:53 PM) *

If you actually crafted that beauteous sucker

I wish I could take credit, but it's this guy, Barry Sholder http://www.gourdbanjosbybarry.com/

I have built a couple fretless mountain banjos based on the Frank Proffitt style. I really dig the slides you can get from a fretless.
Click to view attachment
play us a little ditty on it, would you?

Nope. I've done enough wailing and moaning on another thread, but here's Adam Hurt
playing a fine tune on a double pot gourdy, with Mathew Olwell doing some outstanding flatfootin'. If you like that sorta thing.
Absomphe
Indeed, thanks! abs-cheers.gif
Kirk
A transporting tone.
Jaded Prole
Nice. I like the fluidity of that fretless slide.
Artemis
If you like that sorta thing.

I like that sort of thing.
Two pieces with picking and hoofing by David Eugene Edwards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-vpAn15-vE

Artemis
Nice cloud man on the wall, too.
I had a small one. Squirrels went to work on him and trimmed his beard.
Click to view attachment
Jack Batemaster
Avez un bone anniversaire avec beaucoup d'os !
Hillbilly
Okay, it's a stretch but….

IPB Image

http://theartoftheroom.com/2013/10/the-tower-of-peretti/
Hillbilly
I certainly hope no offense is taken by this post/thread. There was none meant. My wife has been a big fan of Green Man long before we met. I knew nothing of it until I came here. She is the one found the fireplace article. I know it's not Green Man but thought it was pretty neat and thought those here might think so too.
Once again, no offense to Artemis or this forum meant at all.
Absomphe
I've been ThGreenman@aol.com for over sixteen years, and I certainly see no reason to take umbrage at your photographic examples of my relatives. biggrin.gif

Artemis
I can't imagine why anyone would be offended by anything you've posted in this thread. I enjoyed all of it.
Provenance
I'm offended that you meant no offense.
Artemis
tongue.gif
Jaded Prole
What Prov said. A little offensiveness is good now and then.
Artemis
Indeed, but just in case, I wasn't trying to offend with my remarks about the banjo, either. It's a fine thing. Anything with strings is good. Well, maybe not a piano, but even that can be good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9h8mn_bti8
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Mar 10 2014, 03:04 PM) *

What Prov said. A little offensiveness is good now and then.

Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …

\

Hillbilly
Well good then. In that case, here's another fine banjo by Barry.

The…..Jaded Prol?Click to view attachment
Absomphe
Si il et Bater avaient un enfant de l'amour, il est lŕ !
G&C
That's not being offensive.
That's just being an ass jack.
Tibro
A little offensiveness is good now and then.

If a little is good then a lot can't be all bad either.
Jack Batemaster
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/5879219712/h812E7DE2/
Jack Batemaster
IPB Image
Le vrai hibdilly
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Mar 11 2014, 06:00 AM) *

Si il et Bater avaient un enfant de l'amour, il est lŕ !

lui
Hillbilly
abs-cheers.gif
Jaded Prole
Bater is the master of offensiveness, though his response to me provided some much appreciated entertainment.

Provenance
Stealing Artemis. Such a thing ought not be done.
Artemis
Whenever I see a show on TV about Pompeii I'm disturbed by the seeming impossibility of managing such a thing. So I'm not surprised to read:
Pompeii has been plagued for decades by accusations of mismanagement, neglect and even infiltration by the local Camorra mafia.

Maybe they should let the mafia run the whole show. Might be more efficient. People think twice about stealing from them for sure.

Tibro
Might be a good direction for legitimizing money laundering. At least it's something that we all, in some way, profit from. Better than giving the banksters another unearned cut of the greater economic pie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.