Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: American Cool
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
Provenance
American Cool

Who is cool
Jack Batemaster
Les personnes qui boivent de l'absinthe n'est pas cool.
Hillbilly
They forgot one.

Click to view attachment
G&C
That's not cool.
Absomphe
QUOTE(G&C @ Mar 12 2014, 05:41 PM) *

That's not Kool.

Indeed.

Prolly more like Camel Unfiltered.
Hillbilly
Yeah, sorry bout that. Didn't mean to "post hog".
Jaded Prole
"Cool" is for kids and posers.

Originally it referred to the disaffected affect of Jazz folks who seemed to stay "cool" no matter what. Since, it has devolved to something promoted to sell sub-cultural paraphernalia and entertainment. Better to be authentic.
Tibro
2 kule 4 pskewl?
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Mar 13 2014, 08:22 AM) *

"Cool" is for kids and posers.

Originally it referred to the disaffected affect of Jazz folks who seemed to stay "cool" no matter what. Since, it has devolved to something promoted to sell sub-cultural paraphernalia and entertainment. Better to be authentic.

Tu ne comprends pas parce que tu bois de l'absinthe.
Artemis
They forgot one.

Looks like hausgemacht.
In any case, James Dean gives me the creeps. Whatever cool is, that's not it.
Hillbilly
Well, if the Man in Black ain't cool….

I'll hang my head and cry.
Jack Batemaster
Est-ce qu'il buvait de l'absinthe ?
Artemis
I didn't mean that Johnny wasn't cool.
I meant that James Dean (the first picture that came up on that link about cool things) wasn't cool.
I have never understood his appeal.
I don't have a problem with the man in black.
Jaded Prole
Amurkins tyrna only speek French in an English forum aren't kewl neither.
Hillbilly
I'm easily confused.
And hell yes he drank absinthe. Shoot… He invented the stuff.
Tibro
Who the fuck would ever give a flying rat's ass about being cool / kewl?

Or about drinking absinthe for that matter.

Lard save us all.
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(Hibdiddy @ Mar 13 2014, 04:14 PM) *

…absinthe. Shoot… He invented the stuff.

Il s'appelle Ted Breaux ?
pikkle
QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ Mar 14 2014, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Hibdiddy @ Mar 13 2014, 04:14 PM) *

…absinthe. Shoot… He invented the stuff.

Il s'appelle Ted Breaux ?

Ted still dwells here?
thegreenimp
Remember, Bogart was once the Mellin's Babyfood Baby.
Artemis
Looks like he was born with frogfeet.
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Artemis @ Mar 13 2014, 02:07 PM) *

They forgot one.

In any case, James Dean gives me the creeps. Whatever cool is, that's not it.

Never forget James Dean shacked up with Dizzy Liz Sheridan (Jerry Seinfeld's Mom on Seinfeld) just picture James Dean at Del Boca Vista with Morty and Jack Klompas. shock.gif
Artemis
I remember her saying that she was fast friends with, who was it, either the woman from Bewitched (yum) or the wife of Chevy Chase in the Lampoon movies (yum too). Hell, even Aunt Esther was fine once.
Jack Klompas was sort of cool, but no Uncle Leo.
Tibro
QUOTE(quikdill @ Mar 15 2014, 04:52 AM) *

Ted still dwells here?

Tibro!

(Duck feet not included.)
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Artemis @ Mar 15 2014, 05:01 PM) *

I remember her saying that she was fast friends with, who was it, either the woman from Bewitched (yum) or the wife of Chevy Chase in the Lampoon movies (yum too). Hell, even Aunt Esther was fine once.
Jack Klompas was sort of cool, but no Uncle Leo.

Uncle Leo used to be a beatnik way back when, but then Alvy Moore (Hank Kimble) was one of the bikers in Rebel Without A Cause. ( Lee Marvin and Tim Carey were closer to the real thing in that one)
Artemis
Rebels Without A Clue is high up on my shitlist of unwatchable films.
That movie with the Green Acres man is indeed the biker version of the same film - Clueless on Wheels. What a dangerous lot - piss them off and they might break a glass or something, or order sushi and not pay.
Uncle Leo is in Kelly's Heroes, so is Archie Bunker, but that's a decent movie; at least the comedy isn't unintentional like in the other two.
IPB Image
There was some crap on TMC last night; David Carradine was the only name I recognized in the billing and I kept waiting for him to show up, then I took a closer look at the guy in drag (it wasn't easy) and realized I had been watching David from the getgo. Then I turned it off.
IPB Image

G&C
He was a 'different' kind of guy…
Jack Batemaster
TBreaux, Tibro ou les deux ?
Tibro
You misspelled "est un dieu".
Artemis
Indeed, mais peut il faire de la musique avec une saucisse?
http://www.museeabsinthe.com/forums/index....ost&p=65357
Jack Batemaster
Il parle français, mais il doit être allemand.
Artemis
He takes a disturbing pleasure in wrangling those sausages, for sure.
Bruno Rygseck
http://vimeo.com/38683163
Bruno Rygseck
IPB Image
Best goddamn car in the yard.
Artemis
Otto: Hey! Hey look at that. Look at those assholes over there.
Bud: Ordinary fucking people. I hate 'em!

Bud: Credit is a sacred trust. It's what our free society is founded on. You think they give a damn about their bills in Russia? I said do you think they give a damn about their bills in Russia?
Otto: They don't pay bills in Russia. It's all free.
Bud: All free? Free my ass, what are you a fucking commie? Huh?
Otto: No I ain't no commie.
Bud: Well you'd better not be I don't want any commies in my car. No Christians either.

Kirk
American cool is the South bend tool room lathe or screw machine, known as an automatic lathe.
I just picked up a 9" South Bend tool room bench lathe with all the extra bells , whistles and tooling.
They turned me loose on one starting in 7th grade, along with all the other boys in South Bend, Indiana. Kids got hurt, some lost fingers, another got scalped when his long hair became wrapped around the center punch he was turning, injuries were common. We were all (grateful) fodder for the mills; Bendix, Sibley, Oliver, South Bend rod and reel, South Bend Watch , South Bend lathe and machine tool company and on and on. Every kid with aptitude for it was guaranteed a job as a machinist. Today they would not let a kid near one of these machines, let alone teach him to operate it.
Greytail
Good find.
You are right about the things kids miss out on now days.
I took as much wood and metal shop as they would allow me back in the day. Even used extra time slots to sneak in there. Lots of good memories and experience.
One day I would love to come across a nice lathe at a decent price.
Cheers Kirk.
Greytail
Kirk,have you made anything yet with that lathe?
Hillbilly
I watched a fella at the handle mill (the fella who was training me) get his two fingers took off and sucked up the big vacuum line that took all the sawdust to the holding area, before being burned in a kiln. He didn't even know it happened til he saw the blood. Took about a dozen men to dig through the 5 ft high and 15 ft wide pile of sawdust to find his digits. By then he was already at the hospital and stitched up. I asked to work in the sanding room after that. Needless to say, I sanded ax handles all day long, every day, and was damn glad of it.
Kirk
I've been cleaning it up and fine tuning it, it's from the late 1930's in good shape but a lot of it covered in red velvet. Chucked some oil bronze and turned a small bushing, that's about it.
I need to collect some tooling for it like a tool post grinder and milling set up, a full set of collets and all that little stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.