Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Okay, wake the hell up!
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
pikkle
Pikkle lives. Now he lives in Mobile, Al instead of Detroit (yes, there's a steel mill here so I'm not so lonely from my love… ) So what the hell, how did this forum get so lame??? Well, here's the deal, I've been out of it for a while, now I'm back. I'm 2 hours from NO. Who is coming down here? Speak up, I can't hear you??? If this city has no scene, I'll make one. And someone find Head and drag him with you, screaming and bleeding out the anus if you have to. I'm waiting, urgent means late… (and get rid of those stupid, cartoon things, geez!)
Kirk
Holy crap, the dead speaks!
thegreenimp
You'll have to rouse everyone from their Facebook™ induced stupors.
Artemis
Ted still dwells here?
(from a different thread)
Ted has not darkened the doorway here for many years, but he does live in Bamalama these days.
Tibro
T. Breaux?

Fuck that.

Tibro!
pikkle
QUOTE(thegreenimp @ Mar 15 2014, 08:58 AM) *

You'll have to rouse everyone from their Facebook™ induced stupors.

Or we can start a "We Met at La Fée Verte" FB group.
Artemis
That's an interesting thought, sort of like the people on Youtube who heard a 10 year old song for the first time in a TV commercial and want to be congratulated for it, only with detectable brainwave activity.
G&C
detectable brainwave activity
Not on farcebook…
Artemis
I don't think anybody we respect here goes brain dead when they post there, is what I meant.
The thing about this place is, we run it. Facebook, not a chance.
Jaded Prole
I prefer anti-social media.
Artemis
Be careful, you wouldn't want anybody to unfriend you.
http://www.esurance.com/commercials/beatrice
Jaded Prole
Fortunately none of my friends are virtual. If the real folks I know want to unfriend me, I won't lose any sleep over it.
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(Tibro @ Mar 15 2014, 05:24 PM) *

T. Breaux?

Fuck that.

Tibro!

D'accord !
Artemis
Tibro and T. Breaux, two friends who once were virtual and turned into real folks, thanks to antisocial media. Facebook had no part in it.
Tibro
You misspelled "fooks".
Kirk
I never joined F.B. I'm no over socializer, the wife did though and after she quit, Zuckerberg stalked her, it was annoying and a little sick, every few days he would send a picture of one of our daughters and say something like
" S is very sad, please come back" or "T. misses you very much and wishes you'd come back", none of those comments were initiated by friends, just Mark Zuckerberg being needy, really pissed me off in a way that is hard to describe, cursed long and deep, maybe.
Jaded Prole
F.B is creepy. It tracks users even when they aren't there, raids their email lists and sends stuff out. People are attracted because of the contact and the illusion of being more connected but its a scam to collect information and target advertising. Some of the "friends" people think they have are bots. Some are NSA posers.
Artemis
If I worked for NSA, I'd stand in line to specialize in fucking with Facebook losers. Hell, I'd take a pay cut.
Artemis
Zuckerberg

Had no idea WTF that is, had to look it up, found it under howdy doody hypocrite:
http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/13/technology...zuckerberg-nsa/
Tibro
I have relatives, in-laws to be specific, that recently used SpaceFook for an intercontinental drag out bloodbath. Mother and teenage daughter. Hard to tell which one's which from their posts. I wouldn't have known anything about it, not being a member of the Howdy-Poopie Klub myself. Happens one of the parties is currently lodged in my guest room though. Yeah, it's a right jolly intervention. Why someone would want more information on these people is beyond me. I'm sorry I know as much as I do.
Provenance
QUOTE(pikkle @ Mar 14 2014, 08:45 PM) *
So what the hell, how did this forum get so lame???

Insufficient drinking.
Artemis
Some time ago; it was probably years ago, I created an account at Youtube, in case I ever wanted to post a comment. I never did post one; I never even signed in.
Last week I saw a comment there, inquiring about a guitar tuning, and I knew the answer. I decided to sign in, moreso to see if it still worked than anything else. I wasn't sure I really wanted to make a post. The page shifted immediately to a Google page. WTF has Google to do with Youtube?
As it turns out, everything. My ancient and unused alias had long been in the trashcan, but it gets even better:
http://gigaom.com/2013/11/11/users-outrage...l-names-policy/
So much for ever signing in at Youtube, but no great loss.
The policy itself has clear intentions: take away anonymity, and there’s a possibility that Youtube’s comments will have better moderation. The website is already colloquially known for having some of the worst trolls and comments on the internet at large
frusty.gif
Real names do add a certain value to the Internet, especially for rent-seekers. I mean, how else would anybody know where to send the money?
Provenance
Real Names?
Jaded Prole
All the better for information accumulation and tracking . . .
Grim
Hey pikkle.

Things have gotten pretty lame. A little gasoline, Vaseline, torches and lighters should fix that.
Artemis
That occurred to me when I was musing about whether the conversation about Brut took place here, or a place that wound up incinterated. IPB Image torch.gif w00t2.gif
Hillbilly
I certainly enjoyed reading every bit of the information shared in that conversation. What a vast wealth of knowledge in this place. I'm a smarter man for it.
Kirk
A revolution took place here, I like to think it's alive. For me, it is a last bastion of green men, the few to flower among the mo(u)ld(e), a clumsy attempt at actual community.
It's hard to believe that the people (provisionally) in charge enabled it, allowed it and even encouraged it to be,
sbmac
Well, I'm glad to know you noodle-heads. Thanks to a couple of you for helping me to the next level of understanding the art in the last couple months. You know who you are. Cheers. Looking forward to fine-tuning, and honoring the gift I was given.

Artemis
Although I'm no longer quoting birthday boys and girls for posteriority, sometimes I do retrieve a birthday person's posts strictly for entertainment purposes. Today I found this:
http://www.feeverte.net/forum/index.php?sh...c=3581&st=0
I was perturbed by the ferocity of my response to Absinthesizer, who is one of the few still around (at least I think he is). It occurs to me that sometimes I took the devil's advocate thing too far. It's not that I didn't mean what I was saying on some level, but I had no loyalty to it. I could well have asked myself (probably did), why am I meaning this, and not something else? In any case, today I understand and am in almost complete sympathy with Absinthesizer's post, and to him I apologize for being an asshole lo these many years ago. Better late than never. No, that's not true, sometimes it's better never than late. But whatever.
Absomphe
Admittedly, your posts may have seemed a tad extreme, Artemis, but I think they were quite understandable, given your years of devotion to absinthiana. Besides, Absinthesizer seemed to recover rather quickly, and those haikus certainly did a delightful job of derailing that thread. I kinda miss the fun of those days, sometimes.

Jaded Prole
Those were the daze.

Still, I like his original post -- and Oxy's haiku.

Also what Kirk said. The folks I've met and the community that has formed here (and at the Lounge) has changed my life and given me friends I consider family (better than family).
Artemis
That thread did take a delightful turn (as many did), which is why I was more comfortable bringing it to attention then I otherwise might have been.
given your years of devotion to absinthiana

Yes, but there were previous years when I was devoted to that other stuff he mentioned, too. I don't remember why I was so harsh about it, other than I was fed up with people coming in comparing absinthe to drugs and followed Don Walsh's lead (among others) in deciding that the best way to quash it was to deal with it in the FAQ and not mention it on the board any more, no exceptions tolerated.
Tibro
I drink to get drunk.
Blood for the vampires maybe.
Sap for the greenmen.
Artemis
Tea for the tillerman
Stake for the son
Wine for the women who make the rain come
Tibro
I was dreaming of a steel guitar engagement
When you drunk my health in scented jasmine tea
But you knifed me in my dirty filthy basement
dr_ordinaire
Aware as I am that correlation is not causation, I still believe that the Forum's decline started when Kallisti, misguidedly well intentioned, banned all talk about distillation in the Forum.

Those times are well behind me, but I remember thinking at the time that if members wanted to risk their asses (and assets) they should have been able to. The most epic fights (not always fair and proper) in this Forum were about the noble art of (thanks Artemis for the word) hausgemachting.
Kirk
I think it happened when we met, became socialized, there was freedom in the air in the early days of the internets, we spoke without fear of hurting anyone, including ourselves, now that we are all over socialized by the ubiquitous high speed, what we say to each other seems to matter more so we
say nothing.
Artemis
I might have popularized that word, but it's a legitimate German word for home made. I first saw it used by German Andy in an on-line review (in German) he had published of a lavender absinthe made by the Nephilim. I started using the word immediately. Head Prosthesis changed it to Hogsmack, and shortened it to HG.
The HG discussion ban came about after Kallisti was made aware of an "interview" with Treasury agents to which Ted had been "invited", wherein it was mentioned that this forum was a regular source of entertainment for the men in suits. I guess there's no harm in revealing at this point that HG discussion didn't disappear; it just moved to a secret venue, open by invitation only. The venue changed several times over the course of many years and was eventually burned to the ground from within (see my previous post about making enemies through honesty). Several other venues also arose for that sort of thing, which is why it wasn't missed here by insiders and why suggestions for reviving it here and/or complaints about it being gone were ignored.
It seems to me that the most epic fights arose from political discussion, and people pretending knowledge they didn't have (about absinthe and many other things) and refusing to back down when called out. Getting personal in both cases and in many others fueled the fire. Being creative at getting personal was part of the blood sport relished by the spectators.
And 100% ditto to Kirk.
thegreenimp
It's Facebook's fault. vagina.gif
Artemis
I think Facebook and ennui had more to do with the dissolution of the forum than any HG issue.
People lost interest in the HG forums as well. It reached a point where the members knew enough to get by, and the few who knew more (due to experience outside the group) had interests to protect (i.e. went commercial) and became reluctant to share. Promoting the art to unknown noobs was never in the best interest of anybody. It was always fun when whiners on the open board insulted a member in the vein of "who the fuck are you to be talking down to me, you're just another pompous Fee Verte ass with a credit card", unaware that they were addressing one of the best makers in the world at the time.
OCvertDe
I always did find that humorous. Happened a lot less after I joined, but the years I lurked were filled with mirth.

I always assumed HG stood for "Home Grown". Huh.
Artemis
Might as well; it has exactly the same connotation, for me anyway. I'm not sure about the Germans but I think it's the same for them.
Bruno Rygseck
This forum has been a wonderful community, and it still is. The Buyer's guide doesn't get too many new reviews, though. But it is somewhat compensated by the What are you drinking now -thread.
Artemis
Drink it or sink it killed the buyer's guide, not that this is a bad thing.
OCvertDe
Agreed. I was tossing between here and WWS when I joined. As I tend to like the simplicity of tossing all my eggs in the same basket, it was a decision to be made not a collection to bookmark. I chose to plant roots here for the very reasons many have complained: the lack of cuddling, coddling, dick holding or censorship. By censorship, I'm obviously not referring to the taboo of discussing HG, but more so the idea that childish behavior deserves the stick, not the carrot to correct itself. I knew I could be reasonably confident where I stood here, because nobody was obligated to play nice if they didn't want to. In an internet positively inundated with family friendly political correctness, it was refreshing. Still is, just… in smaller doses. Oh well. I don't have time for a busy forum anyway.
dr_ordinaire
Yes, even without a ban on HG discussion, the legalization of absinthe and the availability of excellent commercial ones removed two big incentives for home distillation.
Greytail
I joined for the free beer.
Absomphe
Me too.

Butt it was the ol' Bater 'n switch and all we got was a bunch of yeasty pink pics. vagina.gif
Artemis
I remember a brewpub in Omaha called Sharkys (Sharkeys?). They had sharks in glass tanks.
There was a sign behind the bar - "Free Beer Tomorrow". I admit I had to think about it for a moment.
IPB Image
You'll get nothing and like it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.