Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which crimes gain attention?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
Provenance
Some crimes attract massive publicity and others receive relatively little attention.

Why?
Artemis
You know why.
Artemis
No doubt the question was rhetorical.
Tony Bourdain has a new TV show. Instead of visiting foreign countries to eat and drink, he just visits, but still eats and drinks. The last show I saw (part of it, anyway), he was in Mexico, talking to a man whose job it is to take pictures of people killed by or as a result of the drug cartels. That guy stays busy, all day, every day.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1405/04/abpu.02.html
Provenance
QUOTE(Artemis @ May 12 2014, 1:17 PM) *
No doubt the question was rhetorical.

Of course.
Hillbilly
Parts Unknown. I like that show, from the first two episodes I've seen on netflix. It's all
about the places and the people. Myanmar and Columbia. Not exactly tourist destinations.

And I take it the answers are it's only talked about if there is either political or economic gain to be had. And something about the loudest voice in the room, right or wrong being the one listened to?
Kirk
I saw a booth at the flea market last weekend, they were selling all types of rebel battle flags and accessories;
T-shirts that said "redneck and proud of it". I asked if they had any that said "ignorant redneck" on it but no.
I'm surprised the Southern politicians and activists have not figured out how to extort money from the Fed over this, are they not still fighting a terrorist war, held at bay only by bribe money?
South Carolina is so "hip" for taking the defeated flag down from the capital grounds. cdog-plain.gif
Hillbilly
Seems people get more vocally upset over a lion killing these days, than they do over unwarranted death by cop.
OCvertDe
Unwarranted death by a cop is just the natural order of things, and while frowned upon, is still completely normal and to be expected.
Butt a lion killing? By an American dentist?! Inconceivable!
G&C
… and the people fiddle whilst Rome burns…
OCvertDe
"Violin".
Hillbilly
QUOTE(G&C @ Aug 2 2015, 10:32 AM) *

… and the people fiddle whilst Rome burns…

As it always must be, for Rome can have no other destiny.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.