Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Jade Terminus Oxygénée Absinthe Supérieure
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Marc
It's been a long time since Ted released a new Jade absinthe, the last one was the PF1901 back in 2006.
Here is the new one:

IPB Image

http://www.vintageabsinthe.com/Oxy.htm#

Will post a quick review next week.
OCvertDe
I just got an email about this this morning. I'm quite interested, more than I have been about any new absinthe in recent memory.
Provenance
If the girl on the label isn't showing her tits, I'm not drinking it.
Tibro
Did anyone get to try the rotovap prototype?
Maldoror
Great news abs-cheers.gif
Jack Batemaster
IPB Image
Artemis
Would be nice if Marc had remarked here and not just there, but he didn't, so I translate:

I could not help opening the bottle and smelling the contents in a glass. It has promise! Right away I smell very good wine alcohol, gourmet green anise, grand wormwood and hyssop.
It is a bit more oily than I would like, but this promises a nice roundness in the mouth.

Someone questioned the oxygenation aspect, and someone answered that the process is supposed to accelerate aging and consequently maturation.

And then Marc said:

And that is exactly what took place in this Jade, it is impressive, like drinking an already well-aged absinthe, .... but this is my favorite Jade ... a little bomb in the mouth, a wise mixture of aged wine alcohol and plants perfectly blended with each other. Hats off to the artist, I could not hope for better.

Jack Batemaster
IPB Image
OCvertDe
Wonder when it's going to be available somewhere other than absinthede…
Jack Batemaster
IPB Image
Artemis
Someone did make a remark about having to get it from France by way of Germany, and that's more than I'm willing to do for sure.
OCvertDe
Indeed. 40 euros shipping? I don't think so. They're not the only Jade distributor though, so I have hopes that it'll get out to the others eventually.

QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ Dec 1 2014, 06:33 PM) *

IPB Image

This is exactly how I'm going to picture you now. All the time.
Absomphe
Creepy.
Hillbilly
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Dec 1 2014, 04:32 PM) *

My understanding is Luc Santiago is expecting to have it in his shop late this week. Just so happens my brother in law is gonna be in that city next week for his honeymoon. He made the mistake of asking if I wanted anything while he was there. I threw the Jade Terminus and detailed directions to the shop to him. Whether he will, or not, is most likely up to his new bride.
Tibro
This is exactly how I'm going to picture you now. All the time.

Funny, I picture him looking more Belgicaner.
Tibro
… a little bomb in the mouth

That must sound better in French.

Being the language of love and all.

The oral explosion resulting in small expiration, no doubt.
Jaded Prole
QUOTE(Artemis @ Dec 1 2014, 04:36 PM) *

Would be nice if Marc had remarked here and not just there, but he didn't, so I translate:

I could not help opening the bottle and smelling the contents in a glass. It has promise! Right away I smell very good wine alcohol, gourmet green anise, grand wormwood and hyssop.
It is a bit more oily than I would like, but this promises a nice roundness in the mouth.

Someone questioned the oxygenation aspect, and someone answered that the process is supposed to accelerate aging and consequently maturation.

And then Marc said:

And that is exactly what took place in this Jade, it is impressive, like drinking an already well-aged absinthe, …. but this is my favorite Jade … a little bomb in the mouth, a wise mixture of aged wine alcohol and plants perfectly blended with each other. Hats off to the artist, I could not hope for better.

Though oxygenation may accelerate aging in the short run, I suspect it will further erode the quality of botanical oils making it undrinkable in the longer run.
Marc
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Dec 1 2014, 11:32 PM) *

It's available on absinthes.com now: http://www.absinthes.com/product_info.php?products_id=1138

They have included my review in the product's description but here it is again:

Color: yellow-gold with olive shades. No sediment.

Aroma (before water): room filling and inviting. Aged wine spirit (eau de vie) plays the support to a lush green anise and a flowery wormwood. One of the best aromas I’ve ever experienced from a modern absinthe.

Louche: Lovely. Stormy clouds are dancing in the glass (I used a glass dripper/brouilleur).

Aroma (after water): a mix of fresh and flowery herbs with notes of alpine and minty wormwood surrounded by a rich anise.

Taste: the creamy and lush anise is supported by a fantastic “vintage” eau de vie (the best I’ve ever tasted in a Jade and in any modern absinthe) and a bouquet of effervescent herbs perfectly mixing together without any favoritism for one or the other. The flavors stay quite a long time in mouth - especially the anise and the wormwood - with various notes following each others, it can be fruity, or minty, or punchy, or flowery, or spicy, a real festival for the taste buds!

Conclusion: Let's not beat about the bush: this Jade Terminus is now my favorite “verte”, no question. It’s a firework in the nose and in the mouth, it’s like tasting a very good pre-ban absinthe mixed with the freshness and the punch of a very good modern absinthe; you get both for the same price and that’s what my absinthe cabinet has always been looking for.

Provenance
Does it have that odd camphor/Indian fennel thing going that the preban Oxygénée had?
Jaded Prole
Probably not (yet) but only time will tell. It sounds great but, for scientific purposes, some should be held for a few years to see how the oxygenation affects aging.
Tibro
stimulating aftertaste that recalls the medicinal origins of the spirit.

The preban Oxygenee was troublesome for its medicinal finish.
Provenance
Then a modern Oxygénée clone should do the same.
Artemis
QUOTE(Tibro @ Dec 2 2014, 07:49 AM) *
… a little bomb in the mouth

That must sound better in French.

Being the language of love and all.

The oral explosion resulting in small expiration, no doubt.

une petite bombe en bouche

I'm not sure the word for word translation captures whatever he meant, but they have adopted "anise bomb", "wormwood bomb" etc. to mean exactly what we mean here. Still, I admit I don't know what he meant; could well be what you said.
Artemis
QUOTE(Provenance @ Dec 2 2014, 03:59 PM) *
Does it have that odd camphor/Indian fennel thing going that the preban Oxygénée had?

Powerful camphor in that preban Oxygénée, undrinkable. The smell would have knocked moths off the ceiling, had we had any. It made me wonder about the oxygenation connection for sure. Hard to believe they would have used shitty fennel; surely they knew better.
Jack Batemaster
IPB Image
Oxygenee
A bombe is also a French dessert, typically with layers of different flavoured ice cream one inside the other - so in the context of absinthe it might signify an impressively varied herbal taste profile on the mouth.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Marc @ Dec 2 2014, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Dec 1 2014, 11:32 PM) *

It's available on absinthes.com now: http://www.absinthes.com/product_info.php?products_id=1138

Now we just need another Belle Amie or two so I can hit that free shipping point…
Hillbilly
They also have the 'unburnt' (or is it pre burnt?) Jade base available.

http://www.absinthes.com/product_info.php?products_id=1139
Absomphe
I'll bet it's still inexplicably (at least slightly) scorched.
OCvertDe
Huh.
G&C
Thanks!
I needed a laugh.
Tibro
IPB Image
Jack Batemaster
IPB Image
Marc
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 2 2014, 11:29 PM) *

A bombe is also a French dessert, typically with layers of different flavoured ice cream one inside the other - so in the context of absinthe it might signify an impressively varied herbal taste profile on the mouth.

Almost.
We use the word "bombe" quite often in France and it has different meanings (ex: amazing event/situation/woman). In this case it simply means "an explosion of various flavors in mouth".

And no, no camphor or scorched taste. It's perfect (at least for me) and I stand by my opinion and review, this is the best verte I've ever tasted (French/Swiss/US HG included).
Jack Batemaster
IPB Image
Provenance
While I can easily can why you prefer an absinthe without the camphor, I'm not sure how an absinthe can claim to be a Oxygénée clone while lacking the original's most distinctive, if least pleasent, attribute.
Artemis
While I can easily can why you prefer an absinthe without the camphor

A canned response?

Maybe it will get camphory with time. Maybe the vintage Oxygenee did so - they didn't expect anybody to keep it for very long before drinking it. Maybe Ted has reverse engineered the process harhar.gif , improved it so that it doesn't create undesirable effects, or applied it with a lighter hand than they did. Lots of possibilities.
Marc
Who claimed that it's an Oxygénée Cusenier clone?
It's only the oxygenation process that has been reproduced, not the absinthe.
Jack Batemaster
IPB Image
Artemis
I don't think anybody is claiming that it's a clone, but it's reasonable for people to assume that it could be, or could be intended to be, given Ted's claims about previous products, and the fact the word "Oxygenee" is on the label.
I think people are raising questions about the effects of oxygenation, which are also reasonable, given what we know or think we know about the process.
Marc
We got it Jack, over the last 3 pages. Move on gamin (a French word for you).
Artemis
http://basilemanga.footblog.fr/125759/gamin/
Marc
QUOTE(Artemis @ Dec 3 2014, 08:41 PM) *

and the fact the word "Oxygenee" is on the label.

"oxygénée" was on many labels back then, or "ozonée", but you're right, I can easily understand the confusion because Cusenier was the most famous distillery using this technique.

I think people are raising questions about the effects of oxygenation, which are also reasonable, given what we know or think we know about the process.

"or think we know". Nobody here has ever reproduced this large-scale process as far as I know. I'm not Ted's representative but he is the only one who did it.
Tibro
Use of the word "clone" seems to have been totally scrubbed from the Jade website. Nevertheless, Ted's "historically accurate recreations" all have accompanying copy that is more or less suggestive of the idea. For Terminus one finds the vague, but leading phrase…
created as homage to one of the most interesting absinthes of the fabled Belle Époque.

But it's unclear exactly which one specifically. My assumption would be Cusenier. And my reaction to that assumption is… I need more data points pointing away from my own experience tasting preban Cusenier before I would ever want to taste this one.

This place is so… educational and informative.

Who'd need go anywhere else?
Jack Batemaster
IPB Image
Artemis
QUOTE(Marc @ Dec 3 2014, 08:04 PM) *
QUOTE(Artemis @ Dec 3 2014, 08:41 PM) *

and the fact the word "Oxygenee" is on the label.

"oxygénée" was on many labels back then, or "ozonée", but you're right, I can easily understand the confusion because Cusenier was the most famous distillery using this technique.

"or think we know". Nobody here has ever reproduced this large-scale process as far as I know. I'm not Ted's representative but he is the only one who did it.

Yes, that's why I said "think we know". I'm not sure anybody knows. Personally, I wouldn't compare any recently made absinthe to a 100-year old absinthe. It's almost apples and oranges. And I'm more willing to give Ted the benefit of the doubt than are a lot of people. But now or 100 years ago, reasonable people are bound to wonder if oxygenation is of real benefit, or just a gimmick, apart from involvement by Ted or anyone else.
Oxygenee
What makes anyone think Ted's absinthe is in any way intended to replicate Cuseniers Absinthe Oxygenee? Who gave you this idea?

It's intended - exactly as it says on the label - to replicate an oxygenated version of Absinthe TERMINUS. A completely different brand, and entirely unrelated to the Cusenier company.

There were many different brands of absinthe oxygenee. The oxygenation process was simply a form of accelerated ageing, introduced probably for reasons of cost and cashflow management, but also then opportunistically marketed as having health benefits, due to the then prevailing belief that exposure to ozone was particularly good for you.
Provenance
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 3 2014, 02:13 PM) *

What makes anyone think Ted's absinthe is in any way intended to replicate Cuseniers Absinthe Oxygenee? Who gave you this idea?

Perhaps my mistake. I did assume that (1) based on Jade's (for 1901) emphasis on "carefully reverse engineered from sealed antique bottles," (2) Jade Terminus Oxygénée's use of a famous preban name, and (3) Jade Terminus Oxygénée's emphasis on "years of historical sleuthing, botanical research, and patience" that perhaps the product was intended to be a clone.
Provenance
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 3 2014, 02:13 PM) *
It's intended - exactly as it says on the label - to replicate an oxygenated version of Absinthe TERMINUS. A completely different brand, and entirely unrelated to the Cusenier company.

Interesting. That hadn't ocurred to me as I was unware of other preban labels prominently using the word Oxygénée. Live and learn.
Provenance
QUOTE(Artemis @ Dec 3 2014, 11:14 AM) *
Maybe it will get camphory with time. Maybe the vintage Oxygenee did so - they didn't expect anybody to keep it for very long before drinking it.

Maybe but I doubt it. Maybe it's because the vintage Oxygenee camphor tasted exactly like Indian fennel that I assumed it was the fennel at fault rather than it being an unforseen long-term consequence of oxygenation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.