Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mt. Rushmore wouldn't be the same without you…
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Cake Hole
Absomphe
It's your birthday, BR TR, and I say, BULLY! LARS!.gif Cake.gif
Artemis
So that's why there was a documentary on TV about Teddy.
Learned some things.
When he was a young man, his wife and his mother died on the same day! That sucks.
So he moved to Montana, to become a mental toss flycoon.
He would say things to the cowboys who worked for him such as "Move up expeditiously there, make haste!"
Someone called him "four-eyes" in a saloon and Teddy, no Rocky Raccoon, knocked him cold with one punch.
He went out of office thinking he hadn't accomplished enough.
He did more than the last four Presidents put together.

Also, a locally-produced documentary about the Battle of New Orleans that I watched last night in lieu of Keanu Reeves, the stoned samurai.
It was the 200th anniversary of the battle a day or five ago.
Learned some things.
Although largely considered a minor event in the annals of warfare, it was that battle that secured the independence America had asserted on July 4th some years previously, and for a long time the day was celebrated nationally just like July 4th. The British, having done a lot of damage along the east coast but not having secured total victory, didn't consider the war of 1812 over. They decided to do it the easy way, turn their attention to New Orleans, capture it, and lock up the entire western half of the country by controlling the Mississippi River.
When the coonskin men from Kentucky and Tennessee arrived to do their part, they had no clothing suitable for the wet and cold winter of Louisiana, so the nuns and other women of New Orleans made it for them. In a week, they turned out hundreds of coats, pants, shoes, etc.
Andrew Jackson's ragtag crew of French, Spanish, Choctaw, free men of color, hilltoppers, newly minted Americans of all stripes, dug in the rain and lightning to throw up a breastwork seven miles below New Orleans, and there Jean Lafitte placed his artillery.
The redcoats came out of the fog rum-a-tum-tum and "I fart in your general direction!" said Old Hickory, who himself suffered from dysentery, looked like a ghost, and could barely stay on his horse.
After an hour or so of smoke and noise, 2000 British casualties on the field, a recently harvested sugar cane field. Less than a hundred on our side.
Teddy and Andy, we hardly knew ya. Wish you were here.
G&C
Indeed!
Absomphe

chickawow.gif

QUOTE(Artemis @ Jan 13 2015, 03:19 PM) *

So that's why there was a documentary on TV about Teddy.

Well, actually Teddy's birthday is Oct. 27th and it's BrSpiritus's birthday today, but he is FV's living representation of TR, so…
Artemis
I did wonder how Teddy made into the cake hole. I remember Bro Spiritus, but never had a clue as to his appearance.
Thank you fa lettin me be mice elf, again.
Artemis
Oh, and Andy had already had a bullet in his shoulder when get got to New Orleans.
From a duel.
Tibro
the coonskin men from Kentucky and Tennessee arrived to do their part, they had no clothing suitable for the wet and cold winter of Louisiana

WTF?

I suppose they should have called on patriots from further north, who would likely also have been dressed inappropriately but would have required only half the time and material for shorts to insure their comfort. Really, that detail hardly matches up with the rest of the yarn. But then, I have little comprehension of the mindset in places where snow is thought of as a catastrophic event in itself.
Artemis
I'll bite. I have nothing else to do, except talk my family out of moving to Nebraska.

Daniel Boone was a man
Yes a biggggggggg man
But the bear was bigger
So he ran like a n - - - - - through the woods

Have I channeled my inner third grader to your satisfaction? My third grader just possibly gives less of a shit about anything or anybody than some others you may have encountered. If it's funny, don't bitch. If you don't find it funny, that's your problem, not mine. Does it OFFEND you? FUCK you, old lady!

The reason the people from Kentucky and Tennessee were poorly clothed wasn't because winter in Louisiana is colder than in those places (it's not, although it's wetter). It's because they left in such a hurry and had such a long way to go in very little time that they took nothing with them but their weapons. The clothes they were wearing (all the clothing they had) were in a bad state when they got to New Orleans. No asphalt back then - getting from Tennessee to New Orleans involved going through the woods. If you've ever fought your way through a stand of cat briar, you get the picture. The part about the wet cold winter of Louisiana was almost verbatim from the script of the TV show. Maybe I should have mollified it or explained it instead of just letting it stand. When I first heard that part, I said WTF too - until I thought about it. The script had a strong dose of homerism in it - people in Louisiana like to think winter is dreary here. They've never been to Minnesota. But I think that what they intended to convey is that if the men from the hills thought a set of torn up clothes would be good enough to withstand a Louisiana winter (it's farther south, right?), they were mistaken.

The focus of the story was the women of New Orleans, particularly the Ursulines, who had a convent in the French Quarter (it's still there, but no longer a convent). It was they who organized and led the clothing effort in town. They also evacuated the girls, having heard that the British commander had promised his men all they could rape when they got to town.

The story was told with more than a little homerism. They said the British had 4000 casualties and the Americans less than 20. But I looked it up and it seems that while less than 20 Americans were killed, wounded and missing brought the total close to 100. And the 4000 includes wounded and missing as well.

After the battle, the Ursulines doctored the wounded, including the British. They had originally been sent to New Orleans by the King of France to establish a hospital. The British commander was sent home in a barrel of rum. Educating girls was originally a sideline for the sisters. Supposedly they accepted girls regardless of race or social status. The story also involves the Lady of Prompt Succor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Prompt_Succor
Absomphe
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jan 13 2015, 09:55 PM) *

But then, I have little comprehension of the mindset in places where snow is thought of as a catastrophic event in itself.

Indeed.

Well, maybe the Blizzard of '77, but even that seemed more like an adventure, at the time.
Artemis
Snow in New Orleans IS a catastrophic event for those unfortunates who have to operate an automobile during or after it. The machines, manpower, and materials required to maintain a road under such conditions are almost non-existent in southern Louisiana. And most of the drivers have no clue as to how to adapt their behavior, which isn't admirable even under the best conditions, to an icy road. Even in Michigan and Minnesota, where you would think they'd know better, on the first day of heavy snow the ditches were always filled with the vehicles of morons who thought it was okay to drive the same way they had the day before. It's like they forget what their own winter is like over the course of a year.
The roads up there never bothered me and my Subaru much on such days; it was those people who represented the real hazard. It gave me great satisfaction to have some asshole pass me in his pick em up truck (the magic armor of manly men everywhere - just watch the TV commercials if you don't believe it) throwing snow on my windshield, and see him again, firmly in the ditch, a mile down the road.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.