Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How does a Surly Bastard
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
Artemis
http://artifexinopere.com/?p=4021
Bruno Rygseck
Because he is a magician: he can make water go uphill in the neck of his carafe (Les buveurs, 1908) and make the stream disappear before it touches the drink. His presence can also invert the reflection of the word BAR in the mirror (as noted in the comments, if I understood it correctly).

L'Assommoir
Béraud takes the ladies to cafes with Biiiig absinthe glasses
size matters.
Artemis
Indeed.
To clarify, I was talking about the guy wearing the derby and smoking a cigarette, looking pissed off.
At first all I saw was two paintings (at the French forum), and I made a remark about him being with different beautiful women in those two.
Then I followed the link, saw a lot more paintings with him in them and realized he wasn't limited to two women! Some of the paintings show him with (apparently) the same woman, though.
L'Assommoir
QUOTE(Artemis @ Mar 8 2015, 06:53 PM) *

To clarify, I was talking about the guy wearing the derby and smoking a cigarette, looking pissed off.

Ah,
All these years I thought the the fellow in the derby at the cafe WAS Jean Béraud.
Artemis
I couldn't have said it's not him, having never heard of him until I saw the thread over there.
Having looked it up now though, here's his self-portrait:
Click to view attachment
A bit of a dandy, maybe even a fop.
If I understand the text correctly, having skimmed over it now (didn't before - too many words) - the guy in the derby is supposed to be a pimp. That hadn't occurred to me, either.
His presence can also invert the reflection of the word BAR in the mirror (as noted in the comments, if I understood it correctly).

You did. It should be reversed. If the reflection is of the word painted on the outside of a window (to be seen from the street), then the mirror would be reversing the inside of the window, in which case the painting would be correct.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.