Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Man, the landscape here really changed.
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Conju
So what exactly happened? Did Hiram and the LL just end up heading H_P's lunch?

I read through about a dozen threads but clues are scarce….

This place is a freaking ghost town…
Absomphe
And you've pretty much been a ghost for nearly a decade, so I think you've found your ideal new home away from home, Bruddah! Zombie3.gif
The Standard Deviant
The digital landscape has changed, and almost all forums are less busy than ten years ago.

I think Facebook has a lot to answer for.

And something else will replace Facebook in years to come.
Jaded Prole
phaise buk blink.gif

I prefer anti-social media.
Kirk
It's true that this place was rocking. I like backwaters though and we were at our worse when the place was hip to be bad. Not sure what Conju is saying though, so at least that hasn't changed.
Nobody needs a thing.
Grim
I don't even use Facebook. But I also haven't been spending much time outside of my own research.
OCvertDe
I'm still managing to be FB free. Somehow, despite all the peer pressure.
Kirk
Grimmy!
What's shaking daddyo?
Hillbilly
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ May 26 2016, 07:20 PM) *

I'm still managing to be FB free. Somehow, despite all the peer pressure.

There's a lot of stuff going on in the absinthe world on there. I know some folks see it as a major invasion of your privacy, but pretty much everything about you is already known today anyway.
Jaded Prole
Facebook is really invasive and tracks you even when your aren't on it. It tracks your email. It is tacking you here. I got a Privacy badger that allows me to block it -- and I don't even do facebook.

It's creepy and annoying.
Hillbilly
But, does that even matter if they're tracking you? What's the worst that could come of it? Other than advertisments sent to you based on sites you visit?
Doesn't just owning and carrying a mobile/smart phone do the same thing?
Jaded Prole
I don't have or want a "smart phone." I don't want companies or governments tracking everywhere I go, everyone I know, every thing I buy and everything I read. I also have an ad blocker and use proxy searches. I dump my history every time I sign off. I do a lot of research on many things and get information from many sources. It's not paranoia so much as knowledge and a desire for privacy, or at least the illusion of it and the satisfaction of making the snoops work harder.
Hillbilly
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."
Kirk
It's surprising how simple it can be to dupe the snoopers, if you care to.
Kirk
But let's face it,
what do us boring fucks have to hide
We're an open, mouldy book.
or is that m o l d y ?
OCvertDe
Either way, I'm sure.
dr_ordinaire
Yep, things were more lively when talk about distillation (we were so young and foolish…) was allowed. I never understood Kallisti's ban on Hausgemacht, but it was her playground.

She was being too much of a Jewish momma, there was no risk in posting about distilling, but… that's the way it went.

I kinda miss "200 lbs of rock and roll" threatening to beat me to a pulp for insulting the resident absinthe god.
Jaded Prole
Maybe not for you but here in the US home distillation is a crime and the Feds were watching.

Few here would break the law and fewer are foolish enough to say so on a public forum.
G&C
They could not give a rats ass less about anyone distilling in the basement…

As long as you're not operating a 500 gallon pot still and selling off the liquor at $100.00/Gal without giving them THEIR share of the gross, you and they will never know the other are there..
G&C
That said, I wouldn't talk about it in public, if it were me.
Jaded Prole
Indeed™
bob_chong
^^what he said.
Jaded Prole
83 "guests"! Amazing how many people cum here yet no one posts.

Like phantom tourists in a ghost town.
OCvertDe
Holly shite!
Tibro
IPB Image
Flasheart
I've just come back to the forums after a LONG absence. Not that I was ever a huge contributor.
OCvertDe
I heard a rumor you might be back to contribute some glasses.
Provenance
???
IPB Image
OCvertDe
Sure, why not?
Hillbilly
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later than night, you were lying, looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself, "Why is it that the Landscape is moving, but the boat is still?"
Flasheart
The glassblower I met with before has continued making glasses this whole time. People keep buying them not knowing or caring they're absinthe glasses, or at least modeled after absinthe glasses. I have posted some pictures or his newest glass which he showed me a few weeks ago. The links are in the Absinthinia and Collectables section of the forum. Easy to find, it's the newest comment :)
Greytail
Nice. I will check that out.
In the meantime. I have another bottle of Sweet Baby Jesus for tonight.
Head_prosthesis
Click to view attachment
Greytail
Whoah
Jaded Prole
I'll have a hit of that.

Kirk
Adopt that at the dog shelter?
Head_prosthesis
It's not a no-kill shelter. That mutt wouldn't have lasted very long.
Kirk
So you voted, and the eyes had it.
Jaded Prole
Who let the dogs out?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.