Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pens, Sealing Wax and Ink
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Mr. Creepy's Art Hole
BrSpiritus
Does anyone besides me revel in the simplicity of writing a letter? Especially if done with a dip pen and inkwell. Of course you can't use sealing wax anymore, the high speed mail sorters destry the wax seal. Ah what cost progress...

Here is my collection:
Kallisti
we didn't use pen & ink (often) but one the sepulchritude editor's early projects was a looooooooong series of Dangerous Liaisons style letter writing.

And yes, we used parchement and sealing wax. Most of the seals made it through the mail, but this was 91-95 perhaps?

I have a large drawer full of the damn things.
Kirk
I don't have the patience. My daughter has picked it up though and does all her correspondence and labeling in calligraphy.
Here is a nice piece I found at a yardsale, probably from the turn of the century , when every one had to learn how to control a pen as part of a basic public school education. This example was probably a test paper by a young student.
thegreenimp
Many years ago I used to draw in pen & ink, and I have a box of holders and nibs somewhere.........Maybe someday again.
BrSpiritus
QUOTE (Kirk @ Feb 19 2004, 11:32 AM)
I don't have the patience. My daughter has picked it up though and does all her correspondence and labeling in calligraphy.
Here is a nice piece I found at a yardsale, probably from the turn of the century , when every one had to learn how to control a pen as part of a basic public school education. This example was probably a test paper by a young student.

That's a good example of copperplate graphic. You need special nibs to do the work like that, which I don't have any as they are rare and expensive. I don't get to write letters anymore since my grandmother passed on so my pens are sitting in a box. I do keep my ledger writing with them but that's it.
Kirk
I have never heard that name before. I have seen some museum pieces that were eagles and lettering. Are all calligraphy pieces of this style called copper plate graphic? The only thing I knew about them is that it was common for people to do this style of drawing combined with lettering to develop their writing skills.
Gertz
Don't write with it.

Like to draw with it, though. Have quite a selection of pens and nibs for that purpose.
Artemis
Who did the crochet work under the pens?
BrSpiritus
QUOTE (Artemis @ Feb 19 2004, 08:24 PM)
Who did the crochet work under the pens?

My Hungarian Great-Grandmother. The only thing of hers I have anymore.
Maturin
QUOTE (BrSpiritus @ Feb 19 2004, 07:56 AM)
Of course you can't use sealing wax anymore, the high speed mail sorters destroy the wax seal.  Ah what cost progress...

You could put the letter in a mailer envelope then the wax seal would remain intact. That would probably be better anyways as it would be a shame if so artfully decorated an envelope was mangled by the sorters.
chaz
QUOTE (Kirk @ Feb 19 2004, 03:01 PM)
I have never heard that name before. I have seen some museum pieces that were  eagles and lettering. Are all calligraphy pieces  of this style called copper plate graphic? The only thing I knew about them is that it was common for people to do this style of drawing combined with lettering to develop their writing skills.

i'm in the process of sorting my old university texts.. if i find them, i'll post some book references as to calligraphy. there's an entire history right there, with the language of the written letter and type.

one can get the whole sense of the napoleonanic empire by looking at Bodoni and Diderot.

the problem with sealing wax.. is making sure you get an even burn, best done using a candle (gives off the softest and most even type of heat).. when the wax starts to blacken too quickly, it just looks bad as it drips and cools.

getting a seal that will release quick enough as well to leave a decent impression also is a painstaking task (finding ones that are made of quality metal).

one of the biggest pains in the ass is finding good enough paper. and if one is a stationary whore, it's too much of a temptation to be around hundreds of paper samples.

the best calligraphy i've done has been a result of making my own pens.. by taking fragmitis and cutting quills. by varying the width of the "nib" and the angle of its tip, this will vary the type of line produce when properly held. this becomes important when you are trying to make era specific characters - dating pre-carolingian to uncial to gothic (italian vs. german) to the birth of movable type, and so on.
traineraz
if one is a stationary whore, it's too much of a temptation

I hope you mean a stationery whore.

Otherwise, you'd be one boring lay, what with the not moving and all. Not much temptation at all.

[Just beating Sixer to it and giving you a kinder, gentler tweak in the ear!]
chaz
QUOTE (traineraz @ Dec 2 2004, 08:22 PM)
I hope you mean a stationery whore.

i dunno. i think that requires a special chair. or maybe the right kind of knots employed. this is where finding a boy scout can be pretty exciting. dev.gif

nerd up!
user posted image
traineraz
Absomphe, please insert Mr. Clappyhands. w00t2.gif
Hiram
May I?

user posted image

Woohoo. More poofters. Be still my heart.

There goes the neighborhood
traineraz
QUOTE (Hiram @ Dec 2 2004, 10:56 PM)
There goes the neighborhood

That's what the people in trailers said during the 2003 Catalina floods . . .
sevenscarabs
Quite a lovely collection, BrSpiritus, you are a man after my own heart. I, too have an obsession with writing implements. My collection includes several antique inkwells, pens and seals, but I do not use them for fear of damage. I have a modern set I use on a normal basis. I rarely write letters anymore, so when I do, I try to make them special. There is something romantic about writing with old style pen and ink.

Most of your collection appears to be antique. What is your oldest piece, if you know?
grims
YES YES!!!

Just yesterday I was writing my Christmas cards in a nice glass nip and fresh black ink. I was going to seal them all in red wax, but thanks for the tip of the modern day world of mail sorters, I almost forgot!

It had been a long time since I had used pen and ink (I use to use it for artwork) and I loved just sitting there dipping away!
Kirk
Same here ,
'cept with an r right after the d in dipping.
chaz
Art of Calligraphy - by David Harris

this provides an excellent history, as well as a good review of tools, technique and practice.
toulouse
QUOTE(BrSpiritus @ Feb 19 2004, 11:56 AM) *

Of course you can't use sealing wax anymore, the high speed mail sorters destry the wax seal.

You can actually send with wax. It does have a draw back. Simply write "HAND CANCEL" in big letters across the front of the envelope. And you must hand it to someone, don't just drop it in the mailbox. And tell them that it must be "hand cancelled" to be safe. This way they will process it by hand and not through a machine.

And there is wax that is flexible enough to be sent through the mail this way. I have done it. US mail at least.

Your humble servant,
toulouse
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.