Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone hear anything about this new book?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
sepia5
The other day at work (I work part time at a bookstore) I was bored and came across this title which is set to be released today, March 1.

Hideous Absinthe: A Story of the Devil in a Dottle.

Author: Jad Adams

Publisher: University of Wisconsin Press

Interestingly enough, our computer says the book is to be shelved in the Literary Theory section, leading me to wonder about it's content. Maybe an examination of writers, poets, and playrights who drank absinthe, or a study on the use of absinthe in story telling? Who knows. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any info on it.
hartsmar
If I'm not entirely mistaken here, there should be another thread in here somewhere on that. I know I've been to the Univ. of Wisc. looking for it before...

Do a search for it...
Absomphe
I just did a search and came up empty. Perhaps the title is slightly off?
hartsmar
Sorry, it was in at the LouchedLounge...
Here's the link about the book:

http://www.wisc.edu/wisconsinpress/books/3747.htm
Absomphe
Thanks for the link...I guess it won't be out til April, but it sounds like a fun read.
Maldoror
I have the "British version" of the book and I have been eyeing it a bit and the historical part seems interesting. But the modern day information is very outdated...
hartsmar
Do you know if there's any difference in the two books, the Wisonsin edition and the "regular/british" edition?
Artemis
In Britain, they call a "dottle" a "bottle".
Maldoror
No, I don´t. But I guess there isn´t much difference...

Absomphe
In Britain, they call a "dottle" a "bottle".

In the U.S. they call it a typo.

Or a really egregious spelling error.
verbal_kraze
"I'm sorry to tell you but that book is for Gays"
-Sylvester Stalone
Deluge
I am always up for another book on Abisinthe!
Absomphe
w00t2.gif w00t2.gif w00t2.gif w00t2.gif w00t2.gif
Deluge
Oh Man!
Gertz
QUOTE (sepia5 @ Mar 1 2004, 06:05 PM)
Hideous Absinthe: A Story of the Devil in a Dottle.

I read a review of it by someone who described himself as some kind of an absinthe expert, because he some years ago had flamed some czech stuff that a friend of his had brought home, and then they went off to start importing Hill's to Britain.

He claimed to have learned a lot from that book. He didn't specify what exactly he learned.
I_B_Puffin
Doesn't sound like it's worth reading.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.