Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: : Bram stokers dracula :
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
Pages: 1, 2
*Scarling*
Greetings all..

Just been watching dracula (Bram stokers)
On the 14th chapter (dvd) features an absinthe sceen,

just wondering if anyone was the wiser which absinthe was used; the bottle was wine-like' (green) lable at the top saying 65 in red..

Looks rather palatable spoon.gif

Adieu

absintheglass-glow2.gif

:Scar.
Eire
It was a czech brand, probably Sebor considering when the film was shot. Now the spoon in the film, La Feuille d' Absinthe, thats something of beauty!

gun thug.gif
musicgeek
I'll have to pull out the DVD...haven't watched it for awhile.
*Scarling*
I know im not really in the know yet about most absinthe brands and such, but im slowly getting there.
I dont think it was sebor, nore any other czech brand..
Kinda looks french (?)
Hiram
I haven't watched it since I became a little more knowledgeable about brands, but don't rule out the probablity that they whipped up a phony prop.

Now I have to go pull out From Hell and check out that bottle.
musicgeek
OK, 14th chapter..."Dracula's Wives".

Nice boobs.gif ...no absinthe.

I must have an older version of the DVD.

Guess I'll have to watch the whole movie.

Absomphe
"Now I have to go pull out From Hell and check out that bottle."

I believe it's one of those "antique looking" labels that reads "Absinthe Suisse"

*Scarling*
QUOTE (Hiram @ Mar 2 2004, 04:22 PM)
I haven't watched it since I became a little more knowledgeable about brands, but don't rule out the probablity that they whipped up a phony prop.

Now I have to go pull out From Hell and check out that bottle.

Read my mind.. tis what i planed on doing also..

as your alot more in the know if you will.

Post a message saying which ab, inspector abberline' uses to chase the fairy / dragon.

Does the laudanum work? I heard theres a 50 / 50 chance of death, if one was so bold as to try ab and laudanum.

Tis also such a lordish' film : Added bonus when one is a jack the ripper / J.Depp fan.

absintheglass-glow2.gif
*Scarling*
QUOTE (musicgeek @ Mar 2 2004, 04:23 PM)
OK, 14th chapter..."Dracula's Wives".

Nice boobs.gif ...no absinthe.

I must have an older version of the DVD.

Guess I'll have to watch the whole movie.

lol.

Well im sure it was chapter 14 looking-up.gif

absintheglass-glow2.gif
Hiram
Does the laudanum work? I heard theres a 50 / 50 chance of death, if one was so bold as to try ab and laudanum.

BWAH-Hahahahahh!!! Hmm. Sorry.

No. That's false. Absinthe isn't some mystical, strange drug (or wine that foams, but that's another story) that has weird properties. Think of it as strong booze. That's pretty much all it is.

Now, laudanum. It's just opium dissolved in alcohol. Period. Drinkable opium. That's it.

The average dose of opium is a bit larger than a pea. When dissolved in alcohol, it necessarily takes up a lot more room. The point I'm making is that he didn't put anywhere near enough laudanum in that stuff (what? a few drops?) to do anything significant.

Opium is much milder in it's effect than most people think. It's not like heroin, which can be up to 1000 times stronger.
Steve
Now the spoon in the film, La Feuille d' Absinthe, thats something of beauty!

But it looked to me like Winona had the spoon upside down (prongs down)... Or maybe I imagined it because the movie was so mind-numbingly tedious...
musicgeek
Chapter 28..."What is happening to Lucy and me"

Label is similar to vintage Pernod...with the generic "absinthe" where "Pernod Fils" should be.

Bottle looks like Un Emile.

Color looks convincing.

Definitely French...or just a well made prop.

At least they don't set it on fire.
*Scarling*
QUOTE (Hiram @ Mar 2 2004, 04:46 PM)

BWAH-Hahahahahh!!! Hmm. Sorry.

No. That's false. Absinthe isn't some mystical, strange drug (or wine that foams, but that's another story) that has weird properties. Think of it as strong booze. That's pretty much all it is.

Now, laudanum. It's just opium dissolved in alcohol. Period. Drinkable opium. That's it.

The average dose of opium is a bit larger than a pea. When dissolved in alcohol, it necessarily takes up a lot more room. The point I'm making is that he didn't put anywhere near enough laudanum in that stuff (what? a few drops?) to do anything significant.

Opium is much milder in it's effect than most people think. It's not like heroin, which can be up to 1000 times stronger.

Nono.. your mistaken, i say that simply because depp places laudanum (which i am well aware is opium dissolved in alcohol) apon the sugar then lights it.

Alas seems too chase the dragon with absinthe aslo.

Hehe i know absinthe is no mystical, strange drug.
I just wasnt sure about the laudanum quantity

My Appoliges for the misunderstanding.

absintheglass-glow2.gif
*Scarling*
QUOTE (musicgeek @ Mar 2 2004, 05:18 PM)
Label is similar to vintage Pernod...with the generic "absinthe" where "Pernod Fils" should be.

Bottle looks like Un Emile.

Color looks convincing.

Definitely French...or just a well made prop.

At least they don't set it on fire.

Inded the cover does look pretty convincing..

also no fire sp_ike.gif

..Is that absinthe still available?

absintheglass-glow2.gif
rjordan
tis what i planed on doing also..

Tis also such a lordish' film

Alas seems too chases the dragon with absinthe aslo.

What era are you trying to speak in? Sounds like your doing 19th century? Is this on purpose? Just wondering.

gun thug.gif
*Scarling*
NOt doing it on purpose, its how i type.

offtopic2.gif

I see from your pic, you are a slipknot fan..
Good man, they are indeed a good band despite all the media attention and such.
Great live.

absintheglass-glow2.gif
Aion
Actually the color was yellowish, if I remember correctly,
just like Lasala or Montana.

Artemis
just wondering if anyone was the wiser which absinthe was used

I'm wise enough to know green liquid you see in a movie doesn't have to be absinthe at all. It's a MOVIE. The stuff in the glass was a PROP. All this has been discussed here before, as has the glass pipe,

On the other hand, the director is friends with Ted, so maybe it was the ultimate absinthe.

Why don't you go ask on the dopehead forum? They should be able to answer your questions about the crack pipe as well. It will probably be quite scientific, too.
"50/50 chance of death".

Kinda looks french (?)

You're quite good. Nobody here has ever been able to tell the origin of absinthe just by looking at it, and by looking at it on a TV screen, at that.

I just wasnt sure about the laudanum quantity

And you care because? This is a rhetorical question.

What era are you trying to speak in?

Indeed.

In the spirit of the kindler, friendlier forum, I hereby invite you the SHUT THE FUCK UP until you learn enough to hold an intelligent conversation about absinthe here, without reference to dope of any kind, direct or implied. EVERYTHING you've brought up so far has been thoroughly hashed out here months, if not years ago. Go read the archives. Learn something. Are you even old enough to drink? (Rhetorical also - no answer required).
BrSpiritus
Artemis, so many stupid newbies come through the forum why are you letting this one get you so riled?

torch.gif - Artemis, the noob dungeonmaster
*Scarling*
sp_ike.gif

QUOTE (Oxygenee @ Mar 3 2004, 04:30 AM)
QUOTE (*Scarling* @ Mar 3 2004, 02:11 PM)
You are pathetic enough to make me laugh. 

Scarling:

Your inane and ignorant comments, kindergarten level spelling and pathetic attempts to insult one of the Forum's most respected members are tiresome, boring and deeply unfunny.

Please leave. 

As posted in another thread :

Respected, for what being a stuck up?
Becuase what ive seen, it makes me wonder.

Tiresome, boring and deeply unfunny you say?
COuldnt of put it better myself; Because the same could be said for mr respectable.
Who takes everything far to serious.
The reason why i have been insulting" is because he insulted me, for something so trivial as me likeing a pipe.
Despite it not being offical, nore part of absinthe, i liked it and was interested in sampling some Fée verte in one.

Threatening someone online tho?  haha yes my how sival and grown up.
Despite me saying over and over i was joking about stealing a glass.
Im no theif, nore a dopehead" as he has labeled me.

You forget that i am simply shocked how serious you can be over something so simple, as a pipe.

WHat i said my have come across wrong, fair enough.
I know i am new here, but still- i dont like desputes, i just dont like being talked down to either.
Being new does not give you nore make you better then me, nore me better then any of you.
I came here because i share an intrest in absinthe,  i did not expect such a well.. hostile experience.

absintheglass-glow2.gif
SnakeHead
Nice boobs.gif no absinthe.

Mmmm, Monica Bellucci boobs.gif
Absomphe
"Are you even old enough to drink? (Rhetorical also - no answer required)."

In fact he's not yet twenty, according to his profile.
Surprise, surprise....
Artemis
Artemis, so many stupid newbies come through the forum why are you letting this one get you so riled?

That's a good question. I've asked it to myself.

See Jacflash's response to him in one of the other threads; Jac covered it very well.

Even his handle * ..... * is irritating. It reminds of the dipshits on Usenet who title their posts "Ping".

Ignorant is fine. Stupid is worse, but stupid and confrontational is intolerable.

And the DOPE connection - I've always agreed with Don Walsh on that. It doesn't belong here. It's not good for absinthe, it's not good for us. How much laudanum is enough ... give me a break.
Artemis
Maybe I really haven't answered the question posed by Brother Spiritus.

This child (he shouldn't even be in here) is not my peer in any sense of the word except that we're both Homo Sapiens (presumably), and yet he dares to give me shit.

My initial post wasn't directed to him, but to someone else, who made a post about a ridiculous item on Ebay, and even tied a dope reference to it (BONG). The child responded to that post, apparently in seriousness. I told all who had chimed in to that point that I hoped they weren't serious and I gave some facts and and an opinion to back up my words. Any fool could tell the facts from the opinion. But the child, unlike everybody else who had posted up to that point WAS serious, and he took my criticism of the EBay thing personally, and got personal with me. And now he won't shut up. I could ignore him, but I'd prefer to see him bounced out of here.

That's the truth.
hartsmar
Besides. Laudanum, being an opium derivate that has not been used or produced (that I know of) since quite a while back, hence wouldn't be possible to obtain without trying to produce it yourself, for which you would need opium, WHO CARES?!
Patlow
you mean you can't make it by scraping off poppy seed bagels???
Absomphe
To me, the most irksome aspect of this underagling, is his total lack of respect for the English language (and I was quite respectful, I think, in handling his opening post.) It is tedious to attempt to open any line of communication with someone who is alternately semi, and unintelligible. Add to that the whining self pity, and outright hostility, and it's not a very copacetic mix.

If he does choose to stick around, I hope he does some auto-didactic lurking, and takes a composition class, before jumping back into the fray.
hartsmar
*wHat dO YoU m3An By tHaT?*::

Patlow
i think these websites should have spell/grammar check like on MS Word.

we've got a robot telling us there was water on mars, so how is it this technology too far out of reach???

i'd like to use it myself as i type like a spaz and can never bother to proof my own messages.

and if there is one and i don't know it, then i am as dumb as a box of hair...

headbonk.gif
Absomphe
Y do U need 2 ask that? R U stupid? OmG WtF!!!
Patlow
huh?
Absomphe
Patlow:

You should have inserted an "is" between "technology" and "too". dev.gif
Patlow
see there! where is the grammar/spell check!!!

there isn't one right??? heheheheheheheh

w00t2.gif
hartsmar
Every now and then there's Sixela, the LAGN... Otherwise I count on Absomphe to take care of it. And at the few occassions he might screw it up himself, I try to catch it... He he.
Absomphe
wub.gif Moo!!!!
Eire
So, is this the result of our lax ("kind") approach to new comers? headbonk.gif I really hope not, I was feeling quite good about my reply to uninformed posts, but I think that at times, we need to throw out the "new-age" coza's and return to the viking_emoticon.gif This kind of crap shouldn't be tolerated.

And again for those 1337 posters out there...

50, !5 7|-|!5 7|-|3 r35UL7 0f 0Ur L4>< ("k!||d") 4PPr04c|-| 70 ||3// c0//3r5? headbonk.gif ! r34LLy |-|0P3 ||07, ! //45 f33L!||9 9U!73 900d 480U7 //y r3PLy 70 U||!||f0r//3d P0575, 8U7 ! 7|-|!||k 7|-|47 47 7!//35, //3 ||33d 70 7|-|r0// 0U7 7|-|3 "||3//-493" c0z4'5 4||d r37Ur|| 70 7|-|3 viking_emoticon.gif 7|-|!5 k!||d 0f cr4P 5|-|0ULd||'7 83 70L3r473d.
dev.gif

gun thug.gif
Absomphe

HAMSTER POWER!!!
Patlow
(high pitched voice)

hi! i'm new here! has anyone injected absinthe? i here it's all the rage now!

jacflash
QUOTE (Eire @ Mar 3 2004, 09:56 AM)
50, !5 7|-|!5 7|-|3 r35UL7 0f 0Ur L4>< ("k!||d") 4PPr04c|-| 70 ||3// c0//3r5? headbonk.gif ! r34LLy |-|0P3 ||07, ! //45 f33L!||9 9U!73 900d 480U7 //y r3PLy 70 U||!||f0r//3d P0575, 8U7 ! 7|-|!||k 7|-|47 47 7!//35, //3 ||33d 70 7|-|r0// 0U7 7|-|3 "||3//-493" c0z4'5 4||d r37Ur|| 70 7|-|3 viking_emoticon.gif 7|-|!5 k!||d 0f cr4P 5|-|0ULd||'7 83 70L3r473d.

Ooo, headache. Ow.

But maybe something like this should go on some kind of click-thru screen for newbies, as sort of a warning. "484||d0|| |-|0P3 4|_|_ y3 //|-|0 3||73r |-|3r3 shock.gif ", or some such. A coded warning that only the young and foolish can read and understand.
Eire
ATTENTION!!
ALL NEWBIES, HERE FOR THE FIRST TIME, SPOKEN IN YOUR OWN LANGUAGE, THE WISDOM OF THE COZA NOSTRILLA gun thug.gif !!!

485!||7|-|3 //!LL ||07 //4k3 y0U 7r!P 0U7, y0U //0||'7 533 4//4z!||9 c0L0r5 4||d !f y0Ur U5!||9 cz3c|-| 485!||7|-| (-3) 7|-|3|| y0U'LL Pr0848Ly 8Ur|| 0ff y0Ur |-|!P ||3// f4c!4L |-|4!r. 8Uy r34L 485!||7|-|3, d0 ||07 //4k3 y0Ur 0//||, d0||'7 45k 480U7 d!57!LL!||9 y0Ur 0//|| (!75 !LL394L), L34r|| |-|0// 70 5P3LL, c|-|3ck y0Ur 9r4////4r, LUrk f0r 4 //|-|!L3 70 937 7|-|3 |-|4||9 0f 7|-|3 804rd, r3P3c7 !75 3Ld3r5, 8U7 d0||'7 //0rry 480U7 7|-|3 5|-|!7 //3 9!/3 y0U y0Ur f!r57 f3// P057, !7 |-|4PP3||3d 70 U5 4LL 4||d 0||c3 //3 3//3r93d //3 //3r3 7rU3Ly "80r|| 494!|| |-|4rd". //3Lc0//3 4||d //!||d 7|-|3 4r73//!5, |-|3 8!75.

This has been a public service of the 1337 Hamster Squad. dev.gif

gun thug.gif
Eire
Absinthe will not make you trip out, you won't see amazing colors and if your using czech absinth (-e) then you'll probably burn off your hip new facial hair. Buy real absinthe, do NOT make your own, don't ask about distilling your own (its illegal), learn how to spell, check your grammar, lurk for a while to get the hang of the board, repect its elders, but don't worry about the shit we give you your first few post, it happened to us all and once we emerged we were truely "born again hard". Welcome and mind the Artemis, he bits.

For all you old bastards.
Absomphe
Whose quote was that?

I'm curious, being an old bastard, and all.
Eire
Quote? Just my little ranting ranting.gif , I'm hoping the 1337 version gets pinned, then we'll never have noob problems again! hyper.gif

gun thug.gif
Conju
All your noobs are belong to us. w00t1.gif
Absomphe
That's fine, as long as all the boobs.gif are belong to ME!!!
Hiram
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Mar 3 2004, 12:00 PM)
That's fine, as long as all the  boobs.gif  belong to ME!!!

Use your spell checker, Abs. It's "b boobs.gif bs."
Absomphe
I was spelling it phonetically! harhar.gif

Who's the self important looking old buzzard, leering at me in your avatar?

33 degrees of Kevin Bacon?
Eire
What's this Hiram? A new avitar that isn't an animated .gif?!?! blink.gif blink.gif

gun thug.gif
Absomphe
Eire:

Oh, please don't encourage him!!!!!!

Do you want that scary Highland Scots bastard's eyes following you around????? shock.gif shock.gif shock.gif shock.gif
Hiram
QUOTE (Eire @ Mar 3 2004, 12:07 PM)
What's this Hiram? A new avitar that isn't an animated .gif?!?!  blink.gif  blink.gif

gun thug.gif

How long did you sit there waiting for something to happen? You know you did.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.