Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthiades 2003
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Voyages au Pays des Fées
Heure Verte
Hello,

It's Luc from Paris !
I went to the Pontarlier's Absinthiades where I saw a lot of lovely things.

I brought back a short movie (windows Media, streaming, 5 mn) and some photos. You can check it on my Heure Verte web site right here :

http://www.heureverte.com/pontarlier.htm

Kallisti
Wow! Thanks Luc!

I'll make sure I put up a link somewhere.

But first... to the translators!
Rimbaud
I enjoyed the pics & video very much. Thanks!
Pataphysician
Wow! Cool, indeed!

Are those all private collectors or are there any antique shops in Pontarlier that carry Absinthe paraphenalia? How about shops elsewhere in Absintheland?

Marc Chevalier

I'm no Artemis; nonetheless, I've tried to translate a paragraph from Heure Verte's webpage:

"This was a chance to see that the collector's market hasn't bought up all the best absinthe collectibles yet, although the prices of these [at the Absinthiades] were sky high. For instance, it was impossible to find an antique spoon for less than 30 €, while the choicest items (fountains, posters) demanded a sum of many thousands of euros. If, last year, the fountains didn't last long on their sellers' tables, this year's fountains stayed put for the entire first day, and the majority of them didn't end up selling at all. All of which seems to augur some future price slashing."

Marc Chevalier

Some more:

"AN AVALANCE OF ANTIQUES"

" ... The visitors' eyes beheld no less than a dozen antiquarians' stands, one stand specializing in books, Frenchman Phil's stand offering his spoon reproductions, and an area reserved for displaying bottles of every absinthe brand sold on earth: no less than 100 different kinds!

The antiquarians' stands displayed impressive collections of a variety of items: spoons (including a sole example of a 'feuille d'absinthe', priced at 1400 €), glasses, posters, drippers, cards, fountains (more than twenty), match strikers, carafes, sugar pincers, topettes, etc. There were typically classic items, as well as more exotic fare."

Heure Verte
Thanx for the translation sp_ike.gif (my english is not good enough to translate myself), it's quite that. Our site should be translated in english soon by the way sp_ike.gif
Marc Chevalier

Je vous en pris, Heure Verte. Thank YOU for doing the hard part: filming the event and writing about it.

So ... which absinthe won the "Cuilleur d'Or" at this year's tasting contest?

Heure Verte
Unfortunately, I had to leave before the end of the sunday's contest so I don't know yet. Peter will tell us soon I guess, he was jurist !
Nolamour
Bravo...

Cool video...nice pictures...informative site.

Thanks, I enjoyed it.
Marc Chevalier

And let me add that your website is by far THE BEST French-language site dedicated to absinthe.

Its front page, in particular, makes searching for information very quick and painless.

Congratulations!

Marc Chevalier

Fun photos on Heure Verte's website: Frenchman Phil (with MC Delahaye) in his brick-and-mortar shop in La Rochelle.

Kallisti
I want to be a shop girl in Frenchman's shop.

He asked for a blow'd up poster of me licking the spoon he bought (smoooch!) for his shop... I wonder if it's up?

Heure Verte
Marc, you went digging on the site sp_ike.gif
Frenchman Phil talked to me about the licked spoon, I maked this face : shock.gif that's a hell of a story w00t1.gif
Kallisti
Weeee! Courtesy of Frenchman:
Kallisti
Uno mas!
thegreenimp
An International Star! w00t1.gif
Heure Verte
Here is the contest's results at the Pontarlier's Absinthiades that Peter sent to me, thanx to him :

1. François Guy 45°
2. Abisinthe 45° (Lemercier)
3. Deniset-Klainguer 45°
pierreverte
out of 16 products tasted....needless to say, it was once again a 'guy-love fest' for and by the locals with 45° placing higher than 68-72° this time, remember pernod-ricard 68° placed 2nd last year. libertine, which placed 3rd last year was second to last, the un émile 45° was 4th, the 68° émile blanche 8th, but placed ahead of all other products 68°+ (people were giving low 'color' scores to the blanche because it wasn't colored!) ahh, excuse me, it's a clear product!...
the Deniset-Klainguer 45° has no right to be even placed in the catagory of 'pontarlier' absinthes, as it is not distilled (they don't even make the essences they use to mix) and has sugar added, and most likely badiane (i forgot to check the label, but )... it tastes like versinthe lite....
Donnie Darko
That's hilarious Emile Blanche scored low because it wasn't coloured!
I always thought tastings were supposed to involve people who actually knew something about the beverage they're judging.
Sounds more like one of those blind soda taste tests they do in shopping malls. headbonk.gif

Is the Deniset made in Pontarlier? I walked by a building that I thought was the old Deniset distillery (said Deniset on the door), and looked in and a saw a bunch of yellow vats and boxes that said Pontarlier Anis. It smelled really bad.
Esseintes
I ask myself how compentent the jury actually was. I just knew 4 people and the rest seemd to be Pastis lovers if you asky me. Completely undrinkable stuff was rated high and excellent stuff was rated low. Also they told us to test the 16 sorts with sugar, which I find ridicules. I would not give too much on the results.

Have alook at the 16 sorts:

Les Fleures du Mal
Absinthe des Alpes
Oxygenee
Abisinthe 45
Abisinthe 72
L'Amesinthe
Versinthe
Versinthe La Blanche
Un Emile 45
Un Emile 68 La Blanche
Francois Guy
La Muse Verte 68
Manguin
Deniset
Libertine
Pernod 68

I_B_Puffin
Perhaps it was the wrong shade of clear fart.gif
thegreenimp
Perhaps Petermarc can answer this, who is the jury made up from?........From the sound of the results they don't appear to be absinthe people,...... or has absinthe gotten so far away from these people, that they they just don't know?
Bumpferret
Wow Kalisti -

Love that van Gogh poster.
Wolfgang
So he's the bastard who got the queen licked spoon ! sp_ike.gif

Kallisti
he's a very happy bastard indeed!
pierreverte
>Perhaps Petermarc can answer this, who is the jury made up from?........From the sound of the results they don't appear to be absinthe people,...... or has absinthe gotten so far away from these people, that they they just don't know?

like last year, i knew hardly anyone there, except ted, markus, and hans peter (absinthemonde), and they chose different people , so benoît and marie-claude delahaye were not part of the jury...they told people not to discuss while tasting, yet almost everyone did anyway and the woman sitting next to me clearly didn't know anything about absinthe, which i think was par for the course. several of the absinthes had been openly tasted a few days back at the inauguration (which we did not attend) and at the local distilleries, so people had the chance to identify new products with labels beforehand...the list of absinthes being judged was announced before we started the competition. (which was not correct form). the reason for using sugar was that if the back label instructs you to use sugar, (which almost all do) and the product is already too sweet, then it is not being represented properly. the organizer made it clear that there were several sub-categories (oil-mix, distilled, high alcohol, sugared) represented in the same contest, which would make things difficult. the low alcohols were served for the most part before the high (though this was not pointed out) it is stunning how everyone (well not everyone) picked the françois guy for number 1...it is most likely the only reference for (real?, the best?) absinthe that many there had...most of these people really don't know what absinthe is supposed to taste like (the french clearly drink much, much less of the local clandestine 'verte' or have any interest in absinthe at all compared to the swiss with their 'la bleue' just accross the border), they are just voting on what tastes best to them (as mostly pastis drinkers), which, afterall, is going to be the same reason why most people (french, et al) buy one brand or another...that the deniset could place third is only, in my opinion, due to the fact that it was tasted by people beforehand (i had never tasted it before, as it was just released for the inauguration) and got a local 'push'...interestingly enough, the bottle was taken away just after the contest, when people were retasting the uncovered bottles...we did manage to find the covered tester bottle to reaffirm our complete surprise at its rating...i would like to see all the judging totals for all the products, but that will most likely never become public knowledge...
Esseintes
In the end, I still found it interesting. I have no idea how they selected the jury, but one thing is clear - there were only very few Connaisseurs! I guess most jury members are more into Pastis, which is far more known in France as Absinthe. So the third place for a Pasits like beverage is not really a surprise to me. It shocked me a bit, when they told us before the degustation which brands are in and especially that we had to use sugar (which I did not...)

See it like this: A nice opportunity to meet people, spend a good time in Pontarlier and simply forget the degustation and furthermore the results of the degustation.
thegreenimp
It seems to follow an experience we had here, some friends had a small party, and one of their guests was an person from Doubs. I had brought all three Emile's as I thought it would be a chance for some of the people to sample some absinthe. The guy from Doubs had no idea Absinthe was available in France again, and had never sampled any Absinthe when he lived in France.
He did like the three Emiles, and thought that if Absinthe was promoted again, that it might take off and become popular once more if people were aware of it.

(Interestingly, the host had a bottle of "Non French Absinthe", that he refused to try, only wishing to sample the French made Emile)

He did seem genuinely surprised that Absinthe was available again.

sixela
QUOTE (pierreverte @ Oct 15 2003, 10:56 AM)
it is stunning how everyone (well not everyone) picked the françois guy for number 1...

I'm not surprised. It's easy to get a good louche out of FG, much harder for the other products (in particular UE 68 Blanche and Abisinthe 72). In fact, when I don't have really *ice old* water available but only fridge cold water, I tend to mix at least *some * FG with either UE or Abisinthe to get it to louche more easily.

Crafting a good glass of the high-alcohol absinthes is probably something slightly hard for a neophyte -- unless he has clear instructions and a good fountain (and knows how to use one).
Donnie Darko
Louche schmouche. If my absinthe has got nice flavour, I could give a rats ass whether it clouds up or not.
Rimbaud
Personally, taste is #1 for me, but colour & louche are important to me as well. A nice, milky, opalescent louche is a thing of beauty...
sixela
QUOTE (Donnie Darko @ Oct 16 2003, 04:23 PM)
Louche schmouche. If my absinthe has got nice flavour, I could give a rats ass whether it clouds up or not.

Of course. OTOH:

-The jury might be influenced by louche - it *is*
attractive. Heck, even an oil mix like La Fee has
something appealing when it louches wink.gif.

- Making a UE68 taste well also requires more effort -
it really *tastes* differently when you pour very cold
water very slowly than when you just slosh on some
water. FG is simply not as discriminating.

Plus UE requires much less sugar than some other brands, and unless you've personally tried the best sugar content per glass, you'll never know.

We're talking "Absinthiades Jury" level skills here -- not "Absinthe Mafia" level skills (though I do suppose it's perfectly legitimate to bitch about the fact they're so different).

I_B_Puffin
It may not be as important as taste, but I want my absinthe to louche; I also want it to have a nice natural green color.
Bumpferret
I finally started freezer-ing my water prior to dripping. I can taste a difference with UE 68, even with my young absinthe palate. There's a somewhat deeper louche compared to fridge water as bonus.
sixela
QUOTE (I_B_Puffin @ Oct 16 2003, 08:33 PM)
I also want it to have a nice natural green color.

Grrr....

Sale raciste!

Allez les blanc(he)s!

[Says he, lucky owner of a not entirely empty bottle of UE68B]

[I might add that I've Gimped a version of my little fairy penguin avatar into green, but that after this shameless display of prejudice, I shall refrain from changing my avatar to it - there's nothing unnatural about its uncoloured belly]

Now, if ever *Jade* makes it to market, I shall expect a fine green colour. But right now, some Swiss La Bleue bottles are as fine as they get, and they're not coloured (well, not all of them: I did happen to bump into a grass-green (NOT Hill's green!) bottle when my employer still had a factory in Cortaillod).
Wolfgang
Six... you should be aware that you can actually get a bottle of fine distilled and naturally colored *green* absinthe... Check the link in my profile... Not more expensive than those so called LaBleu ...
sixela
QUOTE (Wolfgang @ Oct 19 2003, 12:32 AM)
Six... you should be aware that you can actually get  a bottle of fine distilled and naturally colored *green* absinthe... Check the link in my profile... Not more expensive than those so called LaBleu ...

Of course I am aware -- I hinted at the existence of green la Bleue (sic) in my post.

It's just that I couldn't stand the "green==good; transparent==not good" comment: it's the thing that's caused all the fluo green stuff out there (and causes people to see the bottle of Hill's despite my attempts to hide it behind lots of other stuff in my cabinet).

Though to be honest, the effects of that frame of mind *is* useful. After haing tasted Hill's, you'll know that artificially coloured green == evil.
Sambeau
Hello all.
Does anyone know where I might find the reproduction glass pictured on the L'heur Verte site? It is called "un etrange verre a reservoir" My french is a little rusty so forgive me if the information is on his site. Thanks.
pierreverte
you can't...it was found by the moderator's family somewhere in france. i have handled the glass, it is quite beautiful, and i can't date it at all, but i doubt it was made recently. (if it is, i'll hunt it down)
i would be happy to have a set to appreciate the finer absinthes from a thin-walled glass...(and i have quite a number of antique glasses)
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Bumpferret @ Oct 16 2003, 02:51 PM)
I finally started freezer-ing my water prior to dripping.  I can taste a difference with UE 68, even with my young absinthe palate.  There's a somewhat deeper louche compared to fridge water as bonus.

Might be the stupid question of the day but what the hell.

Aside from getting the water as cold as possible, does anyone advocate chilling the absinthe itself or maybe the glass? Although it definitely works for a nice cold beer, drinking absinthe out of a frosty glass would seem a bit strange. It's probably non-traditional bordering on sacrilegious but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad idea.

Or does it? huh.gif
Heure Verte
For Sambeau :

This mysterious glass is incredibly thin and light. Like Peter said, it has been found in the south-west of France by my parents in a a local antiques who didn't know anything about it.
I'm very curious about it, so if you guys see it anywhere, get some info smile.gif
Kallisti
Aside from getting the water as cold as possible, does anyone advocate chilling the absinthe itself or maybe the glass? Although it definitely works for a nice cold beer, drinking absinthe out of a frosty glass would seem a bit strange. It's probably non-traditional bordering on sacrilegious but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad idea.

On a hot, humid summer day in New Orleans, poured over Sprite on the rocks? You betcha!!!

Don't forget your curly straw.
BlackJack
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Oct 22 2003, 07:31 PM)
Aside from getting the water as cold as possible, does anyone advocate chilling the absinthe itself or maybe the glass?

Chilling the absinthe too much will cause it to separate, especially oil-mixes.
Kallisti
floaties! blink.gif
Provenance
Night arches–in this sky the mouth the sex the red thread and the pillar–
perseverate the body.
Night frames–in this sky a false light worlds–rectangular–illuminates
and cicatrixes worlds

L Conway

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.