Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bandwidth Reduction Measures
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > Administrative News & Site Updates
Kallisti
As I think has been previously hinted at by Headmin, we've been exceeding our bandwidth quotas for the past couple months, are are due to do so again for March. Feeverte.net is approx. 75% of my traffic, especially since I redid the site, and installed the new forum software. Doh!

I have to start taking some cutting measures, some will be small and you won't even notice. Others you might notice but won't mind. But the first one is that I've blocked access to the archives. Those old files are just too giant and get lots of random google hits. The old forum is still there, it is just the really ancient archives that I've blocked.

Sorry if this limits our trips down memory lane, but they are still there if we need to do some serious sleuthing. Please just ask me or Head.
crosby
Fund raiser time. Kick down you chatterboxes, it’s time to pay for your habit. The Paypal link is in the upper right corner, in case you never noticed it before.
Jack Batemaster
I think some of those Archive threads are important to keep around - they're almost historical.

Maybe someone else with the bandwidth could host the Archives for you?
Kallisti
They're there, just password protected. As soon as I can solve some of the other issues they will be back. I really, really, really want to keep them available. But it was the easiest thing to turn off for the moment.

And if there is something you're looking for, you can ask me, or something. I know it's a pain. But not a permanent one.
Jack Batemaster
Well, one thing you can do to reduce bandwidth is to disallow search engine spiders/robots to scan the words in actual forum pages. I forget exactly how, it's been awhile, but I think it's in the <HEAD> (no not that HEAD) - probably one of the <META> tags.
Kallisti
I don't think they're scanning this forum, it is the old ancient flat html page archives that are causing me grief. And I haven't had good luck with my robots.txt and my htaccess files so far. Ugh.

Like, i've tried to set it up so google can't browse my images, and yet they still do. I need sysadmin ninja help please.
Jack Batemaster
I'd offer to help out, but I haven't done the web stuff in over 3 years, I'm a bit behind in the technology. Sounds like you're already ahead.
Kallisti
yeah, I just need to do my homework wacko.gif poo.
Hiram
What does your robots.txt say?

I use this:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /

It's simple and primitive but it keeps even Altavista out of my image directories.

It cascades to include every directory within the one which holds it.
Hiram
Is this part of the bandwidth reduction?:

Sorry, an error occured. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

The file you requested to upload was greater than the limit the administrator has set for your group.

It was only 55k. :(
Kallisti
our file upload limit has always been 50k. but yeah, I've had that damn robots.txt forever. and it never worked for crap.

but I've made a couple changes and resubmitted to google, we'll see.

now I'm trying to block hotlinking but can't get it to *allow* from sites I want to allow. piffle.

User-agent: Googlebot-Image
Disallow: /
User-agent: *
Disallow: /cgi-bin/
Disallow: /images/
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Hiram @ Mar 16 2004, 06:55 PM)
Is this part of the bandwidth reduction?:

It was only 55k. :(

I don't know shit about all this bandwidth and robot stuff but I do know that it says, "Maximum file size (in bytes): 51200" beside the File Attachment button thingy.
Kallisti
well, I *think* the deny googlebot finally worked. woo!
Hiram
QUOTE (Kallisti @ Mar 16 2004, 04:27 PM)
our file upload limit has always been 50k.

Hmf. *head-scratch* I could have sworn I'd uploaded bigger stuff than that. I must have linked it.
Kallisti
yeah, if you link it there is no limit cuz it ain't my bandwidth yer farking with.
Eire
I'll be sure to buy m'lady another drink soon, just gotta get that new Fou ordered first!

gun thug.gif
rjordan
I'll send a money order to ya to help out. I don't use Paypal anymore. I may have to get back with them if an order requires it but, for everything else I'll go back to the archane system of paper stuff. PM me an address (P.O. Box or whatever, I'm not trying to get your real address) so's I can send out a Money Order or something.

gun thug.gif
Kallisti
Both of you are TOO KIND! Yay for you!

I've streamlined the header and removed the background image on the site:

http://www.feeverte.net/

I have to remember where the forum bg image is though. Hrm.
hartsmar
another thing you could do, which would actually lower each pageloading by approx 4.2Kb would be to streamline the script files you load for navigation etc. I just checked them out, and if you just remove all blank lines and unnecessary comments, you lower the file sizes quite a lot.

The same goes for the pages themselves. In the stylesheets there are a lot of blank lines and tabspaces... They all take up space and increase filesize.

It's a dirty job "cleaing it up", but it turns out good in the end.

Oh, and I think the forum-bg is in the style sheet, if I'm not mistaken. hehe
Kallisti
Indeed, that is what I"m working on now. Pew.

And yeah, it is just a different stylesheet built into the forum than the rest of the site. The question was somewhat rhetorical.
hartsmar
You do that... That's the spirit! Good job K.
I'll just go to sleep in the meantime, here on my side of the pond.

harhar.gif
Kallisti
slog slog slog.

delete delete delete.
Icarus
Remember, that's how we ultimately crashed the original lounge. I knew Opie had been getting close to his limit... I just enlisted some help to overload the bandwidth.

Oh the good ole' days. When we had something to fight about.
LARS!.gif
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Icarus @ Mar 19 2004, 01:17 AM)
Oh the good ole' days. When we had something to fight about.

Yes indeed...I always seem to find myself longing for those crazy days in the autumn of 2003.

"Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away........."
Absomphe
"Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away........."

Paul McCartney's no Ian Anderson.
Head_prosthesis
Dear Guests,

In an effort to further diminish our bandwidth
issues we've reduced guest viewing to only the
Absinthe related topics of the Forum. This may
be temporary, it may be permanent.

If you are a member and can log in, you will still
be able to read the other topics.

Thank you
Kallisti
My site will not go bust when I reach bandwidth limits, I just get charged x amount per meg of over usage.

IPS is not hosting this board, I'm hosting it myself.
hartsmar
Let me PayPal you some moeny while I'm drunk...
Head_prosthesis
Hahaha... That's always the best
time to express your love.
And Thank you too.
Absomphe
Time for me to once again put my money where my "mouth" is!

Thank you again Head and K. for your incredible hard work and dedication to giving a bunch of underground drunkards a place to call HOME!

And I'm sober at the moment, Hartsmar! harhar.gif
Head_prosthesis
QUOTE (Kallisti @ Mar 17 2004, 03:33 PM)
yeah, if you link it there is no limit cuz it ain't my bandwidth yer farking with.

Linking your avatars also saves you from having to
reduce them to the 15k limit
(new sucky bandwidth saving feature).

If you're having avatar issues that's most likely why.
Kallisti
I'd like to publically thank everyone who donated. Thank you SO MUCH. I'm still looking into methods of reducing bandwidth, but your generosity has taken the fear off.

heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif
Thank you!
Absomphe
We've got your back, Duchesse! heart.gif
Llama Herder
Figure I ghost enough on the forum while I'm at work, might as well throw tribute to da Bosses.

And I figure I saved money by avoiding the Czech poop.gif I might have purchased if I hadn't found this great resource!
Eire
My donations are based on this simple caluclation
# of glasses drunk (secondaries are a variable) X 2.4

And with my new shipment of Fou (wonderful by the way, just wonderful) tonight might become a wallet emptier.
A few buck and a toast! heart.gif abs-cheers.gif
Conju
FACK!
Conju
QUOTE (Kallisti @ Mar 25 2004, 10:25 AM)
I'd like to publically thank everyone who donated. Thank you SO MUCH. I'm still looking into methods of reducing bandwidth, but your generosity has taken the fear off.

Thank you!

I don't like to be out in the cold. I just love this site too much.
Kallisti
Alert! Alert!

You must be a registered user and be logged in to view the board. Hopefully this will reduce index page loads.

We're also turning off image upload. You can link to images on your own webspace using the [img] function, which will reduce considerably some of the bandwidth traffic.

Again, we're sorry for the drastic measures, but we're trying to find ways to keep this board up and running.
Head_prosthesis
"Is everybody in?

The ceremony is about to begin... "

user posted image
Rimbaud
WAKE UP!!!!!!
Kallisti
Great news!

Thanks to the kindness of strangers & friends I've recently upgraded my web account to a better, faster, huger server and have just been notified that the server move has been completed. Please report any problems or inconsistancies to me, but I don't anticipate any.

Most of the curtailed functions have been restored, and I will be allowing access to the ancient archives once again.

Thanks again EVERYONE for your patience and generosity. We'll be around for a long while!

heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif
Absomphe
LARS!.gif LARS!.gif LARS!.gif LARS!.gif LARS!.gif LARS!.gif LARS!.gif LARS!.gif
Conju
worshippy.gif abs-cheers.gif Drinks for everyone!
G&C
INDEED!

abs-cheers.gif abs-cheers.gif
hartsmar
Good going!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.