Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please Be Wary Notice on front index page...
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > Administrative News & Site Updates
Kallisti
I'm fed up...

I put a "be wary" notice on the front page and would like all ya'lls feedback on it, what to add, what to leave out, etc.

http://www.feeverte.net/

we discussed putting up a "walk of shame" page but there are too many legal implications for me on that. this should have none, no names are named. we know who they are. am I too heavy handed? will tiny happy shiney faced newbies listen to our cautious warnings? will it help?

or do I just sound bitter ranting.gif?
thegreenimp
How about a section showing what is not absinthe related hardware, like perfume fountains, bakelite saucers, or anything from Luxemburg.
Kallisti
Yes! Yes yes YES!

I *can* add a "fakers" page to the absinthiana guide and link it from that blurb on the front.

please post picks or send them to me at: kallisti@sepulchritude.com

cheers, thanks!
Nolamour
Not bitter...just succinct.

I think it is very important to have this implied warning and with the professionalism of this site, newbies are sure to take note. Some, that is. There will always be the "Gotta just try it" few in the beginning, but those will learn from their mistakes.

Getting burned, however, is the best teacher.

Maybe keep the Archived "Old" forum near, for reference...it helped me learn way back when. ...especially the heated discussions.

headbonk.gif
Rimbaud
Looks good, K! Good idea.
sixela
QUOTE (Nolamour @ Oct 8 2003, 08:19 PM)

Getting burned, however, is the best teacher.
headbonk.gif

Darn -- I bought some Hill's and Staro back in Czechia -- *after* having drunk much better stuff, at that -- without having tasted them, and despite your statement, I don't seem particularly enlightened by the experience.

But then, it was darn cheap too (or I wouldn't have done it), though I almost regret not having forked off slightly more for Sebor.
Marc Chevalier

Kallisti, you can begin with the item below. It is a relatively new perfume dispenser, seen on the counters of high-end perfume shops in France. A certain seller offers varying versions of these on eBay nearly every week. He/She always calls them "absinthe fountains", and sets the starting price at about $79.
Marc Chevalier

Another one:
I_B_Puffin
You could explain on the front page why there is no Logans Fils review. Someting like, "the losers who made this crappy absinthe whine too much about the bad reviews it gets, so we removed the reviews so we wouldn't have to listen to them cry."
Kallisti
sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
turangalila
One of the things I've always thought would've been helpful to me (and which isn't stated as explicitly as it should be) is a "How to judge good Absinthe" section in the FAQ. Something basic and rudimentary, at least, so people know what qualities they're looking for.

I remember when I was first trying to figure out what to order I really didn't have any idea what the variables were, what the differences between oil mixes and maceration and distillation were, and why they were important, why proper alcohol strength is crucial, etc.

Even just three basic points,

1. Distilled Absinthe is always preferable
2. 68% or higher is necessary, in order to be
3. Colored properly

Cut out most of the swill that's now on the market, and you're left with Emile and a few others. You could go into rudimentary herbal content as well, and what it should taste like, in this section. I don't really think it's explicit enough otherwise.

To me, it seems like that should be one of the first discussions in the faq. Give people the ability to judge properly for themselves, explain what the variables are in manufacture, and we won't have as many people choosing poorly made Absinthe.
turangalila
Also, there're a few outdated statements, like "That said, a few of the modern Spanish brands seem to have the best hold on flavor (and some of the best prices), though Sebors of the Czech Republic is not half bad either."

If I were new again I'd find that pretty confusing, especially w/the later insistance on Un Emile/F.Guy.
Kallisti
First, I added this page 6 months ago: What is Absinthe?

And based the new rating system on it, which is linked all over the guide including the index. Perhaps linking it first off in the faq might make it more bludgeon-over-the-head clear. Granted, there is an awful lot of information here, and I know it can all be rather daunting. But I do try to make it easy to find.

Second, I've updated reviews when supplied, but with 65 + brands I just find it all rather daunting to go back and review them all by my lonesome.

Perhaps you'd like to volunteer? I'd like a 2000 report on my desk by Monday morning.
turangalila
Kallisti,

I didn't mean to be offensive about the suggestions in any way; you've put immense work into this and it's completely evident in all aspects of the site. I hope none was taken. I actually hadn't looked at the "What is Absinthe" page; it's quite nice.

(I'd actually probably really enjoy proofreading things but the vast majority of the people here know much more than I do, so I'd feel really out of place.)
sixela
QUOTE (turangalila @ Oct 9 2003, 09:03 AM)

3. Colored properly

I hope you mean "coloured without artificial colour agents". Emile La Blanche (and Swiss HG La Bleue) are
not coloured, but they are not swill...

[Mind you, you're going to offend many Slerpis fans with that point, regardless of how you phrase
it]
Pataphysician
It's great. I don't think it's heavy-handed at all.

And as far as the Logan review, I think you should put it back. Logan is full of shit if they are saying "We won't allow you to use our name if you give us a bad review" (Was that the gist of it?). It's Fair Use, baby. It's like a restaurant telling a newspaper "We won't allow you to print our name if you give us a bad review." They would just be laughed at. As long as you're printing opinion and not malicious lies, they can't do a thing about it.

I think you should put the Logan review back as your ultimate "Fuck You" to them. And it's a service to your readers. Somebody who's thinking of buying Logan is going to check the reviews, and not finding any information they might just give it a try. I don't remember the original review, but if it was especially slanderous you could just say: "All the respected absinthe experts we know tell the Forum that this is not a good Absinthe." And don't list the vender, so no one will be encouraged to buy it.
Kallisti
I told him I might do that. Post an "honest" review, sans links and pictures.

But I was too angry to make a decision, I left myself open.

And, for the sake of the guide, that is probably what I will do. Several people have volunteered their reviews for me.

Rimbaud
Here's mine: "Shit".
Icarus
Speaking of confusing the newbies...

On a side note.

I spent some time looking at the review section (Boy, that's a lot of work... do you ever sleep)?

In the Suisse La Bleue section it's reviewed and rated as a specific absinthe, rather than a category. While the specific bottle reviewed may have been good, it does not mean that all LB's are that good... or even similar.

The review paints a false picture for the newbies. It infers that LB is a unique recipe/distributor rather than a category of absinthe.

Perhaps breaking the LB's into a subclass with reviews of individual batches would help to clear up the confusion?

Just my pet LB peeve. pirate2.gif
Pataphysician
"But I was too angry to make a decision, I left myself open."

Then, the terrorists win!

"Several people have volunteered their reviews for me."

That would be great, just: '10 out of 10 experienced Absinthe drinkers tell us that Logan really sucks. This is just their opinion, though, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of those responsible for this website. Not necessarily. But, then, maybe it does.'
Kallisti
QUOTE (Icarus @ Oct 9 2003, 08:48 AM)
Perhaps breaking the LB's into a subclass with reviews of individual batches would help to clear up the confusion?

I'm ahead of ya!

I will eventually (eventually) be breaking la bleue out into a new category "artisinal" under which several other artisinal brews shall be reviewed for informational purposes. This will be accompanied by a vintage review section.

So I'll be pestering all ya'll for more reviews later.

Also, it's not that I don't sleep, it's that I don't work. Unbenownst, of course, to my place of employ. ph34r.gif
thegreenimp
The Major has had too much Le Bleue...........
Bumpferret
I like it Kalista.

After reading this thread, I get all the Logan references in the others. Now I'm the sharpest light bulb in the shed.
Rimbaud
QUOTE (Bumpferret @ Oct 10 2003, 11:53 AM)
I like it Kalista.

???
Sheepprofessor
QUOTE (Pataphysician @ Oct 9 2003, 06:38 AM)

And as far as the Logan review, I think you should put it back. Logan is full of shit if they are saying "We won't allow you to use our name if you give us a bad review" (Was that the gist of it?). It's Fair Use, baby. It's like a restaurant telling a newspaper "We won't allow you to print our name if you give us a bad review." They would just be laughed at. As long as you're printing opinion and not malicious lies, they can't do a thing about it.

...and I don't see where he would have a legal leg to stand on, anyway. I mean, Logan Distributing exists solely to promote illegal activities. Fair use or not, I can't believe that it is illegal to disparage a product that isn't even legal to consume to begin with.

Watch this: "Columbian cocaine sucks! It's mostly drano and crystal meth. Anyone who buys Columbian cocaine is an idiot and is throwing their money away."

I might get whacked, but I'm pretty sure I won't get sued.
Rimbaud
Sue me, FUCKER!!!!
Jack Batemaster
My review of Columbian Cocaine:

Almost pure white with slight opalescent yellow hue. Somewhat powdery but with a slightly "rocky" texture - nothing a razorblade or credit card can't cut. Once consumed, it numbs the tongue and the back of the throat. The flavor reveals subtle textures with a hint of woodiness and an earthy background, but is quite well balanced. It has a strong bitterness that slides to the side of the palate.

One snort, I was very present. Two snorts, extremely present. Three snorts, stone-cold-sober and light sensitive. After snorting the full quarter gram, I was starting to have difficulty with spacial relationships. I'd suspect it is quite high in THUJONE!.

With having quite a bit of experience with Crystal Meth, I disagree with other reviews that it is similar to Drano and Crystal Meth. Although the color and texture is simlar, the effects are much more subtle.
Kallisti
I'm feeling alot of love right now.
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Jack Batemaster @ Oct 10 2003, 11:24 AM)
My review of Columbian Cocaine.....I'd suspect it is quite high in THUJONE!.

That is hilarious!

Has Columbian Cocaine been affected by the EU regulations to restrict levels compared to pre-ban blow?
Oxygenee
Yes, sadly the Brussels bureaucrats have tampered with this artisanal tradition as well. Nothing that's currently available compares with original Escobar Fils (although I hear Don is working on something in Thailand).
sixela
Quickly -- let's post a few sentences with the word cocaine before the word mutton chops gets turned into something else.

Oops -- too late. Mutton chops, mutton chops, mutton chops -- darn!

[And when will someone rise and explain, GLC analysis in hand, that Escobar Fils *really* didn't have that much mutton chops in it, at least not more than what's available in over-the-counter modern methadone?]
I_B_Puffin
http://chillingeffects.org is a good website to read about trademarks and copyright usage on the internet.

"Trademark has its own types of "fair uses" including use for product comparison and criticism, news reporting, and parody."

Kallisti
then how come a buncha people who put up web page about shyster ebay sellers got sued and were forced to pull the pages down?

it all depends who can afford the lawyer. I ain't goin' there.
I_B_Puffin
In the case I read about, the objection that eBay had was the use of eBay in their domain name. So the site just changed the domain name, and site name, but still has the same contents.

So http://www.ebayguitarscams.com/ is now just plain old http://www.guitarscams.com/. The content of the site didn't change, just the name. They can talk about eBay; they just can't name their site after eBay.
Perruche_verte
I made a remark in the other thread about "Petsmart" when I meant "Pets W@reh0u$e"...

Another fine example of free speech and fair use, derailed by the power of the lawsuit.

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/04/...aquatic_plants/

Lord Stanley
From the Salon article:

"...a sleepy online community of aquatic plant gardeners..."

The violation of the right to free speech is disturbing but the existence of that aforementioned "community" scares me even more.

shock.gif
justabob
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Oct 12 2003, 03:41 PM)
From the Salon article:

"...a sleepy online community of aquatic plant gardeners..."

The violation of the right to free speech is disturbing but the existence of that aforementioned "community" scares me even more.

shock.gif

Yes Lord Stanley I fear we are all republicans now!
Marc Chevalier

Right at this moment, on the "www. aquaverte.net" plant forum, someone is posting the following message:

"From the Salon article:

'...a touchy online community of avid absinthe fanatics...'

The violation of the right to free speech is disturbing but the existence of that aforementioned 'community' scares me even more."

Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Marc Chevalier @ Oct 13 2003, 07:14 AM)
Right at this moment, on the "www. aquaverte.net" plant forum, someone is posting the following message:

"From the Salon article:

'...a touchy online community of avid absinthe fanatics...'

The violation of the right to free speech is disturbing but the existence of that aforementioned 'community' scares me even more."

I'm usually more sleepy (like the aquatic plant people) than touchy myself but the rest sounds about right. wink.gif
Perruche_verte
Beware the strange kingdoms of the Lotus-Eaters and the Absinthe-Drinkers. blink.gif
Lord Stanley
Q: Do you know what happens when aquatic gardeners run out of plants?

A: They get by with a little kelp from their friends.

OK, I know that was really, really bad but I couldn't resist. headbonk.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.