Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pre-Ban Pernod Fils available in tasting samples.
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Oxygenee
With Kallisti's kind permission, I'm posting a link which may be of some interest....

http://www.oxygenee.com/absintheFORSALE2.html

Head_prosthesis
Where's that "crowd clammering at the gates" emoticon?
Deluge
My prayers have been answered! w00t2.gif Thanks Oxy! absintheglass-glow2.gif
Eire
holy christ on a cross! shock.gif If each MWLF taster gives 25 bucks we can get some! Gotta see if we can arrange this!
(I can dream right?) How fast could you ship a sample? Our tastings on April 3th.
hartsmar
Oh, how I need $250 right now...

Donnie Darko
Given the price, I'm seriously questioning the authenticity of a supposed shot of vintage Edouard Pernod that was sold to me by Betty a few years back. blink.gif

It was definitely vintage absinthe, but from my memory there wasn't much to distinguish it from Tarragona...
Deluge
Jesus! I can't wait to try my sample of preban Pernod!!! w00t2.gif
Icarus
Hmmm. Maybe we can organize something for LCLF'04 as well.

$250 is too rich for my blood, but if we could drum up a few members. w00t2.gif
Donnie Darko
Interesting looking plants behind the Edouard Pernod bottle pics.... wormwood.gif ?
Icarus
Rosemary? Lavender?
Deluge
I hope you fols can get a sample! It will be nice to compare reviews.

Cheers! absintheglass-glow2.gif
anticlimacus
Did anyone here buy a sample?
Deluge
I did! I should get it soon.
Rimbaud
For $250, you damn well better enjoy those two drinks!!!
absintheglass-glow2.gif absintheglass-glow2.gif
Hiram
Am I on crack or didn't this thread used to be a lot longer?

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that's rosemary in the pics.
Rimbaud
You might be on crack. It's one of the main ingredients in 9 out of 10 HG's...
anticlimacus
Great, Deluge! I'm excited to hear how it is. You're not gonna do something silly like keep it stashed away for some "special occasion", are ya?

Actually, that's probably what I would do but I really
want to hear how you like it. Have you had vintage
Pernod before?
crosby
QUOTE (Rimbaud @ Apr 10 2004, 09:46 AM)
You might be on crack. It's one of the main ingredients in 9 out of 10 HG's...

Shhhh...That's the supposed to be a secret.
Artemis
Rosemary? Lavender?

They do look alike. I think it's lavender.

You're not gonna do something silly like keep it stashed away for some "special occasion", are ya?

I just got off the telephone with a friend who told me the story of his first (and only) encounter with Pernod Fils.

My friend has an acquaintance, we'll call him the Black Prince, from a moneyed family whose fortunes have declined. Still the prince grew up in a house with a wine cellar, etc.

So one day my friend mentions absinthe to the Prince. Prince Blackie says, "what the hell is that"? He gets the explanation, and replies, "sure I'll try anything once". My friend gets out a bottle of Tarragona, purchased at a very dear price. Prince says "Oh I recognize that, we've got a bottle of that at home". Friend calls bullshit. Prince says "no, it was my grandpa's. It's in the wine cellar; I remember the label because my brother and I used to play down there, we'd roll it to each other on the floor (!!). I've always thought it was some kind of wine". So a few days later my friend goes to visit the Prince, and there on the table is a bottle of Pernod Fils, the label all roughed up from rolling on the floor.

My friend starts to babble incoherently, mentions testing and archival and so on, but the Prince says "Fuck all that, we're going to drink this". And so they did. My friend sneaked to the kitchen, tried to find a container into which he could sneak some under the table or something, but the Prince wouldn't have it, decadent bastard. It's all gone now, but my friend does have the empty bottle. The cork has a Pernod brand in the top of it, just as described in the old pamphlet about the Pernod factory, revealed for the first time in a hundred years when Blackie peeled the wrap off that day.

The whole time he's telling me this story I'm laughing like hell, because he's saying, he doesn't understand the Prince. I said of course you do. I'm reminded of the tasting session Head P. and I had with about 11 very non-standard absinthes, all the way from Scandanavia, and after about three we couldn't tell the difference and didn't care much anyway, but we got shit-faced on a winter night with the wind raging outside, fitting for an elixir of Odin. Sometimes, you just gotta say, "what the fuck".
pierreverte
>Sometimes, you just gotta say, "what the fuck".

amen
Kallisti
I say that all the time, but it usually looks more like "what the fuck!?!?!?!"

All about perspective.
Absomphe
That's exactly what my business partner, and another friend said, at the turn of the millennium when we cracked open a bottle of 1865 champagne...what the fuck, if we wait any longer, the stuff might go bad!
Icarus
Great story... and the moral, perfect. abs-cheers.gif

I hit the "what the fuck" spot far too often.
Artemis
To make things even spookier, I can't sleep tonight, so after I made that post (well after) I was listening to the radio - alternately Art Bell, with some kook describing the end of the world (very soon), and scanning. Then I catch a guy going on at great length - I mean 20 minutes with no commercials, about what a great and significant movie "Risky Business" was.

By the way, the Kook says that when a space shuttle mission is aborted due to problems with a meteor shower, the end is very soon after that. We're safe until 2005, I think, because the shuttles are grounded until then. It's a solar flare that will be the end of us, by the way, along with 300-mph winds and 2000-foot waves. Sorry to spoil yall's Easter, but the new photo restriction prevents me from posting the picture of marshmallow Peeps bunnies in the grass like I was fixing to do.
Head_prosthesis
Remote link it.

user posted image
Artemis
No can do, I have no place to put it. Anyway, I wasn't going to shoot it until dawn. Just imagine little white candy bunnies in the grass. Or the world destroyed by tidal waves, whatever.
Artemis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3515788.stm

That's what the kook was talking about. The one that will be the finish of us will be much bigger and more direct, sez he. I don't say he's a kook because of the subject matter, but because of his method, which is "remote viewing", in other words clairvoyance, which he never explains on the air, but he DOES offer seminars on how to do it. For a fee, of course.
hartsmar
QUOTE (Artemis @ Apr 10 2004, 01:16 PM)
an elixir of Odin.

Sounds like something I'd fancy, eh?
Artemis
Indeed, Hartsmar. What's strange is just last night I was reading an article about M.R. James, and how he got the ideas for some of his stories - it talked about the wind actually being Odin. You can probably guess the identity of the Viking HGer - he was fond of putting things such as juniper berries in there - at the time I thought of that as a peculiarly Norse thing to do, but looking at the bottle of Sapphire gin I bought yesterday, I see that the juniper comes from the Mediterranean.
Patlow
QUOTE (Artemis @ Apr 11 2004, 12:16 AM)

It's a solar flare that will be the end of us, by the way, along with 300-mph winds and 2000-foot waves.

SURF'S UP!!!
hartsmar
QUOTE (Artemis @ Apr 11 2004, 01:44 AM)
he was fond of putting things such as juniper berries in there - at the time I thought of that as a peculiarly Norse thing to do, but looking at the bottle of Sapphire gin I bought yesterday, I see that the juniper comes from the Mediterranean.

It does, but it is quite commonly used up here in spirits.
And in most parts of Sweden, Norway and probably parts of Finland, Juniper grows wild a little here and there.

What amazes me, is that absinthe never was that popular here, atleast not in Sweden. And still, in many of the akvavits here, they use fennel and anise and wormwood as the main herbs. One of the finest brands of akvavit (I think) is O.P Andersson, containing mainly anise and fennel and cummin. Funny coinsidence is that the man it is named after, Olof Peter Andersson, was born in 1797. And we all know what else is supposed to have happened then.

Either way, I recently found a swedish forum where a bunch of folks had come across one of the "Pontarlier" absinthe recepies available all over the net, and some of them did some attempts to get something going. The photos I've seen isn't "all that", but you never know, give them time and they might succeed.

And... I'd really like to get in touch with the "MIA" from around my parts, who knows, one day.

Rimbaud
I was just at Oxy's site & noticed that the bottle of Edouard Pernod has been sold. I wonder who bought it and for how much?
hartsmar
Yeah, I also just noticed that most of the goods have been sold! I'm just sorry I couldn't afford it...
verbal_kraze
Is this waht you're talking about, or is it a totally different beverage. This says it has aquavit, peach, ginger and some other flavors in it.

user posted image
keyz
QUOTE (Artemis @ Apr 11 2004, 12:16 AM)

. We're safe until 2005, I think, because the shuttles are grounded until then. It's a solar flare that will be the end of us, by the way, along with 300-mph winds and 2000-foot waves. Sorry to spoil yall's Easter, but the new photo restriction prevents me from posting the picture of marshmallow Peeps bunnies in the grass like I was fixing to do.

if the end is near I'm grabbin my absinthe glass a bottle and a spoon............take the phone off the hook good bye all............................. absintheglass-glow2.gif
verbal_kraze
Yeah, you never know if you're going to see tomorrow, so enjoy the vintage while you can, maybe save a very small sample for a special occasion, but hey if you got it drink it. And damn I'd love to try a sample.
anticlimacus
Artemis: Regarding M.R. James, were you fortunate
enough to acquire the Ash-Tree publication "A
Pleasing Terror", the complete collection of every
supernatural story he wrote, published or not?
Gorgeous book, went immediately out of print.

offtopic2.gif , sorry.
Deluge
Thank you Oxy! I got the Pernod Fils this afternoon! I am going to wait until Sunday to sample it though!

Cheers!
Gertz
QUOTE (hartsmar @ Apr 11 2004, 06:36 PM)

Either way, I recently found a swedish forum where a bunch of folks had come across one of the "Pontarlier" absinthe recepies available all over the net, and some of them did some attempts to get something going. The photos I've seen isn't "all that", but you never know, give them time and they might succeed.

Would be nice if they did. We need a scandinavian HG scene ...
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Deluge @ Apr 14 2004, 05:17 PM)
Thank you Oxy! I got the Pernod Fils this afternoon!

Lose a Buick...get some Vintage Pernod Fils.

Seems like a fair trade.
Deluge
Oh yeah, my car. It is getting fixed as we speak! I have no clue at this point what it will cost.
wacko.gif

At least I already paid for the P. Fils! w00t2.gif
hartsmar
QUOTE (verbal_kraze @ Apr 12 2004, 12:57 PM)
Is this waht you're talking about, or is it a totally different beverage. This says it has aquavit, peach, ginger and some other flavors in it.

No no no!!!

Right here:
http://www.reimersholms.com/eng/brands.asp

In the menu at the right, there's the O.P Andersson. Click it.
hartsmar
QUOTE (Gertz @ Apr 14 2004, 03:18 PM)
We need a scandinavian HG scene ...

Oh yeah, we sure do!
Rimbaud
So, did anyone receive & taste their pre-ban Pernod Fils samples yet? If so, let's have a review, eh?
Deluge
I got my sample a while back. There was a small get together where the Pernod was sampled. Reviews and pics will be up at the lounge soon! I have another sample of a pre-ban Pernod on the way along with a sample of Taragona. I will write my review after I try those for comparison.
Deluge
I will say this, the Pernod was much different than I had expected. I can't say that there are any CO's out there that even compare in taste or comple(x)ity. I will write a review after the pics have been posted.

Cheers!
Rimbaud
How does it compare to HG's made from the Pontarlier recipe (if you've had any), such as Pignon et L'Epee or BaMa's Pontarlier?
Absomphe
Unfortunately, neither of those HGs made it to MWLF, so I don't think Deluge got to sample them. I would have been fascinated to hear a comparison, being a huge fan of the harhar.gif , and the harhar.gif .
Deluge
Well, I have heard that the BaMa 1910 is relatively close to the Pernod in some ways but I really have no point of reference to make any personal speculations. I would like to try ithe BaMa some day as well as the Pignon et L'epee. Until then I have had a Pontarlier which, although used the recipe from the Bedel text, did not seem that similar to the Pernod. I think that there is more going on in the Pernod than the recipes list.
Absomphe
Some of that may well have to do with a century's aging, and the slow oxidation over the decades, which tends to turn pre-ban absinthe a scotchy-brown color.

There's no way the color could be so significantly altered, with no corresponding alteration of flavor. I've had this conversation with Chrysippvs, who claims that the oxidation actually improves the compleshity, and depth of flavor, in really old absinthe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.